BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

20 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Right so he how’s he meant to react when the clubs so incompetent it can’t close any deals ? 

He could have started by, maybe trying the up-coming young forwards, in the dead rubber games at the end of last season, to see what they are like at championship level.

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

One win in five now per the form guide. After what seemed like a good start upon which to build, Mowbray is already - and unsuprisingly - reverting to type.

For a whole myriad of reasons, he is simply not capable of winning football matches with any level of consistency. Every day this carries on, is another wasted day.

We are 9th in the league table currently. Forget the form guide. 

If I was to offer you 9th place finish in May with Mowbray in charge and this squad would you or anyone accept that?

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Mowbray constantly cops the flack, but he’s been left with a wafer thin squad and very little in terms of options off the bench. Also I don’t think it’s the first time deals have been setup then changed last minute and they’ve fallen through. There’s no way Mowbray is happy with this squad any anger should be pointed at waggott and pasha for not getting deals over the line. Should Mowbray have gone in the summer arguably yes, he didn’t and they’ve left him with a wave thin squad and he is expected to work miracles   

Yes Mowbray should have gone in the summer after 3 years building a squad and we never came up to going up including last season squad size and we have the second top goalscorer in the league. 

on transfers, Rovers should have been better and more organise in bring in a striker. Waggott has to carry the can for not being in bring in the striker we needed but why did we wasted so long chasing Obafemi and why wait to the end of window before trying to bring in a striker. Surely we should have a striker line up and in negotiations with one or a few to agree a deal as soon as Armstrong transfer was done. We knew since February that he was very likely he would leave Rovers this season. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I accept he was limited with what he could do due to the budget but still look at the business we did do they are all similar type players.Poveda/Dolan/Khedra... Buckley/Clarkson.Filling the squad with midgets and his comments regarding Poveda suggests he will be playing false 9.

I would say Buckley is far from a midget and he gets stuck in as yesterday proves and won the ball back on several occasions. 

Poveda, Dolan and Khadra are wide players. I don't mind Dolan playing up front if his job is a similar role to the Swansea game but wouldn't do that if we have bought in a permanent striker in the last window. 

51 minutes ago, rigger said:

What I can't understand is Mowbrays thinking. Yesterday he took off Rothwell, who from all accounts was playing well. To be replaced by our, at best, fouth choice center-half, who we have been loaning out. I was under the impression that if you wanted to shut out a game, you leave the defence alone, shore up midfield and usual take off a striker.

I agree that we shouldn't formation at that time. But at 2 nil up after 65 mins I was saying we need a change as Luton was coming into the game but my first change would have Butterworth for Gallagher, But after they scored I said to the people I go with that Mowbray would go defensive and bring on Maglorie. 

47 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I don’t disagree with the comments re Gallagher he was extremely poor yesterday, I’d have hooked him for Butterworth around 60 mins. Yesterday he’s got no one on the bench to come on and put their foot on the ball. Can’t blame Mowbray for the clubs inability to close deals that have been lined up 

The sub I would have made. More Brereton up front and play Butterworth wide left, 

I think he could have fetch on Clarkson to put his foot on the ball. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are 9th in the league table currently. Forget the form guide. 

If I was to offer you 9th place finish in May with Mowbray in charge and this squad would you or anyone accept that?

Yes Mowbray should have gone in the summer after 3 years building a squad and we never came up to going up including last season squad size and we have the second top goalscorer in the league. 

on transfers, Rovers should have been better and more organise in bring in a striker. Waggott has to carry the can for not being in bring in the striker we needed but why did we wasted so long chasing Obafemi and why wait to the end of window before trying to bring in a striker. Surely we should have a striker line up and in negotiations with one or a few to agree a deal as soon as Armstrong transfer was done. We knew since February that he was very likely he would leave Rovers this season. 

I would say Buckley is far from a midget and he gets stuck in as yesterday proves and won the ball back on several occasions. 

Poveda, Dolan and Khadra are wide players. I don't mind Dolan playing up front if his job is a similar role to the Swansea game but wouldn't do that if we have bought in a permanent striker in the last window. 

I agree that we shouldn't formation at that time. But at 2 nil up after 65 mins I was saying we need a change as Luton was coming into the game but my first change would have Butterworth for Gallagher, But after they scored I said to the people I go with that Mowbray would go defensive and bring on Maglorie. 

The sub I would have made. More Brereton up front and play Butterworth wide left, 

I think he could have fetch on Clarkson to put his foot on the ball. 

