BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• 4 weeks later...

Buckley signs new long-term deal! | rovers.co.uk

Great news. Shows how much he's rated at the club. Broughton's wise words about Buckley' potential to become a Premier League footballer are spot on.  Buckley has certainly got the ability. Obviously no everyone agrees, but there are none so blind as those who will not see. 😉

image.png.7e504ac79561e28cab6828225a82c98f.png

It’s a great bit of business in my opinion and perhaps shows that Broughton is keeping a proper eye on the existing contracts. Buckley has had a dip in form recently, but is a class act and after losing players in the close season, this is a brilliant statement from the club.

• Like 1

I like Buckley who I think is a really talented player. Hopefully his horror show last Saturday and subsequent dropping for Blackpool on Wednesday will act as a kick up the backside. Tomasson and Broughton clearly rate him highly to give him such a lengthy deal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Buckley signs new long-term deal! | rovers.co.uk

Great news. Shows how much he's rated at the club. Broughton's wise words about Buckley' potential to become a Premier League footballer are spot on.  Buckley has certainly got the ability. Obviously no everyone agrees, but there are none so blind as those who will not see. 😉

image.png.7e504ac79561e28cab6828225a82c98f.png

There are none so blind as them that what won't listen

• 1 month later...

Since breaking into the team with Mowbray, this is, I believe, the first time that Buckley has fallen out of the first team squad, albeit, it's only been a couple of games and he will likely be back sooner rather than later. At the moment, it would seem that Tomasson favours Adam Wharton, Morton and Travis ahead of him - and, perhaps, Garrett too - and he's no longer in contention for the No.10 role he took up for a while under Mowbray.

It's something of a worry to hear reports that in the last game for the recent U21 league game, he didn't impress greatly, and, in fact, Jake Garrett got the nod after the U21 Wolfsburg clash. Whilst players like Garrett and Wharton deserve chances given their talents and form, I would hope that the management are doing everything possible to try and get Buckley back in form and confidence, for he is, arguably, the most naturally gifted player in the squad, though Adam Wharton is showing signs too.

I do believe that CM is Buckley's position and we've seen some majestic performances from him there, albeit, he has been very inconsistent and since Tomasson took charge, he's hardly performed. My suspicion is that as an instinctive and, perhaps, 'confidence-player', the pressure of playing one or two touch and not holding the ball, which he likes to do, may be contributing to his loss in form and confidence. Not to mention the fact that Travis, alongside him, has struggled with form too. He is something of a maverick player but if he can re-find his form, he'll be a huge asset for us. At the back end of last season he scored a couple of brilliant long range goals, which raised the hope that he was going to kick on and become both a creator and scorer but, so far, that hasn't materialised.

Edited by riverholmes

13 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Since breaking into the team with Mowbray, this is, I believe, the first time that Buckley has fallen out of the first team squad, albeit, it's only been a couple of games and he will likely be back sooner rather than later. At the moment, it would seem that Tomasson favours Adam Wharton, Morton and Travis ahead of him - and, perhaps, Garrett too - and he's no longer in contention for the No.10 role he took up for a while under Mowbray.

It's something of a worry to hear reports that in the last game for the recent U21 league game, he didn't impress greatly, and, in fact, Jake Garrett got the nod after the U21 Wolfsburg clash. Whilst players like Garrett and Wharton deserve chances given their talents and form, I would hope that the management are doing everything possible to try and get Buckley back in form and confidence, for he is, arguably, the most naturally gifted player in the squad, though Adam Wharton is showing signs too.

I do believe that CM is Buckley's position and we've seen some majestic performances from him there, albeit, he has been very inconsistent and since Tomasson took charge, he's hardly performed. My suspicion is that as an instinctive and, perhaps, 'confidence-player', the pressure of playing one or two touch and not holding the ball, which he likes to do, may be contributing to his loss in form and confidence. Not to mention the fact that Travis, alongside him, has struggled with form too. He is something of a maverick player but if he can re-find his form, he'll be a huge asset for us. At the back end of last season he scored a couple of brilliant long range goals, which raised the hope that he was going to kick on and become both a creator and scorer but, so far, that hasn't materialised.

I think we cash in now, £10m would be handy for JDT...

No one will convince me otherwise that Buckley isnt one of our most naturally gifted players . I really thought he would be one of the players to thrive under JDT but it simply hasn’t worked and he has underwhelmed when he has played.  I’d rather he played than Morton and continue to develop but we all know these loan agreements mean game time for other teams players. 

I really hope that JDT finds a way to play to John’s strengths and doesn’t isolate him and equally hope John kicks on and improves from last year . Maybe I’m biased as I’ve been saying he should play first team for years and saying he will improve when he struggled for a long time in the first team but in my eyes he has everything but body size, strength and consistency. 
I hope Morton doesn’t develop for Liverpool at the expense of John for us . He’s in bad form but I truly believe he will come good. 
I know he’s been poor this season for many reasons but anyone who can’t spot or denies his talent makes me wonder what they are watching 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In the summer, there seemed to be a decision made to convert Buckley to a deeper midfield role, signing another attacking midfielder and because the assumption that he would effrctively move back hasnt materialised, we do look very short in that position.

I know you don’t but I still believe with the right coaching that would be his best position 

edit. And I agree up to now you seem to be right and I can’t back anything up other than I believe he can and will come good there

Edited by Oldgregg86

31 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I know you don’t but I still believe with the right coaching that would be his best position 

edit. And I agree up to now you seem to be right and I can’t back anything up other than I believe he can and will come good there

I wouldnt rule it out and some of his attributes in theory suit playing deeper but thus far its been a failed move.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt rule it out and some of his attributes in theory suit playing deeper but thus far its been a failed move.

Sadly your right. I’m just hoping with his skill set and the right coaching he will become the player we need to take the ball on the pivot , create chances as well as do the defensive side, sadly something Travis hasn’t got the ability to do.

Strangley when I was advocating for Travis to step up for the first team he could put a tackle in, but he could also run at defenders and seemed more diverse than his first team appearances seem. He’s decent at what hw does but I’m slightly disappointed with the way he hasn’t kicked on to be a more rounded midfielder 

Edited by Oldgregg86