BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Because tactically Mowbrays substitutions are poor, to say the least.

So, what changes would you have made yesterday considering that one was down to Pickering getting injured plus Buckley and Khadra looked shattered when they came off? so who would you have bought on? 

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

It was not who Mowbray took off, but who he brought on in replacement. For me Dolan should have been Khadras replacement.

I understood the Gallagher sub and would have done the same personally. On a pitch whereby the owners cost cutting is already showing in a bad way, it wasn't really a day for running with the ball, and I thought that Gallagher's power in behind and his strength could have been useful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I understood the Gallagher sub and would have done the same personally. On a pitch whereby the owners cost cutting is already showing in a bad way, it wasn't really a day for running with the ball, and I thought that Gallagher's power in behind and his strength could have been useful.

was you happy with Gallagher and Dolan subs? 

• Backroom

Without going into Buckley’s increased girth he’s been a joy to watch this season, and I was far from convinced on him previously as he was too often a passenger. He’s matured and grown into the role, his intelligence and how he’s always on the half then makes him a real asset.

I thought he was really quite poor yesterday and it highlighted how much he makes us tick when on form picking the ball up on the turn and picking a pass.

The guys have done a great job with him, reminds me of somewhat a Berkovic / Tugay hybrid, if he ends up half as good as either he’ll be awesome 

At the moment he’s not a 90 minute player and is a bit silly with his fouls but he’ll get there.

I thought mowbrays comments on him a little odd, apparently his Mrs tackles more than him but we’ve seen he puts a lot of tackles in 

Edited by Tom

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They seemed sensible to me.

I agree with you. 

I was discussing with friends about changing formation before the first sub and taking a risk cos we looked very solid at the back but we just didn't have enough in attacking third to trouble enough. Maybe go 4-4-2 with Dolan and Edun wide with Brereton and Gallagher. Allowing us to go longer and put more crosses in but was it worth risking the clean sheet and the point. Not sure it was 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with you. 

I was discussing with friends about changing formation before the first sub and taking a risk cos we looked very solid at the back but we just didn't have enough in attacking third to trouble enough. Maybe go 4-4-2 with Dolan and Edun wide with Brereton and Gallagher. Allowing us to go longer and put more crosses in but was it worth risking the clean sheet and the point. Not sure it was 

As a team chasing promotion, anything less than 3 points at home is frustrating, so we shouldnt be afraid at home. That being said, Brereton is not known for his aeriel prowess nor are either of your suggested wide men especially Dolan known for their ability to cross.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As a team chasing promotion, anything less than 3 points at home is frustrating, so we shouldnt be afraid at home. That being said, Brereton is not known for his aeriel prowess nor are either of your suggested wide men especially Dolan known for their ability to cross.

I wasn't frustrated by the result as we can't win every game and we have to give Huddersfield credit for the defensive job they did plus the conditions didn't help one bit. 

Edun and Dolan would give pace down the wings to get in behind their wing backs creating gaps in the back 3 hopefully. 

Hasn't Brereton scored headers this season? 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wasn't frustrated by the result as we can't win every game and we have to give Huddersfield credit for the defensive job they did plus the conditions didn't help one bit. 

Edun and Dolan would give pace down the wings to get in behind their wing backs creating gaps in the back 3 hopefully. 

Hasn't Brereton scored headers this season? 

Its ok to be frustrated when we dont win. That doesnt imply that you expect to win every single game. I am always frustrated when we dont win at home, never more so than when we are up at the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its ok to be frustrated when we dont win. That doesnt imply that you expect to win every single game. I am always frustrated when we dont win at home, never more so than when we are up at the top.

But I wasn't frustrated yesterday. 

We never created enough to win the game and never on top after the first 15 mins

I know that tactics have changed and Buckley's role is different from a No.10 in a 4-4-2, but in Rovers recent history, fantastic players like David Dunn and David Bentley were played in that No.10 role and struggled - and, ultimately, were moved back into centre mid or right mid. It goes to show the challenge Buckley faces in proving himself in that comparable role - albeit, it's arguably somewhat easier with two wing-forwards supporting, rather than a single striker.

