BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

He still hasn't sorted out defence after nearly 4 years

Interesting stat in the LT the other day. Because we have so much possession we don't give away many chances for the opposition to score (which in fairness to Mowbray he did say a while ago that was the reason he wanted to go to a possession-based game), but the ones we do give away they invariably score from. That says everything about his defence. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Our problem is not the fact that we sometimes give away possession, but that if we do give it away the opposition nearly always score. Please pick or sign players who can defend.

Saturday's opening goal was a classic example, schoolboy under 11 team  defending. The player facing the ball - put your name on it and if you can't head it clear head it high so at least you can get another attempt at clearing it.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

So if you were CEO at Ewood, Mowbray would have a job for life irrespective of league results, league position and even what league we were in- could even be combination football at Pleasington with just you and half a dozen others watching! - ???

To have any credibility Chaddy, you have to stipulate under what circumstances you would sack Mowbray.

IMO, you are saying there are no circumstances that would make you inclined to sack Mowbray.  Do you have a photograph of Mowbray on your living room wall as he seems to be something akin to a 'boyhood hero' to you?

IMO, nonsensical and totally absurd.

No manager would have a job for life. 

I dont have to stipulate anything Mercer. When I think it's time for Mowbray to go I will post that. Until then he remains in charge for me and many other Rovers fans of similar opinion. 

Back to the pointless insults again Mercer with that sort of senseless and absurd comment. Abit like appointing a dingle like Paul Cook as Rovers manager. 

40 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think it is going to take a large slice of luck for us to progress in terms of results under Mowbray. 

Mowbray pros -

1. Overall he has done well in the transfer market. In my mind the only major black mark is Gallagher. And it think that is in part down to Mowbrays use of him. We now have a squad which I think is outstanding in comparison to where we were a few years ago.

2. Some don't think he don't think he does it enough but I think he has done a great job bringing through youth players. This has led to the squad being as strong as it is. 

3. Trust. The club is a club I can support again. Previously it was difficult watching people there for a payday and not caring about the club. I can support Rovers passionately again and there is understandably a huge fear in the hole which would be left in our infrastructure if Mowbray were to leave. Chaos is a ladder. If Mowbray left you can guarantee there would agents etc looking to make a quick buck coming out the woodwork. He is the stability. Who would make the decisions on the next manage. Nobody knows. 

Mowbray cons - 

1. Tactically he has not shown himself to be astute. The possession football isn't working because there is a lack of substance behind it. If merely keeping possession isn't working, saying things such as up the tempo, play less touches, get it into so and so's feet is not enough because it is intangible. At those moments the players are struggling for creativity and all those words are doing are placing more responsibility on them. We need something tangible such as working it to a player centrally, then wide, a cross played to a specific area where the striker already knows to be running. Something which is easy and takes the emphasis away from a player needing to do something special. That is the managers job. I don't think it happens because I see no pattern to our play. 

2. Defence. I think it is clear Mowbray does not know how to set it up. It's never improved. And i don't think this is purely down to personnel. We lack balance. We either sit right back and dig in (rare but we can do it), or we are trying to control to many aspects of the game by taking it to the opposition and getting caught out. There is no balance. 

We need a slice of luck one of two ways. If he was to go that proper football people are left to appoint the best manager available and it to be done efficiently. Or Mowbray sees that what we are doing isn't working, switches things up and stumbles across a formation that does. If we had the players available I wouldn't mind 3 at the back. As there is nothing to lose as the current set up isn't working. 

As it is I think we are going to continue treading water. We'll go on a run when players come back to fitness. But it won't be enough. Groundhog day strikes again.  

I can't see how anybody can think he's done well in the transfer market. He's got a very long list of duds that ends at the moment with Douglas but began with Whittington, Caddis, Gladwin etc etc.

Time for another Mowbray " in or out " poll I think.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see how anybody can think he's done well in the transfer market. He's got a very long list of duds that ends at the moment with Douglas but began with Whittington, Caddis, Gladwin etc etc.

Yes. There's been a lot of failures too. Even a rejuvenated Ben (who I like) isn't worth £7 million and certainly not a 2 year wait, Gally is a waste of £5 million. Walton must be one of the most costly signings ever in terms of mistakes. And that's not considering what he hasn't brought. Namely defenders. 

Armstrong and Dack are the huge hits. After that Kaminski and some astute loan signings who have never pushed us over the line. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Abit like appointing a dingle like Paul Cook as Rovers manager. 

And you wonder why folk ask how old you are. 

