BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Don’t know him. What year was he our keeper?

He signed at the start of the 1966-67 post relegation season from Preston replacing Fred Else. We spent the Mike England money on Barton, Barry Hole and Alan Gilliver. 

1966-67 season  he played in all 46 games league and cup.

1967-68 season he played 33 games sharing the job with Adam Blacklaw.

1968-69 season he played 3 games with Adam Blacklaw the No 1 keeper playing the rest.

1969-70 season he played he played 9 games with Adam Blacklaw playing 32. We’d signed Roger Jones later on in that season and Barton was released.

I didn’t realise he played so many games.

He was short and stocky, and I’m being kind when I say stocky. He looked like he was a test pilot for “ Holland’s “.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Ability: Southampton fans aren't that bothered he's going

Career: Stats speak for themselves

Fitness: His record isn't good

Instead of embarrassing yourself with ad hominem attacks perhaps you'd like to explain why (apart from the fact he's young and "might" improve) he would be a good signing and why we should pay good money for him?

Ability- A quick look on their forum shows their views are mixed. So you're incorrect to say they aren't bothered.

Career- he's 21 years old. Had scored in the premier league by the time he was 18. What's your own career stats? Lol

Fitness- Yes, he's had injuries. Still he's 21. 

Im guessing it makes you feel like a big man attacking a 21 year old. You have form, from behind your keyboard. 

I've already said why he would be good. As have others. People who have watched him play. You haven't. Your opinion is irrelevant and you're embarrassing by continuing to involve yourself in the discussion. Do some research and then come back. People will respect your view then. A bit more anyway. 

Who would your suggested signing be? This should be good....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

On BBC news about 45 mins ago it was saying that Southampton had had a bid accepted for Armstrong "thought to be over £20m".

Hopefully this means at least £15m cash and the player factored in with a notional value of about £6m.

If that's what it is, well done to the owners for holding out for a reasonable selling price and salvaging something despite Mowbray and Waggott's incompetence.

It's been reported over here that it's £15 million cash and Obafemi valued at £6 million. It's been done in a funny way though, so I don't think anyone fully knows 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh are there not? He's a proven Premier League player is he? Must have missed that season. 

Bit hard for him to play in the Premier League before his Club have even got there! 

Kaminsky hasn't played in the Premier League either. So are there "huge question marks" against him as well?

Ridiculous yardstick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit hard for him to play in the Premier League before his Club have even got there! 

Kaminsky hasn't played in the Premier League either. So are there "huge question marks" against him as well?

Ridiculous yardstick.

Raya has clangers in him ,he's small for a keeper. So ,ya question marks over him. 

He was shocking here at times. Absolute liability. Good shot stopper and looks to be improving. Not one that got away for me though. Very happy with Kaminski. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'll take the £21m thanks.

I would imagine Southampton and Rovers both want the player moving as it bumps up the fee for both sides. For us it's income (of a sort) that doesn't have a chunk go to Newcastle. For them if they don't really want the player it's increasing the value without them using more catch. In a straight cash deal I would imagine we would not break the £20 million mark. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ability- A quick look on their forum shows their views are mixed. So you're incorrect to say they aren't bothered.

Career- he's 21 years old. Had scored in the premier league by the time he was 18. What's your own career stats? Lol

Im guessing it makes you feel like a big man attacking a 21 year old. You have form, from behind your keyboard. 

I've already said why he would be good. As have others. People who have watched him play. You haven't. Your opinion is irrelevant and you're embarrassing by continuing to involve yourself in the discussion. Do some research and then come back. People will respect your view then. A bit more anyway. 

Who would your suggested signing be? This should be good....

My view would be that in isolation Obafemi would be a pretty massive gamble and not a risk I'd like to take at £5m or £6m at all.

However IF we're getting £15m cash plus the player then it becomes a slightly less risky proposition and one we could take a punt on.

He won't be on small wages though so it will still be a big commitment for us and he could end up being another Ayala on massive wages and barely playing.

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thanks for confirming why there should be serious doubts about signing this player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My view would be that in isolation Obafemi would be a pretty massive gamble and not a risk I'd like to take at £5m or £6m at all.

