BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I think Bucko came in for some criticism last year because he was quite light weight and got brushed off the ball too easily. That criticism was absolutely fair IMO, but this season it was noticeable that he had bulked up quite a bit and the biggest improvement in his game has been the crunching tackles he's been putting in. His bravery, strength and defensive play has all improved substantially this season and that is allowing his talent to flourish.

I don't think there was any doubt of his technical ability and creativity, but you can't create much if the opposition is shoving you to the ground as soon as you get the ball. So he deserves massive credit for addressing those weak points to become a key player for us now. Hopefully he keeps going from strength to strength!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Miker said:

I think Bucko came in for some criticism last year because he was quite light weight and got brushed off the ball too easily. That criticism was absolutely fair IMO, but this season it was noticeable that he had bulked up quite a bit and the biggest improvement in his game has been the crunching tackles he's been putting in. His bravery, strength and defensive play has all improved substantially this season and that is allowing his talent to flourish.

I don't think there was any doubt of his technical ability and creativity, but you can't create much if the opposition is shoving you to the ground as soon as you get the ball. So he deserves massive credit for addressing those weak points to become a key player for us now. Hopefully he keeps going from strength to strength!

I don’t think he’s bulked up. What happened is he’s more confident after a long run of games. Goals will make him the complete midfield player.

John hasn't bulked up at all, he's still very slight. He's just showing everyone why the other elements to his game make his lack of 6ft 2"ness un-noteworthy.

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

I don’t think he’s bulked up. What happened is he’s more confident after a long run of games. Goals will make him the complete midfield player.

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

John hasn't bulked up at all, he's still very slight. He's just showing everyone why the other elements to his game make his lack of 6ft 2"ness un-noteworthy.

Disagree. It was apparent early doors this season to me, and others commented I think as early as pre season.

He hasn't become bulky, and is still slight, but he is clearly visibly less scrawny than he was before, and more importantly, stronger. He isn't getting brushed off the ball with anything like the regularity he was last season as a result. I'm sure I read recently that this was worked on intentionally by the club too.

It's not the only area of his game that has stepped up, but it has helped.

Edited by bluebruce

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How often are you weighing Rovers players?

Buckleys terrific balance makes up for any perceived lack of strength when he is riding challenges. I don't know the stats but he is probably the 'cleanest' tackler we have at the club. The number of times he gets a foot in to nick the ball without fouling is a real asset, particularly in the final third.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

How often are you weighing Rovers players? He’s not bulked up, he looks the same stature as last season. He gained more experience.

I’m not, so I won’t comment with certainty about whether or not he’s any bigger. I think his upper body looks wider, although I’d speculate he’s just becoming a man rather than actively working on his upper body. 

2 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Whatever Buckley is doing, it's an absolute joy to see a Rovers academy graduate doing what he's doing at a good level and knocking on the door of being a Premier League player. He's either going to give us a healthy sale, or he'll propel us to the next level. Brilliant stuff in either case (hopefully the latter)!

I don't want healthy sales, I want success for the Rovers. This season that means promotion.

• Like 2

TM suggested today that Buckley may have to compete with Dack when fit for a spot. 

Who would you drop for Dack , if at all ? 

TM still regards Dack as the best player.

Could Buckley replace Travis due to his tackling/ interception ability? 

A middle three of Dack,  Rothwell and Buckley may be cavalier but I personally would enjoy seeing it .

Such a tough one. When fully fit, Dack is a class above, and would suit being behind the front 2 in the way that we currently play, giving us a goal threat we lack from that position. Travis has to play for balance, ideally Dack could replace Khadra but he wouldnt suit that position as much so would have to probably be Buckley.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Such a tough one. When fully fit, Dack is a class above, and would suit being behind the front 2 in the way that we currently play, giving us a goal threat we lack from that position. Travis has to play for balance, ideally Dack could replace Khadra but he wouldnt suit that position as much so would have to probably be Buckley.

It is tough, Khadra is there for speed which isn't Dack's strength.  I wonder if BBD did leave and SG got a run, if Dack would play off him as an option, similar to Graham and Dack previously. 

1 minute ago, slowmo said:

It is tough, Khadra is there for speed which isn't Dack's strength.  I wonder if BBD did leave and SG got a run, if Dack would play off him as an option, similar to Graham and Dack previously. 

Gallagher cant play with his back to goal, therefore he is incomparable to Graham and that wouldnt work. Sell Brereton and weve thrown in the towel for promotion anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see Dack doing the pressing that Buckley does when he’s just coming back from a serious injury.  If Ayala can’t walk back into the team I don’t see why Dack should.

Let's hope players are picked on merit, not reputation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

We have to hope that Dack returns good enough to vie for a first team place. Only then would I worry about who to drop to let him in. 

True,  TM was quoted today saying Dack in training is the best player at the club , but at  1 /10 of the fitness required for 1st team . Fingers crossed for the last bit of rehab 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher cant play with his back to goal, therefore he is incomparable to Graham and that wouldnt work. Sell Brereton and weve thrown in the towel for promotion anyway.

I think our league position is as much down to the defence as the attack

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 31/12/2021 at 17:28, Rochdale_rover said:

Was there a new song for bucko when he was subbed on weds.

Usually hear the 1 of our own . But sure something different was being sang.

I saw my mate the other day, he said he saw the white Pele

So I asked, who is he?

He said his name was John Buckley.

John Buckley, John Buckley, he goes by the name of John Buckley

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slowmo said:

TM suggested today that Buckley may have to compete with Dack when fit for a spot. 

Who would you drop for Dack , if at all ? 

TM still regards Dack as the best player.

Could Buckley replace Travis due to his tackling/ interception ability? 

A middle three of Dack,  Rothwell and Buckley may be cavalier but I personally would enjoy seeing it .

I’d enjoy the luxury of bringing Dack back slowly. Come in as a second half sub as Bucko works so hard he gets gassed by the end of each half. Dack hasn’t been fully fit in years and we’re not sure his form or ability will be what it was. His role should be a super sub this year and a full return to playing fitness. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I’d enjoy the luxury of bringing Dack back slowly. Come in as a second half sub as Bucko works so hard he gets gassed by the end of each half. Dack hasn’t been fully fit in years and we’re not sure his form or ability will be what it was. His role should be a super sub this year and a full return to playing fitness. 

Initially of course it makes sense for Dack to build his way up as he wont be able to play 90 minutes initially but id like to think that we dont have to merely assign him a cameo role for the entire season. Easy to forget how good he is.