BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Done well with the bounce back season and love the turnaround and faith in youth this season.  Bang average at best for the other 3 years though no different than what numerous other average managers would deliver, give or take.

To be here so long is an achievement and the turnaround from last season has been great. If we are being brutally honest though he's also a very lucky manager to have survived some of it. He must say his prayers to the gods of India every night.

All being said he's been a good manager here given what we are these days thanks to various issues. He deserves some respect and to be left to just get on with it this season although some of the virtue signalling today on social media is embarrassing.

As that ex Palace owner on the radio would say he's just a man actually doing the job he's paid a hell of a lot of money to do.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pure blinkered view this. 

Look at the quality of player we have now, compared to then, Look at the number of academy player sin the squad. Look at the value of players compared to then. Dack, Armstrong, Brereton-excellent signings. 

Let’s see what quality of players we have next August.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray will travel to India to meet owners Venky’s to discuss his long-term future in the summer as the manager today marks five years in the job.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19941645.blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-set-venkys-contract-talks/

Couldn;t do it over Zoom no?  Gretta Thunberg will not be happy.

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray will travel to India to meet owners Venky’s to discuss his long-term future in the summer as the manager today marks five years in the job.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19941645.blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-set-venkys-contract-talks/

Long term future? He should be binned in the summer 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I actually really like this. It’s pleasing to see that the focus does seem very much on finishing the season strong and getting promoted.

Might be reading too much into it, but there’s a lot of talk of finishing off, and some distancing… I wouldn’t say he sounds like he’s confident he’ll be here beyond the end of the season.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I beg you Venkys please do not extend his contract.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I actually really like this. It’s pleasing to see that the focus does seem very much on finishing the season strong and getting promoted.

Might be reading too much into it, but there’s a lot of talk of finishing off, and some distancing… I wouldn’t say he sounds like he’s confident he’ll be here beyond the end of the season.

I got that impression too, that its a long goodbye. 

• Like 3

Depending how we finish the season (if we make top 6) I wouldn't be against a one year rolling deal. However, I do feel like this is the end of the Mowbray era, he's got us some good young players in the building and a squad that with a few additions next season could well challenge again under new management. 

Question is whether V's would get it right and go for someone like Bilic/Hughton/Jokanovic, or whether they do the classic and give it Mark Venus.

25 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I beg you Venkys please do not extend his contract.

I suspect that such is in the inflexibility of your opinion, that even an incredible promotion wouldn't even slightly change your opinion. I don't get why anyone would corner themselves with their opinion and not allow themselves to at least give some credit and change that opinion even slightly. I wanted him out too last summer 100% but as it stands I don't get how anyone can commit to this opinion with us 3rd in the table.

• Like 5

So plans afoot for the annal trip to Pune to speak to the owners after the season has finished. His first trip since 2019.

Positives to this - I think this is the best and probably only way Venkys are going to sanction any serious funds be that for new players or new contracts. Without that meeting with the top owners we will once again be relying on the loan market and selling players.

Negatives - it basically means Mowbray is here next season as long as he wants to be. There's an argument that he has earned that this season but I'd rather wait and see how things pan out before then. There's no way Venkys are going to take him and Waggott out to India to tell them they aren't needed. I'd rather there was more to the process than 'cart on Tony' but doubt it with Venkys.