BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Morecambe (h) 10/08/21

Play the young lads. A pointless cup and only a distraction. We need as injury free a season as we can get. If the young lads progress, great, if we don't make it through, not the end of the world. 5-3-2. Assuming Chapman is still out, if not, swap him in for Bucko or Dolan.

Kaminski

Pike Magloire Lenihan Carter Cirino

Garrett Buckley Davenport

Butterworth Dolan

We're not winning the cup, what a pointless debate. If we had a squad with any kind of chance of making it to Wembley, then sure, take it seriously. But in a season where our squad is paper thin, we cannot afford to lose 1st team players to go out in the 4th round.

Edited by JoeH

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That day at Cardiff didn’t seem pointless…

Oh to have the squad we had then now... 

You think this team is off to the final? It seems VERY unlikely to me

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We're not winning the cup, what a pointless debate. If we had a squad with any kind of chance of making it to Wembley, then sure, take it seriously. But in a season where our squad is paper thin, we cannot afford to lose 1st team players to go out in the 4th round.

Its a pointless cup you said. 

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Oh to have the squad we had then now... 

You think this team is off to the final? It seems VERY unlikely to me

I’m got taking it particularly seriously this season with that squad.

But as Jack said, though fair enough if you didn’t actually mean that one of only three major trophies in this country is ‘pointless’.

Edited by Mattyblue

16 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its a pointless cup you said. 

It is this year! I certainly don't mean the comp should be scrapped, but it's pointless for us. We're going to reap no rewards from a long but unsuccessful run in it, so play the young guns and see how they go for me

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It is this year! I certainly don't mean the comp should be scrapped, but it's pointless for us. We're going to reap no rewards from a long but unsuccessful run in it, so play the young guns and see how they go for me

Potential extra income and the intrigue of a tie against a big club to get a bit of excitement in a season that if it is anything like the last 3 will spiral into mediocrity. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Potential extra income and the intrigue of a tie against a big club to get a bit of excitement in a season that if it is anything like the last 3 will spiral into mediocrity. 

You see I hate this attitude. I do understand it but it's just an illustration of how far we've fallen. We shouldn't be excited to get a tie against a "big club". We should be playing them once a season at home in the league. 

We also shouldn't be in the position of selling our best players to fucking Southampton or Crystal Palace. We're Blackburn Rovers ffs...

2 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

You see I hate this attitude. I do understand it but it's just an illustration of how far we've fallen. We shouldn't be excited to get a tie against a "big club". We should be playing them once a season at home in the league. 

We also shouldn't be in the position of selling our best players to fucking Southampton or Crystal Palace. We're Blackburn Rovers ffs...

No what we are is Blackburn Rovers 2021, like it or not.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I was, for the first time in ages, considering coming to watch this as tickets are cheap as chips but my husband has just announced he's got a meeting and my daughter is away on hols!

You can still come by yourself gumboots! It sounds like you're free.

I can but I've sort of lost the confidence nowadays. Parking, walking to the ground on your own and especially walking back to the car afterwards. At one time it wouldn't have bothered me but nowadays it does. It's the only night either of us has anywhere else we have to be too. 

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Play the young lads. A pointless cup and only a distraction. We need as injury free a season as we can get. If the young lads progress, great, if we don't make it through, not the end of the world. 5-3-2. Assuming Chapman is still out, if not, swap him in for Bucko or Dolan.

Kaminski

Pike Magloire Lenihan Carter Cirino

Garrett Buckley Davenport

Butterworth Dolan

Can't disagree with that too much - difficult decision is whether to play Lenihan or not. Would agree from the perspective of helping out a young defence - but leaves us exposed if he gets injured. Buckley is another one I would possibly rest - but then there isn't much to replace him with. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The only potential a cup run has for us is the potential for injury to important players who we need for the League.

55 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I can but I've sort of lost the confidence nowadays. Parking, walking to the ground on your own and especially walking back to the car afterwards. At one time it wouldn't have bothered me but nowadays it does. It's the only night either of us has anywhere else we have to be too. 

If you park at the side of the Spar at Mill Hill you can gladly walk down and back with us. Seems a shame to miss the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The only potential a cup run has for us is the potential for injury to important players who we need for the League.

Well no, I have just pointed out 2 positives from a cup, well I can think of 3.

Most of our seasons just fade into mediocrity and have very little excitement. Why as a fan would you want to dismiss a potential bit of excitement, a game or 2 against big teams or getting quite far?

Financially, people keep banging on about FFP, getting further especially if we end up on TV, have a couple of extra home games and/or play a bigger side might get some unexpected income in.

There is also momentum, win tomorrow and we go into the weekend on the back of a couple of wins.

By all means rest a few, no point playing Ayala for example, put in a couple of youngsters amidst mainly the first team. 

Mowbray has said that there wont be wholesale changes which I am pleased about as I havent paid a tenner to watch us forfeit with our under 23s. Are you attending, and if so why if a cup run is not what you want, surely a win would be an unwelcome distraction?

• Like 3