BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An early Look into 21/22

With the transfer window shut again and a successful one at that I thought we could take a look into what we will have at our disposal for when pre season starts in late June, looking at what options miwbray will have and what sort of players could possibly be added and who could go out on loan 

Goalkeepers: kaminski, Pears, stergiakis, eastham 

Central defenders: lenihan, ayala, Wharton, Carter, magliore

Right back: nyambe, pike, JRC

Left back: pickering, Thompson

Central midfielders: travis, Johnson, Davenport, dack, rothwell, lyons, Buckley 

Wingers: dolan, brereton, rothwell, JRC, Vale, butterworth

Strikers: Armstrong, brereton, Gallagher, butterworth 

In the Goalkeeping department kaminski is the best since brad friedel nothing more has to be said, pears was pointless 300k for a keeper as bad as leuitweiler didn't cost much less than kaminski and happens to be mowbrays mates son from Middlesbrough I will never understand that signing but leaves us the ability to loan out the young keepers, eastham is the best young keeper I've seen for his age, I'm impressed with him everytine i watch him his distribution is what I expect from a brazillian or Spaniard, he's an asset and will be a long term replacement for kaminski, would like to see him loaned out along with the greek lad or Hilton again. The future looks bright for keepers 

What system mowbray plays between now and May could determine our recruitment in tbe summer, will he stick to the status quo ? Or change to a back 3 to accommodate our new defenders ? Half a season i doubt will be enough for city abd Everton to judge weather their lads are better than the championship should they perform just like it aint enough for us to judge if carter and magliore are ready for us so I would like to think we access them in pre season before loaning them out for a season cayse then should we still be playing championship football come summer 22 then I believe they will be ready to step up, took Wharton a few loans in L1 and 2 to be ready, should that happen then it would leave us with 3 defenders which isn't enough, should we continue with 4 at the back then we would need to add another defender again hopefully one of branthwaite or THB should their loan end a success but shoukd we adopt a 3 at the back system like we think then bring both back or maybe one and opt for an experienced defender on a permanent. 

In terms of midfield with travis, Johnson davenport it leaves us well equipped in the defensive side of it even lyons loves a tackle. with holtby out of contract and I have a feeling he won't sign and opt back to Germany for family reasons then it leaves us short in a creative role with only Buckley who arguably needs a loan out anyway able to play that role so thats where mowbray will likely look to recruit, should we stick to 433 dack will play in that free role, and wisely mowbrsy will judge weather to go with the travis/johnson/davenport combination in 2 holding mid roles and dack or rothwell in the free role or one of the 3 again with rothwell and dack on who we are playing. Either way I expect that we will recruit 1 or 2 midfielders again as I expect downing will retire and Evans, bennett, trybul leaving. 

On the wing or left abd right attack whichever way mowbray puts it when you look at the options we have and their actual positions we are lacking, of course this won't matter much if we do go with wing backs as the only genuine wingers we have are dolan, JRC,vale even butterworth and of course brereton has adapted and only JRC would fit in the wing back role on either side, but there is also the option of a 523 system which will be provide a good flexible option to change into during games like for example if mowbray decides to sacrifice a midfielder or striker to opt with wingers.

we are good for strikers, weather vale is ready depends on his Rochdale loan but again he's one that will need to be accessed in pre season before judgment takes place on weather he should go back out cause again I think he will be one solid season out on loan from being ready should we still be playing championship football in summer 2022, weather we need to recruit a proven goalscorer depends on Armstrong being here, brereton of course an option and like brereton I would like to see Gallagher played as a striker, like brereton again he's been harshly criticised when he's played out of position, but with gally he can't adapt to that role, he does not have the pace, technique nor ability to master a wing role but certainly has the effort and chips in with the odd goal but in reality he should be a plan B or impact sub like Danny Graham after all he was brought in as long term replacement for him, in my opinion we should adopt the 532 system big man little man combination upfront with arma and brereton or gally upfront with the ability and depth to switch to 523/353/5311 whenever necessary to use our wingers, but should we continue to use the current system/systems I expect us to bring in 1 or 2 wingers 

Ideal ins: douglas/left back CMx2, striker, winger or more depending on system

Ideal outs: carter (loan), magliore (loan) vale (loan) butterworth (loan) lyons (loan), Buckley (loan)

My ideal lineup 21/22 ? 

