BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Is that right though? Surely the value of the player coming must be considered considered Newcastle compensated accordingly.   Otherwise clubs would just be doing player deals instead of cash ...

I may be wrong.

Perhaps it's just a case of us hoping Newcastle can't be bothered going to Court to contest it and will be happy with 40% of £15m? (Or 40% of 13.25m)

I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules regarding this, but for the sake of argument if Rovers and Southampton agree between themselves to place a nominal value on Obafemi's head, there's not a lot Newcastle can do about it in the first instance.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Hi All, 

Seeing a lot of reported posts and subsequently having to hide a few this evening. I think the bottom line having reviewed them, is that people need to simmer down a bit. So, can we aim to do that please?

Thanks.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Danny Ings just went for £25m. He's a significantly better player. 

But each to their own, Armstrong walks on water for some. 

Armstrong is also five years younger.

It’s a gamble for sure, but it could well pay dividends for Southampton….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Perhaps it's just a case of us hoping Newcastle can't be bothered going to Court to contest it and will be happy with 40% of £15m? (Or 40% of 13.25m)

I'm not aware of any hard and fast rules regarding this, but for the sake of argument if Rovers and Southampton agree between themselves to place a nominal value on Obafemi's head, there's not a lot Newcastle can do about it in the first instance.

I'm not sure Rev, this would be open to manipulation and I feel it may go to a tribunal to ascertain the value of the player....otherwise you could swap for 3 players at 5m value each and not pay Newcastle anything....

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Danny Ings just went for £25m. He's a significantly better player. 

But each to their own, Armstrong walks on water for some. 

Watkins went to Villa for £28m rising to £33m, Rhian Brewster to Sheffield United for £23.5m. West Ham flop Sebastien Haller to Ajax for £25m (West Ham bought him for £45m). Armstrong doesn't walk on water for me, but £15m isn't crazy money in the modern game.

• Like 2

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-striker-michael-obafemi-closes-in-on-6m-move-to-blackburn-rovers-40733853.html

Manager Ralf Hassenhuttl has expressed his admiration for the Dublin native as a player but he is also on record as being frustrated with Obafemi's attitude at times.”

Edited by BRFC_Polky

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You'd have to hope we wouldn't be paying any transfer fee at all. There's so many question marks over Obafemi and spending that sort of money would not make much sense and represents a serious financial risk. He's worth a gamble on a free, but that's all 

Maybe actually watching him play might help you find some answers? 

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ings had just signed for Liverpool 5 years ago.......

I agree that Ings is a much better player, but I don’t think it’s worth rubbishing Armstrong just yet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe actually watching him play might help you find some answers? 

How many times have you seen out of interest and were they for Southampton or the Ireland under ages groups?

I have seen him a couple of times for Southampton including v Norwich post lockdown and he looks bright and his assets are obvious. Do you think that he would be a good signing? The one aspect that would please me would be the long term nature of the deal.

Edited by roversfan99

4 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

I'm not sure if an update will be appreciated, as if I saw a Villa fan pop onto our forum to ask about Ings I wouldn't be too happy right now!

In terms of Obafemi, he has had a few fitness/injury problems which seem to be related to a lack of professionalism a while back. Our manager seems to believe that he's over these issues (https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19255734.hasenhuttl-happy-obafemi-back-fit---hints-spell-help-career/) and was apparently impressed with him coming into preseason this year. It looks like we're about to confirm Borja on loan from Chelsea who will be our new "third choice" striker option, behind Che and Armstrong. This is likely the role which Obafemi would have been aiming for, making it likely that we'd be happy to sell and he'd ultimately be happy to leave. I think we'd take anything upwards of £4m, similar to the Sam Gallagher deal.

He looked good in our preseason games against Championship opposition, and got an assist (https://youtu.be/2FhKbaB-uTY?t=57) against Cardiff from a high press which is a big part of his game. He also got an assist against Fulham I believe in our first preseason game. He's definitely a good player with bags of potential, and his attributes are similar to quite a few Championship forwards who've done well in recent years (Ayew, Gayle, Gray...).