You obviously don’t know ‘exactly how a club should be run’ if you’d make such a juvenile and emotional approach to appointments...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The one good thing about Douglas is that he is only on loan. If I hear he has been given a contract that will be the end for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont have to stipulate anything Mercer. When I think it's time for Mowbray to go I will post that. Until then he remains in charge for me and many other Rovers fans of similar opinion. 

Back to the pointless insults again Mercer with that sort of senseless and absurd comment. Abit like appointing a dingle like Paul Cook as Rovers manager. 

Chaddy, all I have done is to ask you under what circumstances you would sack Mowbray.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable question and one you have not answered.

One can therefore only draw the conclusion that you are an avid admirer of Mowbray in a way that borders on boyhood / hero worship.  That is your right and entitlement should you feel that way.

I have made the observation that, IMO, as there do not seem to be any circumstances under which you would sack Mowbray, it seems, at least to me, to be nonsensical and absurd.

As for Paul Cook, I think he has done very well wherever he has been and the run Wigan put together in the final part of the season was fantastic and without that points deduction, they would have finished just two places below Rovers in 13th.  I would take Paul Cook over Mowbray every second of the day as, IMO, he has been successful, unlike Mowbray, at every club he has managed.

I also think it's time to drop all this 'dingle sh1t'.  I have good friends who are Burnley supporters and as I have asked you before, if you were lying in hospital needing emergency treatment to save your life, would you refuse the administration of that treatment as the consultant was a dingle!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I can understand reluctance to remove TM, as it was only in 2016 the clowns at the helm appointed Coyle and bombed us out of the division. 

What I can't understand is the suggestion we are progressing or improving under Mowbray. Parts of the squad are better, but performances and league position remain as they always have been. We're playing as badly now as we were last season during the 9 losses out of 11 run. The manager is still playing players out of position with no good reason. He still hasn't sorted out defence after nearly 4 years. We still choke pathetically every time the playoffs is in sight. 

We're stagnating and regression will inevitably happen, as it did under GB. Problem is by the time we make the change it'll be too late, as it always is under the current regime, and there's every chance they'll just make the situation worse with whatever they do next.

Venky's are still the root cause of our problems, as they have been since the day they darkened Ewood's doors. TM is just a symptom.

Brilliant, brilliant post!

There are a lot of people asking “Who would you replace Mowbray with?”

That’s a really lazy argument for keeping him. There are dozens of options out there.

If the question was “Who are Venky’s likely to replace him with?” It becomes a much more valid argument.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You talk about "pointless insults", and then decry a managerial suggestion on the grounds of it being a "dingle".

Your credibility is shot to pieces when your thinking is so tribal and blinkered.

I would take Cook, but a much better shout for me is Eddie Howe.

Presumably, the fact he dragged a club from the relegation zone in League Two to the Premier League will cut no ice with you, because he's a dingle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Brilliant, brilliant post!

There are a lot of people asking “Who would you replace Mowbray with?”

That’s a really lazy argument for keeping him. There are dozens of options out there.

If the question was “Who are Venky’s likely to replace him with?” It becomes a much more valid argument.

Well they did make one appointment that on the surface seemed logical. That was the appointment of the Lambert, Irvine, and the other guy who's name I always forget, team. Then they pulled the plug on the finance !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well they did make one appointment that on the surface seemed logical. That was the appointment of the Lambert, Irvine, and the other guy who's name I always forget, team. Then they pulled the plug on the finance !

Yeah. That was the one where I thought maybe they had learned their lesson. Ha!

It’s funny how Mowbray’s appointment is reimagined as some sort of coup. He was absolutely on the scrap heap before he came here and I bet he couldn’t believe his luck. Not a single Rovers fan would’ve appointed him if it was down to them, it was completely out of left field and the thing that set him apart from anyone else in the eyes of Venky’s was the agency that represent him. It’s worked out ok, to a point, but he should be just as grateful to us for the chance he’s had to rebuild his tattered reputation as we should be for the job he has done.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, phili said:

Let's say Venky's have given this season to be promoted before cutbacks happen in the summer. Would you still support him knowing that all assets will be sold in the summer?

I remember when Souness was appointed, it took him 5 months to assess the squad and plan who he needed for a promotion push the next season. We are probably in the same category now. Although i have a feeling of deja vu, as i do remember having the same argument last year.

This!

All the visible evidence seems to point to this being the season to go for it with the follow up plan of cutbacks, should we fail and FFP re-emerges.

We are certainly off the pace, but the situation is redeemable, as long as we don't fall too far behind.

