BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

How can it be a "good deal" for a player who has a horrendous record with injuries, missing large parts of the past 2 seasons seasons then having surgery earlier this year for another injury?

We should not be paying any money for Obafemi. 

People are really being harsh on Obafemi. I have no doubt that he is a player who will succeed in the championship. He is young with a great physical attributes, and has had an impact on prem league games on the occasions he has come off bench. Furthermore we are not outright ‘paying’ for him as explained by above. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Rubbish.  Why not take the 21m and decide for ourselves who we sign.? This Irish lad is a crock with a bad attitude 

True, but you'll get jumped on for saying so

If we are signing him, we should be getting him on a free transfer

Paying any money for him is madness-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

40% of whatever we would get instead of Obafemi would go to Newcastle though.

I agree his wages could be a problem but we managed it with Gallagher.

We have a years option on Kaminski,we don't know what discussions have been had.

Yes but when we signed Gallagher we were spending money and weren't facing the crisis of losing most of our assets on free transfers. We are now supposed to believe that the club has been trying and failing to agree terms with important players like Nyambe yet are able to pay Obafemi. Seems strange.

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Well, actually it would only be £3.3m given the 45% clause to Newcastle 

If they club have managed to tie in Obafemi whilst keeping him out of the Armstrong transfer they have effectively saved paying Mike Ashley £2.7m which I think we can all agree is a fairly decent bit of business 

I'm not sure how avoiding paying Mike Ashley £2.7 million really changes anything. We still get the majority of profit on him so the more he goes for the more we get (and Newcastle). It is therefore in both our interests to get as much as possible.

The only real question here is whether this Obafemi is worth the  multi-millions we look like missing out on by accepting a lower fee and taking him on top of it. I'd say not given our current predicament and need for investment in multiple areas but I'd be happy to be proved wrong if it turns out to be a masterstroke.

Personally I think this is the only way Mowbray will be able to get a 'cash' signing - by knocking it off the Armstrong deal and arguing that it makes sense to do so to deprive Newcastle of more cash. I'm sure the Venkys would be well up for such a scheme.

On the flip side I suspect Mowbray knows full well that if Armstrong is purely cash then that money disappears and he's back to loans only from the owners.

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Rubbish.  Why not take the 21m and decide for ourselves who we sign.? This Irish lad is a crock with a bad attitude 

I’d rather us spend that 6 million on a centre half for when Ayala is inevitably crocked again. Give Diaz and Gally the chance to prove there worth this season and shore up the backline. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rigger said:

1) It would be nice to have another first team center-back. But we don't need one.

2) U23's are professionals, I believe.

3) That doesn't make them bad players for the here and now, just that the manager hasn't picked them in the past.

Agree with this really. I don't see the point in just bringing 'bodies' in. If the chance to loan a couple of special talents comes up, great.  If we can sign a couple of players permanently that are better than what we have, great.  If not, I'd be relying on the young lads to cover when needed.

Needs a policy of quality over quantity now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

At this point it's pure speculation as to what will happen .

We will find out in the coming days, best to save the praise or criticism until we find out what is happening

Don't get the feeling we will find out much here though. The whole point is that this a very big game of chess and keeping the public (Mike Ashley included) a little more in the dark about the details of the Obafemi situation is all a part of that.

I can't imagine they'll come out and tell us if Obafemi was £6m of the deal, came for basically free as part of the deal, cost £1m or whatever. We'll always be guessing on this front I think.

So then it comes down to the players ability, which he certainly has some of. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play here, if he comes, but I have big worries about bringing in another young forward with a lot of pressure on his back.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Because we wanted Obafemi? Nicko has said that if he doesnt come they pay us more cash making it up to the 20 million ( yes i know he talks shit but hes been bang on the money with Armstrong deal)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes but when we signed Gallagher we were spending money and weren't facing the crisis of losing most of our assets on free transfers. We are now supposed to believe that the club has been trying and failing to agree terms with important players like Nyambe yet are able to pay Obafemi. Seems strange.

I'm not sure how avoiding paying Mike Ashley £2.7 million really changes anything. We still get the majority of profit on him so the more he goes for the more we get (and Newcastle). It is therefore in both our interests to get as much as possible.

The only real question here is whether this Obafemi is worth the  multi-millions we look like missing out on by accepting a lower fee and taking him on top of it. I'd say not given our current predicament and need for investment in multiple areas but I'd be happy to be proved wrong if it turns out to be a masterstroke.

Personally I think this is the only way Mowbray will be able to get a 'cash' signing - by knocking it off the Armstrong deal and arguing that it makes sense to do so to deprive Newcastle of more cash. I'm sure the Venkys would be well up for such a scheme.

