BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fans Forum / Roverstore

Going to put this here. I thought about e-mailing the club but concluded it would be filed under 'concerning but hey-ho'. Perhaps a collection of such anecdotes from across the fanbase all at once might have to be officially addressed in the minutes of a forum meeting.

I make no comment on the game yesterday beyond pride and disappointment.

The organisation, stewarding and policing yesterday were the worst I have experienced in 35+ years of attending football.

Organisation/Use of stewards

Coaches arrived either late or almost late, many with the wrong numbers. I saw dozens of people having to get off coaches as the numbers were changed after they got on. There were dozens of stewards (mostly young and clearly inexperienced) rambling about but not a single one seemed to be aware of which coaches were where. For 1/2 hour after departure time, large groups of people wandered around trying to find their coach with no assistance.

Our coach set off last, at 8:35, and had to collect several people who had been left behind having failed to find their own coaches. I say coach. It was a double-decker with no toilet facilities for a long trip and deeply uncomfortable seats. It struggled to get uphill at more than 30mph. Not ideal on the M62.

All of this was annoying. The real incompetence occurred in Sheffield. Some fellas were let off near the city centre and immediately started urinating by the side of the road. Randomly, the driver stopped the coach on the main road at the wrong side of the ground and told us he had no clue where we'd find the coach later, but to ask a steward. OK?

Our coach, along with 2 others, was parked a fair distance away from the ground nowhere near all other coaches. This was not relayed to any police or stewards near the ground until much later. We walked aimlessly for almost half an hour before finally being directed there by a copper who'd heard its location on the radio. No stewards from the coaches in sight as they had stayed sat next to the lost coaches. We were eventually directed past a rowdy pub full of people chucking stuff by a policeman using Google Maps. Geting there, we had a bit of a moan and the steward looked up from checking on his mobile to say how bad the police were. Erm... Self-awareness? The coach left only half-full. No idea where the other half went or if they were simply left behind.

Police

The minimum wage jobsworths functioning as coach stewards were incompetent and annoying. S Yorks Police were dangerous. Leaving the busy concourse through the one exit into a crush of home and away fans was the first time ever I was truly worried for my safety at a game (including lone away trips, Feyenoord etc). A line of police stopped home fans walking up to (most of) the coaches but this served merely to increase the crush on the other half of the tiny side street as thousands of Blades walked along the road to the city centre and thousands of Rovers tried to cross. One fight started right by me but the real threat was being swept along and any major disorder could easily have resulted in crush deaths. In that city of all cities, it seems lessons have not been learnt.

• Like 4

By and large the stewarding at Ewood has long been useless.

It's just the club ticking boxes for ground regulation and a load of kids turning up standing around collecting some pay then going home.

The coaches thing though i think people should just let it lie it's a one off everybody got there and back as far as we know. If you're paying good money for it you should expect service to match. However they've subsidised it to help get as many there as possible because of the stupid ko time and clearly they've done it on the cheap.

It isn't a long journey whatsoever and people have a responsibility to sort themselves out but no doubt many turn up expecting to be treated like VIPs and many other just pissed already.

It was great back in the day when they hired fleets of Shearings up to date coaches and had John Williams putting the customer first.

Sadly it's a pound shop operation these days run by a twobob operator so i wouldn't expect much if it were me.

Edited by tomphil

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

May well be right if their poster is ITK, but normally Sky only show a 5.30pm Championship game if they've no PL game at that time, and they do on that day, Man Utd v Chelsea.

But who bloody knows with Sky and us these days 🤷‍♂️

Man Utd v Chelsea won't be happening though as it's FA Cup semi final weekend.

• Like 3

By kick off all rivals will only have 2 games left (we'll still have Burnley GIH too).

Not unconceivable that we go into this knowing 3 points would guarantee us a playoff spot! Would only need to be 4 points clear (current gap) at kick off.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Kits and sponsors are on the agenda but I would be amazed if we get to see anything.

thanks for the reply. I just thought they would show you and give some feedback from the fans forum whilst you keep the shirts private

Season tickets and the prices has to be top of the agenda.

It needs a couple on the FF to really tell Waggott how out of touch him and the whole club are.

What are we gaining by raising the prices again after next weekend?

I also presume that whatever the price is after next weekend will be the starting prices for next season too. Dressed up as a "price freeze".

• Like 3

Can be the only club in the country with a small active fanbase who does a token gesture to get the hardcore renewing early then does everything they can to discourage everybody else.

Thick as mince.

• Like 3