Kaminski 

RCB Lenihan 

CB New defender 

CB Wharton 

RWB Nyambe

LWB pickering

CM Travis

CM rothwell

CM Dack 

ST Armstrong 

ST Brereton 

Subs: pears, ayala, douglas/new leftback,JRC, davenport, Johnson, Dolan, Gallagher, new striker 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Suspect it will be a summer full of business required unless some contracts can get sorted. You look at Preston, they got into a right mess with key players all having a year left, and theyve had to sell Pearson, Davies and Fisher for probably half a million combined, having to patch up their team with loanees.

Unless we can get Armstrong, Lenihan and with their year extensions in our favour, Nyambe and maybe Rothwell signed up, we will need to try and get fees for them. The first 3 especially will take some replacing.

There is also Rankin Costello who it makes sense to sign up, and then there are players like Holtby and Johnson who the jury is out as to whether they will warrant another deal. Throw in 5 returning loanees and then Bell, Williams and Bennett who can be allowed to go, and Wharton who could be injured into next season, and plenty to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Suspect it will be a summer full of business required unless some contracts can get sorted. You look at Preston, they got into a right mess with key players all having a year left, and theyve had to sell Pearson, Davies and Fisher for probably half a million combined, having to patch up their team with loanees.

Unless we can get Armstrong, Lenihan and with their year extensions in our favour, Nyambe and maybe Rothwell signed up, we will need to try and get fees for them. The first 3 especially will take some replacing.

There is also Rankin Costello who it makes sense to sign up, and then there are players like Holtby and Johnson who the jury is out as to whether they will warrant another deal. Throw in 5 returning loanees and then Bell, Williams and Bennett who can be allowed to go, and Wharton who could be injured into next season, and plenty to do.

Armstrong is currently being negotiated, Johnson i wouldn't offer a new deal too cayse after next season I doubt he will be as useful, JRC will sign, if Wharton is still injured then maybe that will mean we may keep one of carter or magliore for cover 

Summer 2021 will mark nearly 4 and half years in charge for Mowbray, and look at the state of that centre half list.

Crazy that we'll be going into yet another summer with one half decent CH, one that will probably play one in six games, one that will be out until the new year, and two lads who have less than 5 starts between them.

So, as the previous 3 summers we will need two new centre halves, a left back and a central midfielder as a bare minimum. And that is depending on the players we want to sign new contracts signing, and not losing Armstrong.

No chance he suddenly starts playing 3 at the back either.

There's a lot to do in the summer (again).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

With the transfer window shut again and a successful one at that I thought we could take a look into what we will have at our disposal for when pre season starts in late June, looking at what options miwbray will have and what sort of players could possibly be added and who could go out on loan 

In the Goalkeeping department kaminski is the best since brad friedel nothing more has to be said, pears was pointless 300k for a keeper as bad as leuitweiler didn't cost much less than kaminski and happens to be mowbrays mates son from Middlesbrough I will never understand that signing but leaves us the ability to loan out the young keepers, eastham is the best young keeper I've seen for his age, I'm impressed with him everytine i watch him his distribution is what I expect from a brazillian or Spaniard, he's an asset and will be a long term replacement for kaminski, would like to see him loaned out along with the greek lad or Hilton again. The future looks bright for keepers 

What system mowbray plays between now and May could determine our recruitment in tbe summer, will he stick to the status quo ? Or change to a back 3 to accommodate our new defenders ? Half a season i doubt will be enough for city abd Everton to judge weather their lads are better than the championship should they perform just like it aint enough for us to judge if carter and magliore are ready for us so I would like to think we access them in pre season before loaning them out for a season cayse then should we still be playing championship football come summer 22 then I believe they will be ready to step up, took Wharton a few loans in L1 and 2 to be ready, should that happen then it would leave us with 3 defenders which isn't enough, should we continue with 4 at the back then we would need to add another defender again hopefully one of branthwaite or THB should their loan end a success but shoukd we adopt a 3 at the back system like we think then bring both back or maybe one and opt for an experienced defender on a permanent. 