Mowbray has already stated he sees Poveda as a central player 

And Buckley is small and lightweight

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

I don’t disagree with the comments re Gallagher he was extremely poor yesterday, I’d have hooked him for Butterworth around 60 mins. Yesterday he’s got no one on the bench to come on and put their foot on the ball. Can’t blame Mowbray for the clubs inability to close deals that have been lined up 

I think you definitely can blame Mowbray to close deals. If he’s just handing over a bunch of names then sitting back and saying sort it, then he’s at the very least partially to blame. I don’t know if that’s how it works but surely any player joining any club would want to speak to the manager to find out what his vision is.

Or if he’s actively speaking to prospective players (which he should be) and they’re still not signing again he’s partially to blame.

If he is speaking to players they’re happy with what the manager is saying then swag et al go rogue then he can be absolved from blame. But I’ve not heard that. 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Mowbray has already stated he sees Poveda as a central player 

And Buckley is small and lightweight

Buckley isn't lightweight at all. Did he look lightweight yesterday? 

Lets see what he does with Poveda now. Think his comments about him being a central player which I guess means the 10 role was based on us signing a striker. We didn't 

We would be much better off sticking to playing 4-3-3 formation IMO and playing Poveda wide 

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Buckley isn't lightweight at all. Did he look lightweight yesterday? 

Lets see what he does with Poveda now. Think his comments about him being a central player which I guess means the 10 role was based on us signing a striker. We didn't 

We would be much better off sticking to playing 4-3-3 formation IMO and playing Poveda wide 

Buckley made some good tackles and I do rate him, however he is lightweight?Or did I imagine all the times he got brushed off the ball with ease in the past?

We will see but don't think much longer till we are back playing a false 9 and it will be Poveda

2 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

That's surely what Clarkson was signed for. He's a ball playing midfielder.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thats the past. Was he brushed off the ball yesterday? 

He has been brushed off the ball this season.What are you trying to say here that Buckley is strong and can hold off players?

It's pointless trying to debate with you as you can never say anything negative about one of our players.

Like I said I rate Buckley but the fact of the matter is he does get brushed off the ball easily and he isn't a physically strong player 

3 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

Right so he how’s he meant to react when the clubs so incompetent it can’t close any deals ? 

I'd imagine if these "imaginary " players were "in the building" I'd say the club has done its job.  Before a player travels on the last day of deadline day you can bet the renumeration has been verbally agreed.

Mowbray and his mates (Fat)Ming and Jockey frightened the lad(s) off.......

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He has been brushed off the ball this season.What are you trying to say here that Buckley is strong and can hold off players?

It's pointless trying to debate with you as you can never say anything negative about one of our players.

Like I said I rate Buckley but the fact of the matter is he does get brushed off the ball easily and he isn't a physically strong player 

you have throw your toys out of the pram again. Buckley had a good game but some people will always let for little negatives again and again. 

Buckley is only 21 years old and he is getting strong season by season. You are looking for the finish product again!

5 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

Mowbray constantly cops the flack, but he’s been left with a wafer thin squad and very little in terms of options off the bench. Also I don’t think it’s the first time deals have been setup then changed last minute and they’ve fallen through. There’s no way Mowbray is happy with this squad any anger should be pointed at waggott and pasha for not getting deals over the line. Should Mowbray have gone in the summer arguably yes, he didn’t and they’ve left him with a wave thin squad and he is expected to work miracles   

I do agree that Mowbray has been left with a thin squad, and one that has been stripped of any quality and looks as poor as I can remember in recent history. I don't doubt Waggott and Pasha's incompetence but whilst we can speculate as to the exact reasons that deals didn't get over the line, the common denominator as ever is Venkys and they deserve the majority of the blame for the hollow shell of a squad we are left with.

That being said, there are still things that Mowbray very much can be blamed for, and the need to remove him from his job again comes to the fore. Even yesterday, he got his tactical changes and his substitutions all wrong, and again the 12m set of jokers up front failed to deliver. 16 games without a clean sheet is a horrendous stat too.

The fact we are thin on the ground lies at the feet of the manager alone. It proves a lack of foresight and planning if you ask me. He knew the score 4 months from the end of last season yet has done nothing to plan ahead. Any manager worth his salt would have a plan. It further shows that even if ever had a plan there there is a serious rift between him and maggot exemplified by the silence of the latter of this pair of incompetent buffoons!

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His that comment really warrant? 

Thats what winds me up with you but if any of them score on Tuesday will you celebrate the goal? 

Believe it or not, I spend so much of my time and money watching Rovers wanting them to win.