A challenge Buckley faces is how he adapts his game when Rovers have the majority of the ball. Teams will, I think, increasingly defend deep and flood the midfield against us, fearing our counter-attack. Rather than turn and play a through ball, he's got to be patient and dictate the play. He may have to play, in those circumstances, more often with his back to goal, which will be more like the No.10 role.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

did he not score with his head against preston

On 04/01/2022 at 07:04, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with you. 

It will be interesting to see how Mowbray starts responding when things stop going our way. In a way we've been quite fortunate that the current setup is working and there hasn't been any reason to tweak things. However, as we saw against Huddersfield... some teams are very hard to breakdown. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miker said:

It will be interesting to see how Mowbray starts responding when things stop going our way. In a way we've been quite fortunate that the current setup is working and there hasn't been any reason to tweak things. However, as we saw against Huddersfield... some teams are very hard to breakdown. 

I’ve been thinking about that ever since that game. I think the conditions didn’t help us but having said that we may get similar conditions again before the end of the season. We need a plan B for games like that. When we’ve played our football for 60-70 minutes and it’s not working. We need a game changer. I’d have been tempted to bring Ayala on and stick Van Hecke up front and see how they dealt with a bit of ale house style football.

Failing that we need a Berkovic/Bohinen type of player who can open doors. A more experienced/crafty version of Buckley that can come on a give us a good 30 minutes of subtlety in the last third.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 20:32, chaddyrovers said:

But I wasn't frustrated yesterday. 

We never created enough to win the game and never on top after the first 15 mins

We missed a sitter and had at least one penalty (arguably two) ignored by an incompetent referee as well as a blatant red card.

Due to the way Huddersfield set up it was always likely to be tight and decided by an odd goal so to be denied that by the above made it very frustrating indeed.

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We missed a sitter and had at least one penalty (arguably two) ignored by an incompetent referee as well as a blatant red card.

Due to the way Huddersfield set up it was always likely to be tight and decided by an odd goal so to be denied that by the above made it very frustrating indeed.

If you frustrated JH then fair enough but as I always I wasn't as I said before. 

Expected Huddersfield to come a point and match us formation wise as they did. 

Refeeres in this league aren't good enough so I expected poor decision especially from that referee. 

Plus the weather conditions were awful

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wasn't convinced by either penalty appeal. For the first, a foul was not given on the edge of the box, but after that Brereton never regained his balance and went down very easily, not a penalty for me. The handball was not a penalty for me either as O'Brien was very close to Travis.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wasn't convinced by either penalty appeal. For the first, a foul was not given on the edge of the box, but after that Brereton never regained his balance and went down very easily, not a penalty for me. The handball was not a penalty for me either as O'Brien was very close to Travis.

Well according to former ref Keith Hackett it was penalty on Brereton and Holmes should have been sent off. Also agreed with Mowbray's comments about the ref performance..

https://www.footballinsider247.com/ex-premier-league-referee-holmes-deserves-extended-ban-as-embarrassing-blackburn-rovers-huddersfield-footage-analysed/

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well according to former ref Keith Hackett it was penalty on Brereton and Holmes should have been sent off. Also agreed with Mowbray's comments about the ref performance..

https://www.footballinsider247.com/ex-premier-league-referee-holmes-deserves-extended-ban-as-embarrassing-blackburn-rovers-huddersfield-footage-analysed/

In his opinion. My opinion was that it wasnt a penalty, a free kick on the edge of the box only, the second incident was not worthy of a foul/penalty. Brereton was already off balance and very much tried and failed to buy a penalty.

The Holmes one was obviously a red card although I would suggest that it likely would have made a significant difference seeing as it was with only 10 minutes to go. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

In his opinion. My opinion was that it wasnt a penalty, a free kick on the edge of the box only, the second incident was not worthy of a foul/penalty. Brereton was already off balance and very much tried and failed to buy a penalty.

The Holmes one was obviously a red card although I would suggest that it likely would have made a significant difference seeing as it was with only 10 minutes to go. 

Look in Monday’s paper. No pen, no red card.