I've read a few times that Armstrong is quite wasteful and takes 3/4 efforts to actually score a chance, would you say that's fair? Must have created an absolute shit tonne if he still managed to bag 28. I hope this has been somewhat helpful, and you've definitely got a good player if the deal does go through.

He's been quite good in this league at picking the ball up and smashing one in all by himself.

He's no great he's a workmanlike striker with pace but plenty room to improve. He's been playing here in a bang average mid table championship side under the most uninspiring manager in England.

He's done ok, there's a good base there to work with, Things get a bit harsh on here at times because Rovers fans have been in a permanent state of hair pulling head scratching frustration for a decade now.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I could put together a video of Armstrong goals that would make Saints fans feel they have got an absolute bargain 😁

Of course.But he is a player with a lot of potential.Scoring premier league goals v United and Chelsea.Iv seen a few times for both Ireland and Southampton and if we can get him in I feel he will be a good signing for the club . Wages could be an issue though

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How many times have you seen out of interest and were they for Southampton or the Ireland under ages groups?

I have seen him a couple of times for Southampton including v Norwich post lockdown and he looks bright and his assets are obvious. Do you think that he would be a good signing? The one aspect that would please me would be the long term nature of the deal.

I think he has a lot of potential and it could be a good move for him. Now is the time to knuckle down and focus on his career. I would say it's more of a gamble than Idah would have been,but then again he also could potentially be better. I think he ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to replacing Armstrong. I'm a bit surprised they are letting him go and also that he wants to move. 

I've read the majority of this thread and don't think I've ever seen his name pop up but would love to see us go in for Ali McCann at St Johnstone. I've seen him play a few times and he's always impressed. Lots of energy and still only 21. Plenty of interest from Old Firm. He's under contract so would cost 2-3m but wages shouldn't be an issue

Edited by Norn Iron Rover
Twitter link

15 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

I'm not sure if an update will be appreciated, as if I saw a Villa fan pop onto our forum to ask about Ings I wouldn't be too happy right now!

In terms of Obafemi, he has had a few fitness/injury problems which seem to be related to a lack of professionalism a while back. Our manager seems to believe that he's over these issues (https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19255734.hasenhuttl-happy-obafemi-back-fit---hints-spell-help-career/) and was apparently impressed with him coming into preseason this year. It looks like we're about to confirm Borja on loan from Chelsea who will be our new "third choice" striker option, behind Che and Armstrong. This is likely the role which Obafemi would have been aiming for, making it likely that we'd be happy to sell and he'd ultimately be happy to leave. I think we'd take anything upwards of £4m, similar to the Sam Gallagher deal.

He looked good in our preseason games against Championship opposition, and got an assist (https://youtu.be/2FhKbaB-uTY?t=57) against Cardiff from a high press which is a big part of his game. He also got an assist against Fulham I believe in our first preseason game. He's definitely a good player with bags of potential, and his attributes are similar to quite a few Championship forwards who've done well in recent years (Ayew, Gayle, Gray...).

I've read a few times that Armstrong is quite wasteful and takes 3/4 efforts to actually score a chance, would you say that's fair? Must have created an absolute shit tonne if he still managed to bag 28. I hope this has been somewhat helpful, and you've definitely got a good player if the deal does go through.

I think Arma will score in the region of 12-15 goals a season in the premier league. He is a greedy little so-and-so but most goalscoring strikers are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Of course.But he is a player with a lot of potential.Scoring premier league goals v United and Chelsea.Iv seen a few times for both Ireland and Southampton and if we can get him in I feel he will be a good signing for the club . Wages could be an issue though

This could be part of the Armstrong sweetener ie. Saints pay up his contract so he can accept lower salary at Rovers ?

• Like 1