That comment comes from the frustration of them not being particularly good, especially Gallagher. I am not quite sure what you are trying to imply.

30 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The fact we are thin on the ground lies at the feet of the manager alone. It proves a lack of foresight and planning if you ask me. He knew the score 4 months from the end of last season yet has done nothing to plan ahead. Any manager worth his salt would have a plan. It further shows that even if ever had a plan there there is a serious rift between him and maggot exemplified by the silence of the latter of this pair of incompetent buffoons!

He shouldnt be in his job, but there is just no appreciation for how working for such shoddy owners must somewhat handicap a manager, especially working on such a pitiful budget despite a major sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

you have throw your toys out of the pram again. Buckley had a good game but some people will always let for little negatives again and again. 

Buckley is only 21 years old and he is getting strong season by season. You are looking for the finish product again!

What are you even talking about?Throw my toys out of the pram.

I have consistently defended Buckley on here and think he has good technique and will make a good career for himself.However the fact of the matter he isn't a physically strong player and he does get brushed off the ball and it has happened this season.

You just can't have a negative thing said about any rovers player.I see earlier you said we should have sold Nyambe as he is coming to the end of his deal?So I presume you think Brererton, Rothwell and Lenihen should have been sold aswell?

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

What are you even talking about?Throw my toys out of the pram.

I have consistently defended Buckley on here and think he has good technique and will make a good career for himself.However the fact of the matter he isn't a physically strong player and he does get brushed off the ball and it has happened this season.

You just can't have a negative thing said about any rovers player.I see earlier you said we should have sold Nyambe as he is coming to the end of his deal?So I presume you think Brererton, Rothwell and Lenihen should have been sold aswell?

Presumably based on his nonsense about not celebrating goals of players that have been criticised, had Nyambe scored yesterday, he wouldnt have celebrated.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Believe it or not, I spend so much of my time and money watching Rovers wanting them to win.

That comment comes from the frustration of them not being particularly good, especially Gallagher. I am not quite sure what you are trying to imply.

He shouldnt be in his job, but there is just no appreciation for how working for such shoddy owners must somewhat handicap a manager, especially working on such a pitiful budget despite a major sale.

We agreed a deal for Maja if reports are to be believed so must have been some money.

The manager had quite generous backing in previous seasons, he wasted that money 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was mentioned that it was another loan deal.

Im led to believe it was a permanent deal.

Loan or permanent, the manager is not blameless over the fact we had hardly money this window.Look at his time here and see how much has been wasted.

He should have been sacked no doubt but if it was my money I wouldn't have been giving him much either.

It wasn't the owners who decided to give Pears a 4 year deal, Ayala ,Johnson,Holtby , Downing (2nd spell).Mulgrew,Evans, Bennett,Smallwood etc new deals.

12 Million on Gallagher and Brererton.

Even with the limited budget this year did we need both Poveda and Khedra?Did we need to bring in two left backs on permanent transfers?

He has been backed, other teams with similar levels of income do not get that sort of financial backing 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Loan or permanent, the manager is not blameless over the fact we had hardly money this window.Look at his time here and see how much has been wasted.

He should have been sacked no doubt but if it was my money I wouldn't have been giving him much either.

It wasn't the owners who decided to give Pears a 4 year deal, Ayala ,Johnson,Holtby , Downing (2nd spell).Mulgrew,Evans, Bennett,Smallwood etc new deals.

Even with the limited budget this year did we need both Poveda and Khedra?Did we need to bring in two left backs on permanent transfers?

He has been backed, other teams with similar levels of income do not get that sort of financial backing 

This idea that he isn't getting a decent budget because the owners dont trust him is nonsensical, if it is true which I very much doubt, then why havent they just sacked him?! It is just a conspiracy based on a bit of over thinking, it is not constructive to totally turn off the taps as they have done, which has happened before and will happen again in the future.

I don't doubt that he has a very mixed transfer budget and am his biggest critic of the 12m duo. He shouldnt be in a job, end of. Keeping him but not giving him a competitive budget due to a lack of trust, that would be too thick even for Venkys.

We can speculate about what type of deal the Maja one was, but I prefer to judge on facts and what has actually been done rather than gossip and speculation. Received upwards of 15m, spend 500k and 4 cheap loans to make up the numbers. Pitiful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

100%

I don't know why it's so hard for some to digest this as it's all facts. Even his staunchest minority should be able to acknowledge it.

He's never had a top 6 challenging budget but we've never even landed in the top 10. That's under performing with whats been at his disposal at Ewood.

• Like 2