In terms of midfield with travis, Johnson davenport it leaves us well equipped in the defensive side of it even lyons loves a tackle. with holtby out of contract and I have a feeling he won't sign and opt back to Germany for family reasons then it leaves us short in a creative role with only Buckley who arguably needs a loan out anyway able to play that role so thats where mowbray will likely look to recruit, should we stick to 433 dack will play in that free role, and wisely mowbrsy will judge weather to go with the travis/johnson/davenport combination in 2 holding mid roles and dack or rothwell in the free role or one of the 3 again with rothwell and dack on who we are playing. Either way I expect that we will recruit 1 or 2 midfielders again as I expect downing will retire and Evans, bennett, trybul leaving. 

On the wing or left abd right attack whichever way mowbray puts it when you look at the options we have and their actual positions we are lacking, of course this won't matter much if we do go with wing backs as the only genuine wingers we have are dolan, JRC,vale even butterworth and of course brereton has adapted and only JRC would fit in the wing back role on either side, but there is also the option of a 523 system which will be provide a good flexible option to change into during games like for example if mowbray decides to sacrifice a midfielder or striker to opt with wingers.

we are good for strikers, weather vale is ready depends on his Rochdale loan but again he's one that will need to be accessed in pre season before judgment takes place on weather he should go back out cause again I think he will be one solid season out on loan from being ready should we still be playing championship football in summer 2022, weather we need to recruit a proven goalscorer depends on Armstrong being here, brereton of course an option and like brereton I would like to see Gallagher played as a striker, like brereton again he's been harshly criticised when he's played out of position, but with gally he can't adapt to that role, he does not have the pace, technique nor ability to master a wing role but certainly has the effort and chips in with the odd goal but in reality he should be a plan B or impact sub like Danny Graham after all he was brought in as long term replacement for him, in my opinion we should adopt the 532 system big man little man combination upfront with arma and brereton or gally upfront with the ability and depth to switch to 523/353/5311 whenever necessary to use our wingers, but should we continue to use the current system/systems I expect us to bring in 1 or 2 wingers 

Ideal outs: carter (loan), magliore (loan) vale (loan) butterworth (loan) lyons (loan), Buckley (loan)

My ideal lineup 21/22 ? 

Kaminski 

RCB Lenihan 

CB New defender 

CB Wharton 

RWB Nyambe

LWB pickering

CM Travis

CM rothwell

CM Dack 

ST Armstrong 

ST Brereton 

Subs: pears, ayala, douglas/new leftback,JRC, davenport, Johnson, Dolan, Gallagher, new striker 

Thoughts?

You can have any odds you like but that won't be our starting line up next August.

9 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

My ideal lineup 21/22 ? 

Kaminski 

RCB Lenihan 

CB New defender 

CB Wharton 

RWB Nyambe

LWB pickering

CM Travis

CM rothwell

CM Dack 

ST Armstrong 

ST Brereton 

Thoughts?

League 1 defence right there...again.

🙄

• Like 1

It will be his 9th transfer window as manager of the club and we will have two established CBs under contract one of whom has spent most of the season injured, one LB who hasn't yet played at this level or for the club and no RB. 

Any suggestions of a long term slow build are demolished by the above.

As for contract extensions we've had a lot of talk about talking. It shouldn't take 6 months to sort Armstrong out just like it shouldn't have reached 18 months to go before we try to sort it out.

1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Armstrong is currently being negotiated, Johnson i wouldn't offer a new deal too cayse after next season I doubt he will be as useful, JRC will sign, if Wharton is still injured then maybe that will mean we may keep one of carter or magliore for cover 

Id be pleasantly surprised if Armstrong commits his long term future. In his position, you would think his best bet is to just hold off because he is in a position of strength.

Both Holtby and Johnson are playing for contracts, we might not be best served cutting away all of our experience.

11 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

My ideal lineup 21/22 ? 

Kaminski 

RCB Lenihan 

CB New defender 

CB Wharton 

RWB Nyambe

LWB pickering

CM Travis

CM rothwell

CM Dack 

ST Armstrong 

ST Brereton 

Thoughts?

Cracking post, thank you.

If we move to three at the back this season I’d play Nyambe or THB at RCB and JRC as RWB.

