BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If there is any truth, which I would doubt with the Lancs Live being such a flimsy source, then it is depressing to see players who have done barely anything in a Rovers shirt holding us to ransom. Have either done anything to mean they would be a huge miss?

Why would you not want to keep either of them? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would you not want to keep either of them? 

Never said that, just that neither has done much. Rothwell constantly flatters to deceive so not arsed, probably prudent to keep, Rankin Costello is injury prone, unsure of his best position and again hasnt nailed down a spot, best to keep him but im just saying in general if there is truth that such underwhelming players have all the power in negotiations.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Never said that, just that neither has done much. Rothwell constantly flatters to deceive so not arsed, probably prudent to keep, Rankin Costello is injury prone, unsure of his best position and again hasnt nailed down a spot, best to keep him but im just saying in general if there is truth that such underwhelming players have all the power in negotiations.

Rankin-Costello when he played has performed well enough.

Rothwell should be starting more than not now. 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Think that's fairly harsh on JRC. Nyambe is highly rated and it's not like it makes a huge difference which one plays there. If it's not JRCs natural position, fair play to him, because he's decent there. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Think that's fairly harsh on JRC. Nyambe is highly rated and it's not like it makes a huge difference which one plays there. If it's not JRCs natural position, fair play to him, because he's decent there. 

I definitely agree that Rankin Costello is not in his natural position. Doesnt stop crosses coming in for a start and his positioning is suspect. He is definitely worth keeping around if we can, and perhaps moulding into the position he is going to be long term, full back or indeed winger, and the injuries are a concern too, but if there is truth in 2 players who are still not sure of a place in our best 11 are unsure whether to resign, that is a sad indictment on the club really.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin-Costello when he played has performed well enough.

Rothwell should be starting more than not now. 

Why should he? Bar an occasional wonder goal he rarely contributes.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I definitely agree that Rankin Costello is not in his natural position. Doesnt stop crosses coming in for a start and his positioning is suspect. He is definitely worth keeping around if we can, and perhaps moulding into the position he is going to be long term, full back or indeed winger, and the injuries are a concern too, but if there is truth in 2 players who are still not sure of a place in our best 11 are unsure whether to resign, that is a sad indictment on the club really.

Why should he? Bar an occasional wonder goal he rarely contributes.

The reason why is because him and Nyambe are good competion for that position. I would like to see him played in his favoured position, no idea what that is 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he has talent there. Just need the right manager to appoint and unlock that talent. Similar to when Hughes signed Bentley and unlocked his talent. 

I would love Rothwell to suddenly and unexpectedly start impacting on games on a regular basis, sadly I think he is one of many players who never actually kicks on and does so. He is now 26 and has never done so so far, there is time to do so but David Bentley was a 22 year old with only one full season under his belt, so it is not a direct comparison.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would love Rothwell to suddenly and unexpectedly start impacting on games on a regular basis, sadly I think he is one of many players who never actually kicks on and does so. He is now 26 and has never done so so far, there is time to do so but David Bentley was a 22 year old with only one full season under his belt, so it is not a direct comparison.

I wouldn't judge any player under this manager. And regardless of age some players can suddenly enjoy a purple patch. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not direct Comparison IMO but it is in my opinion. 

Mowbray hasn't got enough out of Rothwell talent in 3 years at the club. Surely Mowbray should be held accountability for it? 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I wouldn't judge any player under this manager. And regardless of age some players can suddenly enjoy a purple patch. 

Maybe but to be fair its not as if at any point in his career, Rothwell has regularly been scoring/assisting and standing out.

I have long held an opinion that the squad is considerably overrated by the majority. To clarify, that isnt a defence of the manager, but I regularly see it described as a top 6 squad and I dont think it is close to being one, and that is down to the manager who has spent time and money assembling it.

At the end of the day, this squad even with so much time and money put into it is not getting results any better than the one we came up with. One in which the likes of Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett etc featured regularly and was very one dimensional.

Could a new manager get something out of some of our squad that hasnt yet come out in their careers or indeed not for a while? Perhaps, but I look at the squad, only made worse by the contractual negligence with quite a few, and think it needs gutting really, the "journey" needs to be started again.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have long held an opinion that the squad is considerably overrated by the majority. To clarify, that isnt a defence of the manager, but I regularly see it described as a top 6 squad and I dont think it is close to being one, and that is down to the manager who has spent time and money assembling it.

It's no worse than Barnsley's squad.

IMHO, where people get it wrong is seeing a few quality players come in and thinking that's all that matters. Of course good players make a difference, but a quality manager in an ultra  competitive division like the Championship is the difference between 16th and 6th - even with the same players. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's no worse than Barnsley's squad.

IMHO, where people get it wrong is seeing a few quality players come in and thinking that's all that matters. Of course good players make a difference, but a quality manager in an ultra  competitive division like the Championship is the difference between 16th and 6th - even with the same players. 

I would agree that Barnsleys squad is perhaps on paper not a top 6 squad, and it is indeed their manager that is the main difference maker. But I also do feel like a new manager here will need to do a bit of a clear out this summer and indeed people do overrate our squad at the same time. Other managers may be able to get more out of some players we have already but I just think that most of our squad arent particularly good. We need a new manager first and foremost but also a number of new players.

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Personally think a proper coaching set up could get a better tune out of Rothwell, but then again he’s 26 and maybe this is all there is. 

Perhaps a QPR, a Forest would take a punt.

The fact that a 26-yr-old attacking midfielder - he certainly can’t defend - has scored only 13 goals in his entire professional career can’t all be Mowbray’s fault. Two scuffed shots in great positions the other night sum him up for me. Sell.

• Like 2

In fairness to both Rothwell and JRC it cannot help that the formation and eleven selected changes more frequently then the British weather! I suspect Rothwell does flatter to decide but it's not as easy to tell when we has played a variety of positions with a heck of a lot of different players. I do wonder whether the right manager would pick a formation and find a role for Rothwell where he is an asset. That's what good managers do, and the lad does have talent if no consistency as yet. I'd feel a lot more confident in letting him go if we had someone with a plan in charge. 

JRC I think has a ton of potential. His versatility sometimes works against him as it stops him nailing down a spot, although TMs constant tinkering doesn't help either. Definitely one I would keep as huge potential imo. 

That neither are clamouring to sign, as others have said, shows what a trainwreck we are. 

On 20/02/2021 at 18:04, Torgeir said:

Wouldn't give Dolan 3 1/2 year contract. Bright start but can't see him becoming a real player for us. L1 standard I'm afraid, but so are we at the moment.

Wow, that post is going to be absolute message board gold in time. In fact, now - he's already clearly better than L1.

• Like 3

On 15/03/2021 at 09:19, Wheelton Blue said:

The situation with Dack could/should give more opportunity for Rothwell, at least for the remainder of the season.

He's just not consistent IMO; he goes missing far too often and flatters with a wonder goal once or twice a season.

He has had opportunities. I for one have given up on him ever being consistent. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I thought the last game summed Rothwell up, lots of direct running and real potential but somehow played the two worst passes in the game as well.

Like Kasey Palmer (although different styles but almost identical stats this season) all the parts of his game are there it just doesn’t always click at once 

Edited by Tom

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wow, that post is going to be absolute message board gold in time. In fact, now - he's already clearly better than L1.

The main problem with that post is that we are clearly not League 1 standard as a team. Dolan I am not convinced could be described as "already clearly better than L1" as he is still very raw and lacking substance but it makes prudent sense to tie him down long term and hope his game becomes more complete over time as he is still yet to complete a full professional season.