BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve been thinking about that ever since that game. I think the conditions didn’t help us but having said that we may get similar conditions again before the end of the season. We need a plan B for games like that. When we’ve played our football for 60-70 minutes and it’s not working. We need a game changer. I’d have been tempted to bring Ayala on and stick Van Hecke up front and see how they dealt with a bit of ale house style football.

Failing that we need a Berkovic/Bohinen type of player who can open doors. A more experienced/crafty version of Buckley that can come on a give us a good 30 minutes of subtlety in the last third.

something like a Bradley Dack at full fitness

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What do people think of Buckley.. like objectively?

He had a couple of good games in December/January when we were winning and I thought there might be a player in there but if I have to be objective he is slow, weak, cant press or close down the opposition and can’t shoot. His control and passing are okay I guess, but he might be one of the most ineffective fake 9s Ive ever seen. Perhaps just as ineffective as playing 6ft8 striker on the wing.

Is there any stats that show what he is best at? Creating chances or opening spaces for our amazing wingers or something?

Edited by skous18

25 minutes ago, skous18 said:

What do people think of Buckley.. like objectively?

He had a couple of good games in December/January when we were winning and I thought there might be a player in there but if I have to be objective he is slow, weak, cant press or close down the opposition and can’t shoot. His control and passing are okay I guess, but he might be one of the most ineffective fake 9s Ive ever seen. Perhaps just as ineffective as playing 6ft8 striker on the wing.

Is there any stats that show what he is best at? Creating chances or opening spaces for our amazing wingers or something?

Most chances created for us this season.

Won the ball back most times in the final 3rd this season.

2nd in assists.

Those stats were on sky last night.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 5

he was doing ok in the 3/5/2 set up,mainly because it`s his natural position he`s  a good passer of the  ball and quick to see an opening,him being in the midfield as well allowed rothwell to get forward while he sat in and vice versa,one thing he`s terrible at is shooting and finishing,so why he`s playing so far advanced is a mystery only mowbray can figure,he can`t hold the ball up either,shooting,finishing,holding the ball up and fending defenders off is a prerequisite of being a centre forward,he can`t do any of them,feel sorry for the lad,mowbray is hanging him out to dry,as he`s doing with gallagher as well

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

1. OK understand

2. At Rovers?

3. He's 2nd in assists at Rovers with 6, Rothwell has 8

And? The original post asked for stats and I gave them.

Yes at Rovers and his pressing and winning the ball back was instrumental in the run that got us to third place in the first place.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And? The original post asked for stats and I gave them.

Yes at Rovers and his pressing and winning the ball back was instrumental in the run that got us to third place in the first place.

What? Calm down pet.

I simply asked a question and was not being critical of you or Buckley.

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What? Calm down pet.

I simply asked a question and was not being critical of you or Buckley.

Apologies.Last night hurt.Bigger things to worry about than trying to justify Buckleys place in the team on here.Fingers crossed we can get a win on Saturday whoever plays

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Apologies.Last night hurt.Bigger things to worry about than trying to justify Buckleys place in the team on here.Fingers crossed we can get a win on Saturday whoever plays

No worries. It was painful here too and at a 5am finish! Hard to take.

I'm not anti JB btw, just think his shooting has been awful but that can be worked on. 

COYB

• Like 1

I do think that people are underplaying or forgetting his high standard to which he played whilst as a false 9 throughout our winning run. He started the season well as the most advanced of a midfield 3 but his performances improved when he went as a false 9 and our form skyrocketed us up the table.

His main 2 strengths are his ability to win possession back and his ability to play a through ball in behind a defence, both of which do suit that false 9 role, or at least a role as an attacking midfielder. Im not convinced how he would adapt to play deeper, he played there away at Hull (granted next to Rothwell which isnt the most balanced duo) and was totally ineffective. The problem is that his main weakness is his inability to score goals or strike a ball and it really must improve for him to be properly effective.

If everyone was fit, for me he would probably be a sub in the main simply because Dack is in a different league to him.

• Like 2

Form is temporary, hard to know which side is Buckley's normal form though.

Regardless of what he's done in previous weeks, he's not performing now and for that reason should have been dropped after the Forest game.

57 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Form is temporary, hard to know which side is Buckley's normal form though.

Regardless of what he's done in previous weeks, he's not performing now and for that reason should have been dropped after the Forest game.

Who is performing?

I'm not saying he definitely shouldn't be left out but you could make a case for any of 3 up top and Rothwell to be left out.

Buckley has missed a few very easy chances and would have said pre Forest he should drop out for a game but imo he played well v Forest and West Brom and wasn't poor the other night.