Nyambe Lenihan JB

JRC     Trav.        Davenport      Douglas

Dack           Rothwell

Arma 

Subs - Pears, THB, Bell, Johnson, Trybull, Holtby, BB, Dolan & Gally

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Paul Mani said:

If we move to three at the back this season I’d play Nyambe or THB at RCB and JRC as RWB.

Nyambe Lenihan JB

Dack           Rothwell

Arma 

I’m not usually for 3-5-2 tbh, but I can definitely see some mileage in that. 
Gets the better players on the pitch and can bring Dolan on against tired defenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

It will be his 9th transfer window as manager of the club and we will have two established CBs under contract one of whom has spent most of the season injured, one LB who hasn't yet played at this level or for the club and no RB. 

Any suggestions of a long term slow build are demolished by the above.

As for contract extensions we've had a lot of talk about talking. It shouldn't take 6 months to sort Armstrong out just like it shouldn't have reached 18 months to go before we try to sort it out.

Call it 9 windows, forgetting the two in league one and the two first season back.

Call it 4.5 years, forgetting trajectory of the club prior to the start of this phase.

Call it 50 odd months of no progress, forgetting the necessary overhaul of squad, backroom, development, scouting etc.

Call it same old same old, simply because 100% of decision making hasn’t been to your lofty expectations, simultaneously painting anyone who doesn’t agree as “accepting mediocracy”..

Call it BRFCurmudgeonS 😂 

• Like 2

End of the day this is the model the club chooses. There’s always a good few loans each season and a churn of players, and to be fair decent quality loans do seem to keep arriving.

Is it ideal? Probably not, especially in defence as we need to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat (though relationships do seem to have been built with the likes of Man City and Liverpool), but it is still preferable to the days of cheap dross (Greer et al) coming in on free transfers.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nyambe Lenihan JB

Dack           Rothwell

Arma 

Interesting I like it but can't see him dropping brereton 

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day this is the model the club chooses. There’s always a good few loans each season and a churn of players, and to be fair decent quality loans do seem to keep arriving.

Is it ideal? Probably not, especially in defence as we need to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat (though relationships do seem to have been built with the likes of Man City and Liverpool), but it is still preferable to the days of cheap dross (Greer et al) coming in on free transfers.

Absolutely well said! Loans these days are all useful or quality when not long ago it was feeney, Paul Taylor etc mowbray has done well with loans since his arrival the only bad ones you could say are harper and walton off the top of my head 

The loans arent the main issue, they should be used to sign players that increase our quality that we couldnt otherwise afford, or to plug gaps due to unavailability, and that is the case with 3 of them, whilst a 4th could be signed up when out of contract.

The contractual situation is the main issue, both in regards to immediate expiry and players with a year left.

You look in goal, we have Kaminski who has a year plus a second year extension, and who is very capable. Ideally we would get a senior back up and loan about Pears but its not the priority position.

In defence, will Pickering be able to come straight into the side? No one is sure but lets assume so, even then, he is the only one who provides any certainty. Douglas can play for a deal in the next few months, if he earns one, thats left back sorted. Assuming we activate Nyambe's extension, a player who is really important to us, its either sign him long term or we would have to sell. Rankin Costello, who is not a right back naturally anyway, also needs signing up. Bell and Bennett can be released.

Central defence looks concerning too. If Lenihan has a year left, he will need a new deal or will need selling. Ayala is grossly unreliable and Wharton likely to be injured into next season. Williams again is unreliable, let him go. Once the loanees go back, unless we can get one back for another year, we need plenty of work in this position again. Obviously Mulgrew can be released.

Midfield, we have loads but again plenty of question marks. Travis is here to stay, Davenport is still proving himself. Trybull will go back, and then we have Holtby, Johnson and Evans all out of contract. We cant cut all of that experience, but equally none of the three have put down an overwhelming case to stay, that will be down to the rest of the season although Evans has had plenty of chances. Buckley needs loaning out and Downing shouldnt be retained.

In more attacking positions, Dack is signed for a couple more years which is great news. Rothwell will have a year once his clause is activated, may be decision time on him, and Brereton only has a year too, as does Dolan. Elliott will take some replacing. Armstrong will need a new contract if possible or a sale is inevitable. 