On the flip side I suspect Mowbray knows full well that if Armstrong is purely cash then that money disappears and he's back to loans only from the owners.

I agree it does seem strange but must be something in it as I'd be surprised if Mowbray was talking the way he was about Obafemi yesterday if something wasn't close.We will find out soon enough, Southampton will want Armstrong for the weekend

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Probably something in that.

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

True, but you'll get jumped on for saying so

If we are signing him, we should be getting him on a free transfer

Paying any money for him is madness-

There's no way you knew he had a bad attitude before you read it somewhere. 

Now you're acting like you've seen it first hand 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

In your dreams!

Anyhow, I wouldn't trust Waggott and co as far as I could spit.

If Rovers try to pull a fast one, Newcastle will be all over Rovers like a rash.  As a business man, Ashley is a b@stard and will have his pants taken down by no one.

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Because we wanted Obafemi? Nicko has said that if he doesnt come they pay us more cash making it up to the 20 million ( yes i know he talks shit but hes been bang on the money with Armstrong deal)

Seems odd to spend 6m on a player who hasn't played hardly any games at any level....

I'll take the 6m extra please

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Agree with this really. I don't see the point in just bringing 'bodies' in. If the chance to loan a couple of special talents comes up, great.  If we can sign a couple of players permanently that are better than what we have, great.  If not, I'd be relying on the young lads to cover when needed.

Needs a policy of quality over quantity now.

We lost 11 players though.12 if you include Armstrong.We have talent in the under 23s but it's being extremely optimistic to think that 7..8..10..11..12 of those are going to come in and be ready or capable of playing at this level.

Some of those would be better sent to league 1 or 2 to develop.

I agree we need quality but we need numbers in.Some of the younger players in the academy's from the premier league will be more ready than our own 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

My memory of Barton was that even when having a good game, he was always likely to make the most horrendous and costly error.  He went from an ever-present in 66-67, when we finished fourth and enjoyed a decent season, to becoming the regular back-up to Adam Blacklaw, the old Burnley favourite, the following season.

Not the tallest, to say the least, and somewhat portly in build he nonetheless carved out a career that lasted over a decade with Preston North End and ourselves but was mostly spent playing in the Central League.

Happy memories of a time when supporting Rovers seemed so much more enjoyable than today.

Yes, his handling was poor and made Walton look like Yashin by comparison. 

You have to question how players like him became pros, especially in he 1960s when street footballers were coming out of the towns and cities in their thousands

The fact he was something of a joke figure among Rovers fans shows how he was regarded

If it is £6m, it'll likely be very similar to the Brereton deal where its hugely caviated in respect of performance. Probably a really small fee upfront and bonuses related to us achieving a playoff berth and promotion etc.

1 minute ago, BigUts said:

If it is £6m, it'll likely be very similar to the Brereton deal where its hugely caviated in respect of performance. Probably a really small fee upfront and bonuses related to us achieving a playoff berth and promotion etc.

Would 6m not get a Hugill or a couple of really decent defenders....? This doesn't feel right to me. Suddenly we have 6m to spend and we are buying a nobody.???

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Would 6m not get a Hugill or a couple of really decent defenders....? This doesn't feel right to me. Suddenly we have 6m to spend and we are buying a nobody.???

Do we have 6 mil to spend though? More likely the money comes in and disappears. FFP and all that. Perhaps this is one way of at least bringing in a replacement that otherwise we would not be able to do. it wont be 6 million either, probably half that as part of the agreement for AA. 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

But we won't be spending £6m. And if it is £6m IF somehow he fires us to promotion then it'll be worth it, I'm sure you'll agree! 

2 minutes ago, AaronHolt01 said:

image.thumb.png.1e863f3b65339432346ad8fec7f18aeb.pngUpdate on Khadra... 

Another injured player..... welcome to the Ewood Park physiotherapy club

Do we really need 2 more forwards when there are still gaping deficiencies in midfield and defence? 

Edited by jim mk2

A lot on speculation of what the fee is, add ons, £6 million for an unproven etc etc and now the likelihood of AAs fee being undisclosed.

Let's be clear on one thing. Mike Ashley will know and get his full 40%.

In a contest of Swag v Ashley there can be only one ..... winner

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Seems odd to spend 6m on a player who hasn't played hardly any games at any level....

I'll take the 6m extra please.

Well it wouldnt be 6 as we would have to pay Newcastle 40% of it so they get 2.4 millon leaves us with an extra 3.6 million. Mowbray probably thinks he wont get to see the cash reinvested in cash buys, hence why he wants a player as part of the deal.

• Like 1