BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ignoring fee for a second, does anyone actually think or what to state a case that Armstrong won't be a massive flop in the Premier League.

I genuinely think he'll be back in the championship in 18 months time, with or without Southampton. 

(Sorry lurking Saint's fans).

Personally, although I hope he does well, just cannot see it. He needs a lot of chances, he is not what you would call clinical. His pace wont be as big a weapon in the PL, and that is basically one of his best assets. 

Still, hope he does continue to develop, improve and become a good PL striker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They have no Academy. They're a leech of a club. 

We chose to send them our academy produced goalkeeper for a relatively small fee. Mowbray sanctioned that. Fast forward 2 years and they are in the PL, and Raya will be worth £10 million+. They also will ensure he is under contract.

So the mugs were Rovers. Putting in years of hard work and effort to develop Raya into a good goalkeeper, showing patience and faith and then deciding to offload him to a Championship rival at the first sign of interest, they pick up a young keeper that is on his way to big things but needs polishing up.

Brentford have reaped the rewards of our academy. Us? Well we got some money, which was promptly all spent on Sam Gallagher. We've ended up with a good goalkeeper but he's out of contract next year so we can predict which way that one is going.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ignoring fee for a second, does anyone actually think or what to state a case that Armstrong won't be a massive flop in the Premier League.

I genuinely think he'll be back in the championship in 18 months time, with or without Southampton. 

(Sorry lurking Saint's fans).

Moving up to PL is huge.

Doubt his pace will worry many.

Don't think he has a football brain, needs too many chances to score, poor touch and caught offside too many times.

Don't blame the lad as it will set him up for life whether he succeeds or not.

However, I wish him well - going to live and work in a lovely part of the country.

• Like 2

Nixon adamant that Obafemi is coming this way on a permanent as part of this deal. Who knows. It's not going to be a replacement that replaces his goals straight away, another one for the future. But Armstrong himself was a fixer upper and we managed that

15 hours ago, J*B said:

He’s due to start in the middle of a midfield three, taking over from Gini Wildjnaldum. Wasn’t good enough to start every week for Tony. 

No, he wasn't. He started most games and I'm sure he credits a lot of where he is now to Mowbray for giving him the opportunity last season. When he dropped him it was after he f**ked and cost us a goal. It was the right decision at the time. 

I will be surprised if he replaces Wijnaldum , but let's see 

14 minutes ago, oozy said:

The majority as a substitute. His minutes to goal involvement ratio is very good actually. Caveat though is the majority of his appearances were from 19/20, as he was injured for a lot of last season.

So a crock who scored a few goals years ago

Sounds perfect for us

And Southampton want money for him?

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't give a sh1t what you two lads think but at least give a balanced view and get your facts right

Clearly, you forget where I've been right on numerous occasions.

And for the record, Mullan did not break the news that Rovers had agreed a deal for Rhodes.  Check the postings if you've nothing better to do.  I posted that hours before anything in LT, on Radio Lancs or on here.  It came straight from the Huddersfield camp.

Who also posted about Seneca's attempt a few years ago to buy into Rovers some 24 / 48 hours before anything appeared anywhere!?

What pearls of wisdom have you two ever come up with?

Never said I have come up anything.

Mercer every summer we are on the brink of financial Armageddon In your opinion.

You sold Rhodes more times than Nixon.

Alex Neil the latest one you have got wrong..

IF it isn't your Bookie giving you the inside scoop it's one of your colleagues.Colleagues who seem to know the finer details of the Armstrong deal already.Its laughable 

Thought your contacts told you Obafemi was a loan deal????

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

I don't think Arma is suited to the PL, but I can't argue that he hasn't earned a right to have a go at it. He's never going to get a chance at it staying here with this clown car of a football club.

Obafemi coming in the opposite direction is an interesting one for me, mainly because I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth he's being valued at £5m considering his record so far into his career really doesn't inspire confidence.

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

What pearls of wisdom have you two ever come up with?

Be fair old chap, they never read newspapers so they are vastly more informed. 

Wish you'd stop predicting easy Rovers wins though. 

3 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

The Obafemi deal will be ‘separate’ to the Armstrong deal because of the 40% to Newcastle. We’ll get him on the cheap.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Edit: That's probably what you meant. Keep the Armstrong fee relatively low and Obafemis price high but in reality based on our own valuations Obafemis price is lower than reported. If that makes sense 🙂

Edited by Torgeir

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Looks like Christmas will have come early for Venkys, Waggott and Mowbray if they can not only shift Armstrong but Rothwell as well.

Especially when 90% of the fanbase has already accepted all the excuses and will be delighted as long as we 'replace' them with a couple of u23 loans.

Now they are talking about permanent deals being brought in.Again why don't you save your criticism and slagging off of other fans until we see how it plays out?

• Like 2

With the Armstrong deal almost wrapped up we’re finally now able to focus on incomings. First and foremost contracts need to be extended, there is no doubt about that, though I do believe players such as Rothwell and Nyambe are unlikely to sign irrelevant of what we offer them.

