BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Saturday, Jan 30th- Luton at Ewood

1 minute ago, 47er said:

I'm not lecturing you on opinions just telling you not to call them "facts"!

You're perfectly entitled to believe Mowbray is a good manager, but "good' is a relative term.

If you mean "good relative to Coyle" then you are setting the bar too low---in my opinion

Yet you stated "too slow a pace" as if that is fact which it isn't. It's my view that the steady progress that has been made is acceptable. 

I didn't set the bar low either, that was forced on me/us by lunatic owners. But that was the reality of the situation. 

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

27 goals in 170 games would suggest not a very good one. His touch is woeful.  I can see he does a job of sorts but I wouldn't be getting too excited 

His stats as a central striker would be more representative. I think he's a good player and has been wasted out wide. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

His stats as a central striker would be more representative. I think he's a good players and has been wasted out wide. 

If he was any good as a striker mate, he would be playing there.  He isnt,I know a certain midfielder who has scored the same from central midfield in roughly the same number of games.  😄

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

27 goals in 170 games would suggest not a very good one. His touch is woeful.  I can see he does a job of sorts but I wouldn't be getting too excited 

He is an odd one alright. Sometimes, in fact a lot, he looks like a young colt who's still learning to walk. And, you're right, hie first touch is often woeful. But he does compete, nothing seems to get him down, not even being played out of position. Every game he does something that makes you think "there is a player in there".

But he was never worth £5M.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, when we dont score, we criticise the player who has 18 goals before the rest, none of whom have got past 4 goals. 

I agree with your post, but those players would probably have way more than 4 goals if Arma wasn't blasting 30 yard glory shots half a dozen times a match, when not only 1, but often 2 players are in way better positions waiting to be played in. 

Let's not get sidetracked by one good ball in today that no one had gambled on.

On AA in general, it's great he's in our team. Scores goals, gets players sent off, is fairly versatile, and very importantly for me, he stops teams pushing up too much as they're terrified of the pace on the break. Helps our tactics and gameplay. 

We now have 2 anchor points of great talent in the team, TK at the back, and AA up front. Not a bad framework to build around. Keep up these additions in defense, and I reckon we could go places.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

He is an odd one alright. Sometimes, in fact a lot, he looks like a young colt who's still learning to walk. And, you're right, hie first touch is often woeful. But he does compete, nothing seems to get him down, not even being played out of position. Every game he does something that makes you think "there is a player in there".

But he was never worth £5M.

Yes...he's a decent L1 L2 striker I suppose, a bit of a handful but never is he a upper championship/premier league player so I don't know why we bought him.

4 minutes ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Yet you stated "too slow a pace" as if that is fact which it isn't. It's my view that the steady progress that has been made is acceptable. 

For everyone else on the MB, I'm sure its clear that my comment on the rate of progress is my opinion and just that.

I didn't say so because its obvious!

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

If he was any good as a striker mate, he would be playing there.  He isnt,I know a certain midfielder who has scored the same from central midfield in roughly the same number of games.  😄

We play one up front and have a manager who thinks playing target men on the wing is normal and effective. So him not playing up front is not a reflection on his ability to play there successfully. I rate him, you won't convince me otherwise. 😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes...he's a decent L1 L2 striker I suppose, a bit of a handful but never is he a upper championship/premier league player so I don't know why we bought him.

Decent L2 striker FFS! He's a decent Championship striker as proved when he played as a striker in a relegated team and scored 12 goals and was one of the few highlights of the season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silas said:

I agree with your post, but those players would probably have way more than 4 goals if Arma wasn't blasting 30 yard glory shots half a dozen times a match, when not only 1, but often 2 players are in way better positions waiting to be played in. 

Let's not get sidetracked by one good ball in today that no one had gambled on.

On AA in general, it's great he's in our team. Scores goals, gets players sent off, is fairly versatile, and very importantly for me, he stops teams pushing up too much as they're terrified of the pace on the break. Helps our tactics and gameplay. 

We now have 2 anchor points of great talent in the team, TK at the back, and AA up front. Not a bad framework to build around. Keep up these additions in defense, and I reckon we could go places.

It is simply not true that Armstrong blasts half a dozen 30 yard glory shots over the bar a match.

He had that one game against Bristol City where he had too many stupid shots and it has left his reputation in the gutter. Today he had 2 other shots that I can remember, one was our only other one on target, and one was in the first half, poor execution of a player out of form but he was correct to shoot. I suspect his goal to shot ratio is better than most in the league simply due to his goal number.

18 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Decent L2 striker FFS! He's a decent Championship striker as proved when he played as a striker in a relegated team and scored 12 goals and was one of the few highlights of the season. 

Are you suggesting other championship clubs would want him if we were to sell?

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Still howling on viewing number 77!🤣

He is absolutely hated by Celtic fans, butt of jokes by rangers fans. Amazing how far his reputation has plummeted. For all his sad ending here, I always thought he was a decent defender but he is having an absolute mare in Glasgow 

• Like 2

• Backroom

By the way I was punishing myself and looking at some old threads recently, if you think being unsatisfied or spoilt with the position we are in is a new trend look at this great post from @Mattyblue 10 years ago 

This is on the back of us beating Wolves 3-0 at home, I remember it well, we were 3 up and attacking in numbers when Allardyce motioned to slow down and we passed it back and there were some boos from the Blackburn end.

We were top half of the premier league and still many wanted more, as Matty pointed out 8-10th in the top flight wasn’t seen by a lot as good enough!

Not being 100% satisfied with an unconvincing win isn’t a new thing there will always be divided opinions.

• Like 1

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is simply not true that Armstrong blasts half a dozen 30 yard glory shots over the bar a match.

You're dead right! A load of them go metres past the posts too. 😝

It's not just about the shots themselves though is it, it's about what's going on around him. If all that's on is a shot, fair dos, but if players have busted a gut to get free in the box, different matter.

People quote about good strikers being greedy, but if you take Harry Kane for instance, he's always aware of his teammates and gets lots of assists.

Just saying, if Arma wants to get to next level (with or without us), that's what he needs to work on. But I'm being hyper critical, it's what fans do surely. Because we know that's what will make the team better, and could be the difference between success and failure. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It really isn't! 

Yeah, I can see why you"d say that. I'm a bit ambivalent about it really. We won't see the best of him under Mowbray that's for sure. And it isn't fair to judge him on the basis of the position he's asked to play.

The thing is we have a double dose. Exactly the same things can be said about Brereton!

How anyone can say Mowbray's a good manager on this basis alone is beyond me.