BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Around the same time as Fred Else and Adam Blacklaw in the 1960s. Sadly died in 2014

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11491190.tributes-former-blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-dies---aged-72/

Thanks. Just read about him. Looks like he played, just before my time. Roger Jones was first choice when a first started going. Looks like he was understudy to Jones at one point. 

19 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Definitely something in the Obafemi rumours. No way would Tony talk about a player at another club like that. Would be thrilled if we got him in on a permanent

Same here, he's an exciting player. As soon as I saw him play for Southampton I said "he'd be good for us" to my dad (I tend to say that a lot though, ha). Never did I think we would actually be in for him, or even be linked with him, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see we could be getting him on a permanent deal.

It's his pace and direct running that caught my eye. He's strong too. Yes, he only has four goals so far but I'm sure two of those came at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford. There's massive potential in this signing and for me, there's a bit of a Bellamy vibe about this kid. Those who haven't seen him play will be surprised by how dangerous he is.

Don't mess this up, Waggott.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes I forgot. Butcher. He was poor ....he dropped the ball more often than he caught it and it makes you wonder how some players actually became professionals. But in terms of sheer uselessness, Barton has to be the worst. Looked like a rugby league forward with about the same mobility. 

Barton wasn't top drawer but I'd put him ahead of the likes of Butcher, Dickins, Fettis, Steele, Walton etc.

If my memory serves me correctly, in his one full season as Rovers No 1, other than Jimmy Hill's Sky Blue Coventry, we conceded fewer goals than any other team in Division 2 (now Championship) - you don't do that with a poor goalie!  Think we finished top 6 but some distance away from Champions Coventry.

2 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Same here, he's an exciting player. As soon as I saw him play for Southampton I said "he'd be good for us" to my dad (I tend to say that a lot though, ha). Never did I think we would actually be in for him, or even be linked with him, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see we could be getting him on a permanent deal.

It's his pace and direct running that caught my eye. He's strong too. Yes, he only has four goals so far but I'm sure two of those came at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford. There's massive potential in this signing and for me, there's a bit of a Bellamy vibe about this kid. Those who haven't seen him play will be surprised by how dangerous he is.

Don't mess this up, Waggott.

I am looking forward to seing him play for the Rovers. I am not bothered how many goals he has scored or made in the past. It is what he does in the future that I want him to be succesful at

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
40 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The single biggest goal keeper mistake we made was letting Shay Given leave

To be fair, Tim Flowers was half decent at that time….

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Barton wasn't top drawer but I'd put him ahead of the likes of Butcher, Dickins, Fettis, Steele, Walton etc.

If my memory serves me correctly, in his one full season as Rovers No 1, other than Jimmy Hill's Sky Blue Coventry, we conceded fewer goals than any other team in Division 2 (now Championship) - you don't do that with a poor goalie!  Think we finished top 6 but some distance away from Champions Coventry.

We had a good defence that season! Barton just didn't look like a goalkeeper. He wouldn't be a pro these days I'm sure. Our list of poor goalkeepers is quite long....longer probably than the good ones we've had. 

4 hours ago, TruRover said:

With the Armstrong deal almost wrapped up we’re finally now able to focus on incomings. First and foremost contracts need to be extended, there is no doubt about that, though I do believe players such as Rothwell and Nyambe are unlikely to sign irrelevant of what we offer them.

We need a couple of loans, no doubt, though I completely dispute the idea that we should bring in 5. A back up left back (lad from leeds) a central midfielder (Doyle) and a winger (lad from Brighton) are essential to filling out the squad, improving competition and providing us with some cover. I know some people want a centre half, however I’d argue that Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Carter, Magloire provide us with the cover and quality needed. A young CB from a prem team isn’t going to improve that and will only block the pathway of our younger players.

In terms of permanent additions we obvs need a striker to replace Arma. For me there are 3 players currently available/realistic in the market that would really please me to see come in.

1. Obafemi - probably the most realistic due to our connections with Southampton, being into his final year of his deal and his potential role in the Armstrong negotiations. Quick, strong, young and has a decent record in the prem when you look at his actual minutes. Rumoured 5m fee although could work out cheaper if that fee has been reduced in Arma negotiations. For that reason could be the best value for money option. 

2. Idah - probably the most unlikely. Really highly thought of at Norwich with a rumoured value of 5m. Norwich fans believe he has a big future and want to keep him though there are doubts over how many minutes he would get with Pukki ahead of him. Could only seeing it being a loan which doesn’t suit us. 

3. Dike - Abit of a wildcard, but the one who would excite me the most out of the lot. Excellent on loan at Barnsley last season, scored goals but was also credited for his power and all round play. People say we look a better overall team without Arma leading the line, well this lad would give us a chance to really improve on that. I think it’s one of the few players who would actually make us a more overall competitive team. Barnsley rumoured to be priced out of a 5-6m move by Orlando. Not sure if we could pay that? Interestingly I did hear last weekend from a pal of mine who follows football in the US very closely that we had asked about him earlier in the window. Have no clue how reliable that is. With the Arma money now coming in that might be one to keep an eye on. 

Let’s see what happens in the next couple of weeks. What we need to avoid is making loans signings for the sake of filling up the squad. Let’s give our promising academy players a chance in a season where we are going to probably end up midtable whatever we end up doing. Contracts have to be priority either way. 

Nice summary, & I def agree with your points on loaners. 

Maybe someone who is better at math than I am can help me figure this out.  We reportedly have agreed to sell Armstrong from 15 million.  We had paid 1.75 for him.  That's a profit of 13,25, of which 40% is due to the Toons.  So we net 7.95 but are going to turn around an buy Obefemi for 6 million.  Does 1.75 million do anything to help our books?  I'm not sure the point of sell Armstrong if all we net is 1.75 million quid.  Surely that exchange doesn't help the books or make us a better side. 

It’s worth saying that I very much doubt Obafemi will be costing us 5m. This will be a deal which will have been massively discounted as part of the Arma negotiations, though officially it will be labelled as ‘completely separate’ to avoid issue with Newcastle’s sell on fee.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TruRover said:

It’s worth saying that I very much doubt Obafemi will be costing us 5m. This will be a deal which will have been massively discounted as part of the Arma negotiations, though officially it will be labelled as ‘completely separate’ to avoid issue with Newcastle’s sell on fee.

The caveat in all this is "if the player wants to come". Which is the bit that worries me. Southampton could have done us a proper fck over on this if they wanted. 

On BBC news about 45 mins ago it was saying that Southampton had had a bid accepted for Armstrong "thought to be over £20m".

Hopefully this means at least £15m cash and the player factored in with a notional value of about £6m.

If that's what it is, well done to the owners for holding out for a reasonable selling price and salvaging something despite Mowbray and Waggott's incompetence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

On BBC news about 45 mins ago it was saying that Southampton had had a bid accepted for Armstrong "thought to be over £20m".

Hopefully this means at least £15m cash and the player factored in with a notional value of about £6m.

If that's what it is, well done to the owners for holding out for a reasonable selling price and salvaging something despite Mowbray and Waggott's incompetence.

?

edit: ok, got ya

Edited by JacknOry