We need a couple of loans, no doubt, though I completely dispute the idea that we should bring in 5. A back up left back (lad from leeds) a central midfielder (Doyle) and a winger (lad from Brighton) are essential to filling out the squad, improving competition and providing us with some cover. I know some people want a centre half, however I’d argue that Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Carter, Magloire provide us with the cover and quality needed. A young CB from a prem team isn’t going to improve that and will only block the pathway of our younger players.

In terms of permanent additions we obvs need a striker to replace Arma. For me there are 3 players currently available/realistic in the market that would really please me to see come in.

1. Obafemi - probably the most realistic due to our connections with Southampton, being into his final year of his deal and his potential role in the Armstrong negotiations. Quick, strong, young and has a decent record in the prem when you look at his actual minutes. Rumoured 5m fee although could work out cheaper if that fee has been reduced in Arma negotiations. For that reason could be the best value for money option. 

2. Idah - probably the most unlikely. Really highly thought of at Norwich with a rumoured value of 5m. Norwich fans believe he has a big future and want to keep him though there are doubts over how many minutes he would get with Pukki ahead of him. Could only seeing it being a loan which doesn’t suit us. 

3. Dike - Abit of a wildcard, but the one who would excite me the most out of the lot. Excellent on loan at Barnsley last season, scored goals but was also credited for his power and all round play. People say we look a better overall team without Arma leading the line, well this lad would give us a chance to really improve on that. I think it’s one of the few players who would actually make us a more overall competitive team. Barnsley rumoured to be priced out of a 5-6m move by Orlando. Not sure if we could pay that? Interestingly I did hear last weekend from a pal of mine who follows football in the US very closely that we had asked about him earlier in the window. Have no clue how reliable that is. With the Arma money now coming in that might be one to keep an eye on. 

Let’s see what happens in the next couple of weeks. What we need to avoid is making loans signings for the sake of filling up the squad. Let’s give our promising academy players a chance in a season where we are going to probably end up midtable whatever we end up doing. Contracts have to be priority either way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Never said I have come up anything.

Mercer every summer we are on the brink of financial Armageddon In your opinion.

You sold Rhodes more times than Nixon.

Alex Neil the latest one you have got wrong..

IF it isn't your Bookie giving you the inside scoop it's one of your colleagues.Colleagues who seem to know the finer details of the Armstrong deal already.Its laughable

The Alex Neil one came from family with good connections to PNE.  All I would say is don't write that one off just yet!

My colleague in the NE like myself is an experienced financial professional with strong business connections and a wide range of contacts in the area (I'll leave it at that) so it would be no surprise if he picked something up.  As for 'finer details of the Armstrong deal', I did not say that - I posted £12m with £3m add ons which is not finer detail - funnily enough, someone else on this MB posted they've also read elsewhere it's  £12m with £3m add ons.

I think it's better for this MB if the likes of you and @chaddyroversstopped having a pop at me as I'm sure other members find it boring and tedious.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We chose to send them our academy produced goalkeeper for a relatively small fee. Mowbray sanctioned that. Fast forward 2 years and they are in the PL, and Raya will be worth £10 million+. They also will ensure he is under contract.

So the mugs were Rovers. Putting in years of hard work and effort to develop Raya into a good goalkeeper, showing patience and faith and then deciding to offload him to a Championship rival at the first sign of interest, they pick up a young keeper that is on his way to big things but needs polishing up.

Brentford have reaped the rewards of our academy. Us? Well we got some money, which was promptly all spent on Sam Gallagher. We've ended up with a good goalkeeper but he's out of contract next year so we can predict which way that one is going.

Yes, we're a shockingly run club.

Well identified. 

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Anything less than £4m for Obafemi is a good deal. Anything above I think we'd be best served avoiding it.

With his injury record and poor goalscoring record he should be a free transfer

46 minutes ago, JoeH said:

RE: the snippet posted in here. I posted around 6 minutes of clips on RK. This is just one small section focusing on his direct running on the ball. He's got other skills of course, but I certainly wasn't trying to advocate for signing a player based off those 45 seconds.

He's another Tyrhys Dolan in a nutshell. He runs with the ball, probably a slightly strong finisher than Ty but not much more too it. Certainly well thought of by the Brighton fans and a Borussia Dortmund graduate is always going to have some talent.

Not that Dolan is a good finisher, but is this fella any better, where is the evidence? The video is worrying in that he looks like he can run at players but there is nothing at the end of it. A player with less than 10 minutes of senior football is always a bit of an uncalculated risk really, hard to not be underwhelmed when we have been linked with loanees like Rodgers who have had success at least at a lower level and when he is replacing Elliott.

2 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Surely then you don't put the Armstrong deal through until the obafemi deal is tied up then put them through at the same time.

I think the issue then comes in trying to claim they're legitimately independent. Should Newcastle come wanting their share via the courts etc. But I'm only speculating.