BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

If Mowbray is aware by now that a new contract won’t be offered then it places him and Rovers in a no win situation if you ask me. Where is his motivation going to come from knowing he is leaving? How does he motivate players who know he is off? How do the players respond on the pitch or training knowing a new manager is just around the corner? How does he even try to appease the split fan base?

I try and avoid reading or listening to anything he says but whenever I’ve heard anything recently he sounds like a man who know’s he’s on the way out.

18 hours ago, blondie said:

It's my understanding the 3 year cycle is rolling, not a 3 year cycle and start again.

My understanding is the same as yours, but by clearing out the old guard on massive (for Rovers) salaries the rolling average will give a new manager more leeway than Mowbray has had.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I try and avoid reading or listening to anything he says but whenever I’ve heard anything recently he sounds like a man who know’s he’s on the way out.

It's a dangerous situation for our club to be in. You never know how people will react to it, he may feel shafted, he could feel hard-done by, and who knows how that will transpire. We're always walking a tightrope with the Vs running our club and it never seems to end well for us. Ridiculous situation of our own making, if he is no longer wanted, sack him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

My understanding is the same as yours, but by clearing out the old guard on massive (for Rovers) salaries the rolling average will give a new manager more leeway than Mowbray has had.

Only if the ownership provides the same budgets and the cutback isn't permanent. If that's the case there is big trouble ahead no matter who is manager.

6 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

If Mowbray is aware by now that a new contract won’t be offered then it places him and Rovers in a no win situation if you ask me. Where is his motivation going to come from knowing he is leaving? How does he motivate players who know he is off? How do the players respond on the pitch or training knowing a new manager is just around the corner? How does he even try to appease the split fan base?

Short term not so good, long term better for the club. I'll take short term no wins in this case.

I think we'll deteriorate under Mowbray and I see no signs of improvement with his weird methods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

On a different (and more enjoyable) topic, just seen on breakfast tv a clip from a new series starting tonight at 9pm on BBC 2 called “Fever Pitch”

It’s about the rise of the Premier League and tonight’s program features Rovers pretty heavily. 
Looks like a good watch and a reminder of the most incredible period in Rovers history. Happy days!

I hope Madam D watches it and gets a reminder of the legacy she has promised to respect. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I still find it odd that an Alex Neil (and similar) would turn us down. He’s hardly got clubs queuing up and it’s a very cushty gig at Ewood as Mowbray has proved.

He wanted a break from the game for a while is what I heard.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't know about them chaddy but Neil was definitely approached.

I wonder who did the approaching ? Presumably not Waggott.

Sad state of affairs if we can't tempt an out of work manager who lives down the road. 

Did we then just give up and say 'sod it - Mowbray will do for another season'!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I wonder who did the approaching ? Presumably not Waggott.

Sad state of affairs if we can't tempt an out of work manager who lives down the road. 

Did we then just give up and say 'sod it - Mowbray will do for another season'!

Why wouldn't it be Waggott and Pasha approach these managers? 

You seem posted on here that they was falling out between the 2 last season. Then just look back at that Post match interview after the Reading away game was bizarre and seems to be saying that someone was trying to oust him reading between the lines

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I still find it odd that an Alex Neil (and similar) would turn us down. He’s hardly got clubs queuing up and it’s a very cushty gig at Ewood as Mowbray has proved.

It would have been easy for him to speak to a few around the club and find out how chaotic it is. Most managers won't fancy it I think. Why work for an absente landlord with a complete lack of clarity on investment?

The way the club's run must sound mental to any manager, even if the budgets etc have turned out to be okay until this summer.

A decent manager is only going to come imo if they can speak to the owners and get guarantees on investment.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Music to my ears, lets just hope the rest of the pathetic managment goes with him

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He didn't turn us down, he was never approached and neither was his agent, straight from the horses mouth only last week.

He was never approached earlier this year, it was BS.

Edited by Gav

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

where is this from? Have you met him Gav?

A very good friend of mine, season ticket holder, spoke to him recently, incidentally it was at the same event where he spoke to Lambert after he'd resigned in 2016 and got the reason why he walked. 

I have no idea if we put the feelers out for a new manager in April, reading between the lines we never did, but we certainly never went near Neil, thats for sure. 

Edited by Gav

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

He didn't turn us down, he was never approached and neither was his agent, straight from the horses mouth only last week.

So when you say straight from the horses mouth. You mean someone else heard it from the horses mouth.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

So when you say straight from the horses mouth. You mean someone else heard it from the horses mouth.

I hear Mastermind has a spare chair Ian 😉

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gav said:

It wasn't Gav. Not that it really matters. Unless you've spoken to Alex himself your source is as second hand as mine (and others) was and he was pretty adamant that he had been sounded out. We may never know.

6 hours ago, JohnGo said:

The FFP calculations take in previous two years and the projection for this season.

We have obviously had to reign in our salary levels as a consequence of the mis-management and Covid effect.

So any new manager would not have the usual "new money" bounce, this presumably ties in with the supposed u-turn on sacking Mowbray.

We are effectively on a self imposed embargo, due to the profligacy of the previous 2 seasons.

Not really surprising that in April whilst a decision had been made, the lack of funds made the position unattractve to potential managers.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

A very good friend of mine, season ticket holder, spoke to him recently, incidentally it was at the same event where he spoke to Lambert after he'd resigned in 2016 and got the reason why he walked. 

I have no idea if we put the feelers out for a new manager in April, reading between the lines we never did, but we certainly never went near Neil, thats for sure. 

Think you are being a bit naive there Gav!

Do you honestly think Neil would admit to a random Rovers' fan that he'd been sounded out particularly when the club has a manager in situ!?!?

I'm pretty certain there's more to this than meets the eye!

• Like 2