BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bucko had a couple of rusty games, that's all. A young player who's perfectly entitled to not be the finished article. We've got an abundance of young hungry midfielders and he's bound to face periods out of the team. No need for panic, but I would like to see a reaction when he does get thrown back in.

Less bookings, simple things right. He'll be fine, has the technical quality and handles himself just fine physically despite the rumblings of some on here over the years.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is more than a couple of rusty games, he has struggled a few times playing in a new position and has never impressed there.

You are right but all I can say is I believe if you keep the faith he will be a top player for us

• Like 1

Buckley has been getting pelters lately, and he has been poor. But he hasn't been helped by playing in a midfield 2. Every pass into the midfield was easily telegraphed as we only ever had 2 options, and the system meant there were a lack of decent options if the CM's managed to beat their press to pick a pass. That midfield 2 (with our 4 strikers feeling miles away) just hung them out to dry and left them overrun. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It is more than a couple of rusty games, he has struggled a few times playing in a new position and has never impressed there.

Disagree. I don't think he has actually been poor for more than 2 or 3 games. Just not had a look in since, so it's lingered.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Disagree. I don't think he has actually been poor for more than 2 or 3 games. Just not had a look in since, so it's lingered.

Has been poor in every game he has played this season, and until he proves otherwise big question marks will remain about his suitability playing deep. 

• Like 1

I agree @JoeHthat I don't think Buckley has been that poor in some games. I thought he was decent enough in the first 3 games and his worst game for me was against Cardiff

I think his natural position is centre midfield and I don't see that changing. He needs to upper his performance and start playing like we know he can 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Buckley, Dack  and Markanday do not fit the requirements of the style Tomasson wants to play.

All three have qualities, but  generally  off the ball they are lacking in what is required.

A Tomasson comment a couple of weeks ,reiterated that some players have not grasped the requirements of his way of playing.

He was very good against QPR I thought on the opening day, then I think he had a couple of much quieter games but since then has been poor unfortunately.

The ability is definitely there, he just needs to grasp the next chance he's given - he can't be happy at being stuck with the under 21's, he needs to play like he's got a point to prove which he didn't at Cardiff.

• Like 1

Plenty of time for him to come back to form, and there will be plenty of opportunities too this season as the games come thick and fast; we may even see him replace Travis tomorrow or Saturday.

He definitely has ability & can see & play a pass. And I'm sure JDT & GB agree otherwise there's no way he would've got a 5 year extension. 

Like others have said above, he struggles in a 2-man midfield but in a 3, and given a licence to roam, he can be very dangerous when our forwards are making runs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, frosty said:

He was very good against QPR I thought on the opening day, then I think he had a couple of much quieter games but since then has been poor unfortunately.

The ability is definitely there, he just needs to grasp the next chance he's given - he can't be happy at being stuck with the under 21's, he needs to play like he's got a point to prove which he didn't at Cardiff.

Yeah I quite like what JDT is doing with the under 21s. Means everyone gets more game time and is quite chastening when you get instantly dropped down instead of sitting on the bench game after game.

I think if Buckley gets a shot playing in a three he will come back. I'd say our only mid who can really physically play in a two - ie. is able to cover a lot of ground game after game - is Travis but he has really lost form.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Absolutely and utterly untrue. Hyperbole.

Not untrue, just one opinion against another. I felt that he didn't particularly play well even in the first 3 games and didn't look particularly comfortable playing in a deeper position. I am yet to be convinced that such a transition is to his benefit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Buckley not involved again today. Unless he’s injured or it is part of some plan to revive his career, this strikes me as scapegoating of the player. He absolutely deserved to be considered for being dropped and by no means is entitled to games but he is one of our most naturally gifted players and by no means the only one who has been poor at times this season.

Moreover, he strikes me as a confidence player and, without knowing what is going on behind closed doors, I see this treatment as potentially blocking his return to form.

If he’s injured, then, fair enough. But I don’t think this club can afford to not support someone with the potential of Buckley. He needs minutes to re-find his form and grow as a player.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Buckley not involved again today. Unless he’s injured or it is part of some plan to revive his career, this strikes me as scapegoating of the player. He absolutely deserved to be considered for being dropped and by no means is entitled to games but he is one of our most naturally gifted players and by no means the only one who has been poor at times this season.

Moreover, he strikes me as a confidence player and, without knowing what is going on behind closed doors, I see this treatment as potentially blocking his return to form.

If he’s injured, then, fair enough. But I don’t think this club can afford to not support someone with the potential of Buckley. He needs minutes to re-find his form and grow as a player.

They've literally just given him a new 5 year contract - please stop with the conspiracy theories. 

JDT is firm, but fair - Buckley will get another chance when he's earned it. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Rovers think he is part of the plans hence the 5 years contract but at the minute, Travis, Morton and Adam Wharton are ahead of him. Does he deserved to be ahead of those 3 based on performances? no he doesn't!  plus, Garrett had a good debut and is on the bench at the minute 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Might seem like an odd thing to say, but I'm really pleased that he signed a new contract before being dropped.

I've got total confidence that - sooner or later - he'll get back to and surpass his good form from last year. The fact that his contract runs for as long as it does means that neither party should be tempted into hasty ideas of him moving on. 

• Like 5

• Backroom

Four wins on the bounce, second in the table, I'm not going to question JDT on Buckley's absence. The lad was clearly not at the level required previously - it might be something personal he needs to sort out. Who knows. Either way as has been noted he only got given a 5 year contract recently, so I'm sure he's still in our plans. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Four wins on the bounce, second in the table, I'm not going to question JDT on Buckley's absence. The lad was clearly not at the level required previously - it might be something personal he needs to sort out. Who knows. Either way as has been noted he only got given a 5 year contract recently, so I'm sure he's still in our plans. 

Good post. I'm one of Buckley's biggest fans, but calm over the situation. He had a dip in form, and is not getting a look in when  Wharton and Morton are on top form. Garrett and Smzodics is also doing well, so he just has to wait for his chance to come again, which he will. He was on the bench against Brum, this time Dack was preferred, so it's almost a luxury problem. Wouldn't be suprised to see him start against West Ham in the league cup.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, briansol said:

Good post. I'm one of Buckley's biggest fans, but calm over the situation. He had a dip in form, and is not getting a look in when  Wharton and Morton are on top form. Garrett and Smzodics is also doing well, so he just has to wait for his chance to come again, which he will. He was on the bench against Brum, this time Dack was preferred, so it's almost a luxury problem. Wouldn't be suprised to see him start against West Ham in the league cup.

The guys who are playing well get the shirts. That’s how it should be. Buckley will get his chance again. JDT is rotating the squad as best he can with mixed results regarding injury but given the way games are coming at us it’s all he can do. I’ve more faith in him already than ever I had in Mowbray.

• Like 3

Let's not forget that he was a mainstay in the team early in the season despite being average at best and was subsequently dropped when the results dipped. He was then brought back for the Cardiff game with something to prove, played abysmally and was rightfully hooked early in the game.

No player has a divine right to a starting place, especially one who still has a hell of a lot to prove that he belongs at this level, certainly mentally.