BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Steele is the weakest keeper iv'e seen at Rovers, Walton wasn't much better but at least he was short term.

Fettis was just way out of his depth in the Prem but Steele !  Rovers actually paid money for a keeper who couldn't get on the bench for midtable Boro.  ( remind us of anything...) Then installed him as number bloody 1 replacing a former England keeper !

You get what you pay for, the fact the very raw and error prone Raya looked so much better immediately says it all.

We've finally struck lucky with Kaminsky but we've been deprived of a good steady keeper for years.

• Like 2

In my time watching Rovers we haven’t had too many established goalkeepers. Mimms, Flowers, Friedel, Robinson, Steele, Raya are the only six who have managed more than one season as the undisputed first choice (Kaminski will obviously/hopefully qualify for this little club). Of that list, Steele is definitely the weakest. The back-ups down the years have been mixed…Filan (decent), Kelly (ok), Fettis (diabolical). Jason Brown never disgraced himself (unless it involved driving the team bus!!!). Maybe I need to do my research but only 6 established keepers in a near 30 year period doesn’t seem much? 

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We didn’t have a “ suitable replacement “ when we sold him. Walton was probably the worst keeper we’ve had in my lifetime.

We’ve always had good keepers at Rovers going back to Adam Blacklaw. John Butcher was the worst I ever saw. I remember being told that he was in the Cavendish bog and one of his team mates remarked that they hoped he could keep hold of his cock. Not even his team mates rated him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Link? 

Don't need a link ,he is a premier league goalkeeper and Arsenal had bids in for him in the last 12 months.

Go back on Wikipedia and tell us all Brighton don't spend money .And wouldn't spend big money on Championship players,until I gave you two examples of them paying 20 million for players who had never played in the premier League

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

In my time watching Rovers we haven’t had too many established goalkeepers. Mimms, Flowers, Friedel, Robinson, Steele, Raya are the only six who have managed more than one season as the undisputed first choice (Kaminski will obviously/hopefully qualify for this little club). Of that list, Steele is definitely the weakest. The back-ups down the years have been mixed…Filan (decent), Kelly (ok), Fettis (diabolical). Jason Brown never disgraced himself (unless it involved driving the team bus!!!). Maybe I need to do my research but only 6 established keepers in a near 30 year period doesn’t seem much? 

We had the dark years of the fight between jake kean or the other one I can’t even remember his name, ended up at Oxford or similar 

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We had the dark years of the fight between jake kean or the other one I can’t even remember his name, ended up at Oxford or similar 

According to Jake Kean himself we turned down a 3.5 million bid from Celtic for him.Absolutely crazy 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-jake-kean-interview-20711797

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

We’ve always had good keepers at Rovers going back to Adam Blacklaw. John Butcher was the worst I ever saw. I remember being told that he was in the Cavendish bog and one of his team mates remarked that they hoped he could keep hold of his cock. Not even his team mates rated him.

Yes I forgot. Butcher. He was poor ....he dropped the ball more often than he caught it and it makes you wonder how some players actually became professionals. But in terms of sheer uselessness, Barton has to be the worst. Looked like a rugby league forward with about the same mobility. 

23 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Loan with an agreement in place to sign next season - if he does ok-  would be the only sensible scenario.

Think there's a risk that we could get lumbered with a player who doesn't even want to be here in the first place on a long term deal, but on balance If we genuinely want him I'd still prefer a permanent deal now.

If he's just on loan there's a risk Armstrong will never be replaced properly or he'll do particularly well and any deal will somehow end up out of our reach.

7 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Simon Eastwood?

Nearly scored in the cup against Liverpool at Ewood. That was his one highlight though, apart from a good game up at Boro iirc.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think there's a risk that we could get lumbered with a player who doesn't even want to be here in the first place on a long term deal, but on balance If we genuinely want him I'd still prefer a permanent deal now.

If he's just on loan there's a risk Armstrong will never be replaced properly or he'll do particularly well and any deal will somehow end up out of our reach.

Be very stupid if it is a loan as his contract is up in a year 

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

Don’t know him. What year was he our keeper?

Around the same time as Fred Else and Adam Blacklaw in the 1960s. Sadly died in 2014

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11491190.tributes-former-blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-dies---aged-72/

Edited by jim mk2