He is capable of playing the killer pass that most in the squad wouldn't even attempt.The goal was ruled out but who else in our squad is playing the ball that led to Breretons goal v West Brom?

Stats wise he has created the most chances in the squad, his ability to win the ball back in the final third was instrumental to getting us 3rd place in the first place.

• 5 months later...

Found this Buckley thread. 

On 24/02/2022 at 22:05, islander200 said:

Most chances created for us this season.

Won the ball back most times in the final 3rd this season.

2nd in assists.

Those stats were on sky last night.

On the Buckley discussion, found these stats interesting. Not bad for someone being played out of position as an AMC. He's best where he's being played this season. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 21:41, skous18 said:

cant press or close down the opposition

I know I'm late to this post, but this is the strangest criticism of Buckley I've seen in a while. Pressing and closing down the opposition is one of his greatest strengths! He's excellent at it. That was clear in February too.

I think people are getting carried away calling him the "special one" or suggesting Premier League football within a year.

The first thing he needs to do is prove that he is a capable central midfielder at senior level, in theory I can see that happening as he has skills but there is a bit of give and take considering his strengths and weaknesses.

He clearly technically is gifted and he can pick out passes but I have found that he is a very penetrative passer who likes and successfully plays passes in the final third to create key chances, even off the top of my head, I can think of a great one to Gallagher I think v Cardiff who scored, one on the opening day which Brereton should have scored but missed and Gallagher scored the rebound, and one for Khadra (maybe v Huddersfield?) in which he should have scored but hit the bar. Moving him further back will make that more difficult and less likely with more onus on using his passing ability to control games which is quite a bit different and I don't think we controlled the game v QPR for example. He can play on the half turn so hopefully one thing he would be able to do is not give it away very often in dangerous areas. He can also press really well so pushing him back puts less onus on him to do that.

One thing he is really poor at is his shooting (bar that one at Birmingham) so moving him back puts less onus on that which is good. He is also a petulant player who gives away silly yellows and doesn't adapt well afterwards, Saturday wasn't the first time when he perhaps ought to have been sent off. He needs to mature and become cleverer in avoiding cards especially when on a yellow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The first thing he needs to do is prove that he is a capable central midfielder at senior level, in theory I can see that happening as he has skills but there is a bit of give and take considering his strengths and weaknesses.

Nah sorry he's already done that. I know you don't agree, but he has. He hasn't proven he's a perfect one, but he has absolutely proven he is capable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Already done that. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He clearly technically is gifted and he can pick out passes but I have found that he is a very penetrative passer who likes and successfully plays passes in the final third to create key chances, even off the top of my head, I can think of a great one to Gallagher I think v Cardiff who scored, one on the opening day which Brereton should have scored but missed and Gallagher scored the rebound, and one for Khadra (maybe v Huddersfield?) in which he should have scored but hit the bar. Moving him further back will make that more difficult and less likely with more onus on using his passing ability to control games which is quite a bit different

He's a lot more suited to playing deeper as he sees everything in front of him can play 'penetrative' passes from 40 yards. See his pass in the last game that landed on the boot of Brittain, who played it back  1st time to BBD who nearly score from 20 yards. Great move that, and all started because of Buckley's passing range. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Nah sorry he's already done that. I know you don't agree, but he has. He hasn't proven he's a perfect one, but he has absolutely proven he is capable.

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Already done that. 

He's a lot more suited to playing deeper as he sees everything in front of him can play 'penetrative' passes from 40 yards. See his pass in the last game that landed on the boot of Brittain, who played it back  1st time to BBD who nearly score from 20 yards. Great move that, and all started because of Buckley's passing range. 

I don't mean that as an insult to him or a criticism regarding his general ability/performances, I just mean that he hasn't played in a midfield 2 deeper so until he does, I am wary of making statements about him doing x y and z without seeing him play and hopefully thrive for a bit in central midfield first, rather than further forward.

I would also agree that many aspects of his game do suit a potential change, he can pass a ball (the switch mentioned above to Brittain was excellent) and take it on the half turn so in theory giving him more of the ball is of benefit. But he is good at being in the opposition half and slipping people in so I do wonder if playing deeper will limit that ability. I also wonder if he is able to adapt in terms of reigning in his petulance and needless fouls which should really have seen him off half an hour into his first game there.

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Typical after all this he had one of his quietest games in a while 🤣

It’s a took one for the team type of game in my opinion. He won’t shine in every game, but his presence on the pitch will worry the opposition and allow others to do the damage. He was very quiet today and ha can be quiet in every game for me, if the end result is the same. 

• Like 2