• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

If we can add a left back without losing anybody I think it’s been a very good window for us. Dolan has been a very welcome surprise package and the form of Johnson has been like a new signing after being pretty average last season. We don’t have the depth to manage a heap of injuries but our starting 11 will be very competitive and could see us have a decent season.

Only concern is that we know we are a team capable of going on an 8 game winning streak only to go and lose away at Wycombe.

15 minutes ago, Ricky said:

If we can add a left back without losing anybody I think it’s been a very good window for us. Dolan has been a very welcome surprise package and the form of Johnson has been like a new signing after being pretty average last season. We don’t have the depth to manage a heap of injuries but our starting 11 will be very competitive and could see us have a decent season.

Only concern is that we know we are a team capable of going on an 8 game winning streak only to go and lose away at Wycombe.

8 wins out of 9 will do just fine; even better of the matches we lose aren't promotion contenders. ?

It would be on the face of it a good window if we got Douglas over the lin but of course there are some ifs and buts in there.

The main signing that stands out is Ayala, if he stays fit he should be exactly what we needed. Douglas would be a good short term stop gap to the left back position and a proven player again assuming he doesnt get injuries, although we would be in a similar position next summer to what we faced this summer in goal, with no players there. That being said, if we dont go up this year I suspect there will be a few major sales.

In goal it is all a bit more uncertain. Kaminski has started well although he hasnt been called upon very often so time will tell if he is the real deal. And the other fella is a total unknown at this stage but in an ideal world will not be called upon if Kaminski stays fit and in form.

Aside from that, Dolan is a nice little bonus. There would be questions about squad depth though, our bench has looked very weak for the first few games and I still think we could have done with quality cover for Travis and a wide player with real quality but if, and its a big if that we get Douglas, we have at least addressed the main 3 areas.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

If we don't end up signing a left-back its a disgrace and will surely come back on us.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No. Same defence as 4 years ago.

The question was if Douglas signs, and I’m sorry but I fail to see how a defence of Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is the same defence as Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. 

(Gordon Greer also made 30 apps that season but I’ve gone with Mulgrew to try and not be biased in any way).

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

The signing of Douglas has its pros and cons imo.

There is no doubt that he bringing some crucial promotion experience to our young side, and at the age of 31 you would like to think that he isn’t quite past it. In terms of his quality on the ball there is little to question, his delivery is fantastic and he offers us a reliable set piece option. I’d go as far as to say that when it comes to final delivery I believe he would be our best option from fullback. 

On the flip side I question if he suits our style of play. I look at Leeds from last season, whose style has significant similarities to the one we have now adopted, where he actually struggled to fit in. While he played a significant part in wolves promotion a couple of years back, I don’t think the same can be said for his role in leed’s one. I am not quite sure if he has the pace or the legs to play in our current system, which needs both attributes for the press and our play in transition. 

In terms of his defending, I don’t really have a clue, though I do worry that his best form has come from the wingback position where defensive qualities are less important than at full back. Nevertheless I wouldn’t be against this signing and he’ll have my full backing if he joins, I don’t doubt that he’ll be an improvement on the bell of last season.

Excellent post.

The lad's been around a fair bit - think he's had something like six clubs in ten years;  there must be a reason for that.

Additional, concern for me is that he seems a bit injury prone - we need players who we know will be available for getting on for 90% of our games.

However, on balance, think he would be a good signing for the season and would take him over Bell any day of the week.

34 minutes ago, 47er said:

If we don't end up signing a left-back its a disgrace and will surely come back on us.

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

24 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

"Any" left back? With the supposedly additional scope given to us by an extended European scouting network, if we end the window with just the proven to be inadequate Amarii Bell as a sole left back, that isnt demanding that we should blow money on someome not up to it, that is a failure in terms of recruitment in that position.

36 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

I don't agree. I think Bell gets unfair abuse, but it's clear he isn't a reliable option and the system we use required incredibly fit full backs. What happens if he gets injured? We will be playing Rothwell at full back - you think I am joking but that is why will happen.

A new left back is utterly crucial.

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

Yet if we do sign someone who  subsequently turns out to be useless, I'm sure you'll be all for it initially!

You'll applaud us if we don't make a signing as it supposedly demonstrates financial prudence but  equally if we do sign anyone you'll applaud that as well.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The question was if Douglas signs, and I’m sorry but I fail to see how a defence of Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is the same defence as Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. 

(Gordon Greer also made 30 apps that season but I’ve gone with Mulgrew to try and not be biased in any way).

Last time i looked our defence was Nyambe Lenihan Williams and Bell. Virtually the same defence in league 1 season 2017/18.

Keeper is same as Raya, and we have added a mid thirties carthorse.  Has Douglas signed?

If Del is starting we have stood still

Edited by Sparks Rover
9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Last time i looked our defence was Nyambe Lenihan Williams and Bell. Virtually the same defence in league 1 season 2017/18.

Keeper is same as Raya, and we have added a mid thirties carthorse.  Has Douglas signed?

If Del is starting we have stood stil

But Bell barely played for us in L1.

Who's this 'mid thirties carthorse' we've signed?

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

That's not true at all. What it means is that we haven't found and persuaded a left back available at a price we were willing to pay.

To say otherwise as though it's a fact is to say that our recruitment is perfect. Nobody in the world has perfect recruitment.

Loved your work making the score for Dark btw.

Edited by bluebruce
7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Del is starting we have stood still

Are you messing about on a wind up or do you just not have a clue?

Some of the stuff you come out with.

Mols better than Buckley?If Mols is up to it why has he gone on loan to the Spanish 4th division,I'm sure if he is as good as you say then he would have been scouted by other EFL teams and signed.

Dack an awful signing and crap player when we bought him according to you.

Now you are calling Ayala a carthorse despite him being one of the best defenders at this level in years gone by and only 29 years old.

The same defence as four years ago.As has been pointed out both Lenihen and Nyambe are better players now,Ayala a top defender at this level and if we sign Douglas he has two promotions to the Prem in last 3 years.

Talking nonsense, you must be on a wind up

9 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

No Rovers fan has ever said "just buy any left-back"----you've made that up.

To go into a new season where we hope to at least threaten the top six with only one left-back and that a very vulnerable Bell is/would be a disgrace. We have known for a long time we needed keeper(s), centre-back and leg-back. Our defence was crap last season.

Do you really think Bell will play 46 games? Any other club in the division risking that?