• Like 2

We don't need any signings in the keeper department

We need a 3 defensive signings including a right back, centre back and left back. Plus Nyambe and Lenihan with new contracts aswell. Maybe Pike could be the back up right back 

in Midfield, We should release Downing, Johnson, Bennett and Evans. We will then have Rothwell, Buckley, Travis, Davenport. So we need 1 signings, Possibly renew Holtby contract

on wide players, we have Dolan, Brereton, JRC, Brennan, So need 1 wide player for me. 

Then striker/number 10 we have Armstrong, Dack, Gallagher and hopefully Vale, so possible need 1 striker in

So overall we need between 6 to 8 new signings plus a number of current players need new contracts like Armstrong, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't need any signings in the keeper department

We need a 3 defensive signings including a right back, centre back and left back. Plus Nyambe and Lenihan with new contracts aswell. Maybe Pike could be the back up right back 

in Midfield, We should release Downing, Johnson, Bennett and Evans. We will then have Rothwell, Buckley, Travis, Davenport. So we need 1 signings, Possibly renew Holtby contract

on wide players, we have Dolan, Brereton, JRC, Brennan, So need 1 wide player for me. 

Then striker/number 10 we have Armstrong, Dack, Gallagher and hopefully Vale, so possible need 1 striker in

So overall we need between 6 to 8 new signings plus a number of current players need new contracts like Armstrong, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe

Yes, I like all these, but Brennan suspect for me as well. I would also agree on the players you want to re-sign.

Let’s be realistic about this; I doubt the owners make more than 2-3 signings... mainly defenders; resign a couple of those midfielders, “long in the tooth”, & hope they pan out, with the addition of a couple more loaners. 

6-8 signings... hmmm. Doubtful, at best, we bring in that many, History is not on our side, but to do that, the owners will probably want Arma or someone worth £ to be sold. Maybe two somebody’s. I don’t want it, y’all don’t want it, nevertheless, It will have to happen, for us not to continue to rely on short-term loaners to fill out our roster. 

Edited by WacoRover

Assuming we are going to be in the Championship next season, then the first thing that has to be sorted is the out of contract players. Nyambe is the one that it is absolutely vital to keep. The only other 2 I would try to keep is Rothwell and JRC although I wouldn't be overpaying to desperately keep hold of either. The rest of the out of contract players I would let go. 

You'd think this summer that we are going to have to cash in on at least one high value asset. Armstrong would probably make the most sense as he will net the highest fee and he will only have 12 months left. You'd think the departure of Armstrong would also see a return to a 4-2-3-1 as Dack will be by far our most dangerous attacking option and that system gets the best out of him.

So at least one striker is going to be required probably 2 although should Vale score a hatful at Rochdale then being 3rd choice in the Championship would be the logical next step. The likes of Buckley, Magloire and Butterworth should go out on loan at decent levels where they are playing every week which will really be make or break for them in terms of whether they are to have a future at Rovers or not. Carter will obviously have to be evaluated after his current loan but a full season out loan playing first team football will probably be best for his development.

That would leave us going into next season with the following.

Goalkeeper: Kaminski, Pears + numerous others.

Right Back: Nyambe, Pike

Left Back: Pickering

Centre Back: Lenihan, Wharton, Ayala

Central Midfield: Travis, Davenport

Attackers: Dack, Rothwell, Dolan, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, 

Strikers: Gallagher, Vale

It was always going to be a summer of upheaval partly because of the number of players out of contract and partly because of the managers short term fixes in the transfer market this season. So come the summer we will definitely need a centre back, a left back, 2 central midfielders, a wide man and a striker. We may also need another centre back depending on Wharton's recovery, a right back depending on whether Pike is seen as an able deputy to Nyambe and possibly another striker as well if Vale's spell in League 1 is not very productive. 

On the other hand should we by some miracle be promoted and in the Premiership next season then we will need to spend around £150 Million just to have a chance of survive.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

When Watford went up with 15 loan players in their starting 11, I remember it being lauded on here as the modern, imaginative way to do things, leveraging the top 4s scooping up of young talent who will never get a game for them. Much better than having to take 3-4 year risky punts on other clubs’ cast-offs who will turn out to be either useless or get crocked.