But the question is how much more time should be allowed to go by before "they" decide that a managerial change is an absolute necessity to save this "make or break"season?

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Chaddy, all I have done is to ask you under what circumstances you would sack Mowbray.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable question and one you have not answered.

One can therefore only draw the conclusion that you are an avid admirer of Mowbray in a way that borders on boyhood / hero worship.  That is your right and entitlement should you feel that way.

I have made the observation that, IMO, as there do not seem to be any circumstances under which you would sack Mowbray, it seems, at least to me, to be nonsensical and absurd.

As for Paul Cook, I think he has done very well wherever he has been and the run Wigan put together in the final part of the season was fantastic and without that points deduction, they would have finished just two places below Rovers in 13th.  I would take Paul Cook over Mowbray every second of the day as, IMO, he has been successful, unlike Mowbray, at every club he has managed.

I also think it's time to drop all this 'dingle sh1t'.  I have good friends who are Burnley supporters and as I have asked you before, if you were lying in hospital needing emergency treatment to save your life, would you refuse the administration of that treatment as the consultant was a dingle!  

And I've said when I think its time for Mowbray to go I will post but we arent near that time at all yet. 

ridiculous, Absurd and stupid comment

I wouldn't want Cook anywhere near Blackburn Rovers football club and the Manager seat. Good for your Burnley supporters friends Mercer. Let him replace Dyche when he walks out on them soon. I gave a few names before as possible replacement and Cook deffo wouldn't be on that list a couple of weeks ago when people was on about sensible replacement. 

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dack, Armstrong, Kaminski, Smallwood, plus bring through Travis, Rankin-Costello, Buckley and then good loan signings like Reed, Antonsson. 

27 minutes ago, martonrover said:

, but a much better shout for me is Eddie Howe.

why would Howe drop to the championship level when he has been suggested for Newcastle job by their fans and Celtic? 

Didn't he leave Burnley who were in the championship at the time for League 1 Bournemouth for personal reasons? 

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

And the season before and the one before that....same old groundhog Chaddy. If everyone on here wanted him to stay, chaddy would be looking to sack him. 

Yawn!🥱

No Just happy with Mowbray as manager

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why? Cos I'm backing the manager. I know other Rovers supporters who are backing Mowbray so what's the problem? 

If you want a change of manager then fair enough and I accept that your view..shame you cant do the same. 

My age has nothing to do with you. 

No because only a fool states under no circumstances will I change my opinion. So if we are bottom of the league you will still support TM?

I then asked your age as I had hoped to be able to attribute your comment to the inexperience of youth, but alas I guess that is not the case. 

It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the passive aggressive, chip on your shoulder reply.

Just now, Ulrich said:

No because only a fool states under no circumstances will I change my opinion. So if we are bottom of the league you will still support TM?

I then asked your age as I had hoped to be able to attribute your comment to the inexperience of youth, but alas I guess that is not the case. 

It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the passive aggressive, chip on your shoulder reply.

But we aren't bottom of the league or in the bottom half the league so your point is irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would Howe drop to the championship level when he has been suggested for Newcastle job by their fans and Celtic? 

Didn't he leave Burnley who were in the championship at the time for League 1 Bournemouth for personal reasons? 

The point I was making is that Howe would be a decent candidate, but you would disregard him because he once managed Burnley.

As we are stuck with Tony on the road to nowhere, we will never find out, but I don't think it would be out of the question for him to come here.

If the personal reasons (at that time) were on the basis of location, then Glasgow and Newcastle wouldn't look too great either.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And I've said when I think its time for Mowbray to go I will post but we arent near that time at all yet. 

ridiculous, Absurd and stupid comment

I wouldn't want Cook anywhere near Blackburn Rovers football club and the Manager seat. Good for your Burnley supporters friends Mercer. Let him replace Dyche when he walks out on them soon. I gave a few names before as possible replacement and Cook deffo wouldn't be on that list a couple of weeks ago when people was on about sensible replacement. 

Dack, Armstrong, Kaminski, Smallwood, plus bring through Travis, Rankin-Costello, Buckley and then good loan signings like Reed, Antonsson. 

No Just happy with Mowbray as manager

I'd say a decent manager will get half of his signings right. A really good manager will get up around the 70% mark right.

Dack and Armstrong are undoubted success stories, After that there is very long list of players who regularly blow hot and cold, Holtby, Johnson, Brererton, Rothwell, etc followed by a fairly long list of players who have flopped. 

If I have more time later I'll list them all.