However IF we're getting £15m cash plus the player then it becomes a slightly less risky proposition and one we could take a punt on.

He won't be on small wages though so it will still be a big commitment for us and he could end up being another Ayala on massive wages and barely playing.

Ya, for £6 million alone, no ,it would be a gamble ,but I suppose we paid almost that on Gallagher and Obafemi was ahead of him at Southampton. The deal sweetens it with the 15 mil 

12 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Tbh Armstrong is already 'cheap' with 12 months left on his contract, and Mowbray's got a point; lower league clubs are struggling big time financially while PL clubs are haggling over what is 'a few quid here and there' for them. A few quid probably equals to a few mill.

It's obvious we need the money, I'll eat my hat if Armstrong isn't sold before the window shuts.

I agree we need the money, but if we sold for 15M and 5.3 of that went to Newcastle and then we put 6 into Obafemi, what did we net from the it all?  Less than 2 million and we lost our top scorer?  

12 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I agree we need the money, but if we sold for 15M and 5.3 of that went to Newcastle and then we put 6 into Obafemi, what did we net from the it all?  Less than 2 million and we lost our top scorer?  

We won't be buying Obafemi for 6M.  We will be getting a cut rate deal.  Here is how I see it breaking down:

Armstrong sold for 15M, bought originally for 1.75M, but raised to 3M based on incentives.  We owe Newcastle 40% of the profit on the deal.  (15-3)*.40 = 4.8M.  That leave Rovers with 10.2M.  We will buy Obafemi for around 3M in a separate deal to avoid paying Newcastle an additional 40% on the 6M (2.4M) valuation of Obafemi.  

Edited by USA Rover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yankfan said:

The deal is being reported as £15m cash plus Obafemi so IF that is the case then we would net about £9.8m.

Not absolutely ideal but the best out of a bad situation I'd say. Even better if Obafemi does well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, USA Rover said:

We won't be buying Obafemi for 6M.  

You'd have to hope we wouldn't be paying any transfer fee at all. There's so many question marks over Obafemi and spending that sort of money would not make much sense and represents a serious financial risk. He's worth a gamble on a free, but that's all 

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The deal is being reported as £15m cash plus Obafemi so IF that is the case then we would net about £9.8m.

Not absolutely ideal but the best out of a bad situation I'd say. Even better if Obafemi does well.

If that is the case, I'd say that is absoloutely as good as we could get.

best of luck to arma - i think and hope that he does well in the PL. He has all the attributes so i dont see why not. Really unlike TM to speak about another clubs player so openly so i feel that we must have some sorta side deal already done with the saints. I just hope that we dont regret under cutting mike ashley. the only thing with signing obefemi is i was hoping with armas inevitable departure it would see Gally getting more game time as a central forward, but now i fear he will be shunted out wide again to fit in another forward. 

39 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

£15m + Obafemi is an absolute steal. £15m for Armstrong is crazy money.

40 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I would imagine Southampton and Rovers both want the player moving as it bumps up the fee for both sides. For us it's income (of a sort) that doesn't have a chunk go to Newcastle. For them if they don't really want the player it's increasing the value without them using more catch. In a straight cash deal I would imagine we would not break the £20 million mark. 

Is that right though? Surely the value of the player coming must be considered considered Newcastle compensated accordingly.   Otherwise clubs would just be doing player deals instead of cash ...

I may be wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get how the price can be affected by a potential Obafemi deal as Mowbray isnt even sure if he is interested and whether a deal will be agreed with him. Plus if Armstrong is at a favourable rate, what stops Southampton cancelling the deal?

Mowbray can't admit that he knows the he is interested.  It could be used against us if Newcastle protest.  Legally nothing could stop Southampton from cancelling the deal.  It sounds like they want rid and they just brought in a new striker.  

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Is that right though? Surely the value of the player coming must be considered considered Newcastle compensated accordingly.   Otherwise clubs would just be doing player deals instead of cash ...

I may be wrong.

This is exactly why we did a separate deal.  If it were a cash/swap deal, Obafemi's value would have to be taken into consideration.  We would owe Newcastle another 2.4M (if Obafemi's valuation is 6M).