BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Moderation Lead

Funny thing is, Sterling has been playing way better than Rashford this season as well.
Southgate’s pretty stubborn on the sly. I think when he’s questioned, he digs his heels in even harder.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I liked this article on Kalvin Phillips' state of play; ESPN: Phillips needs to play. It sounds like he wants to move. 

Unlike with Maguire Southgate has no alternatives to Phillips. He won't play Stones there. 

I also think that the 4-2-3-1 formation Southgate is now deploying makes England more attacking. The extra cover gives the front 4 more license to go, and it frees up Bellingham. 

It's roughly 9 months before the tournament starts. I'd say that Southgate already has the vast majority of his squad written down.

The Qatar 2002 squad;

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale

- It's 2 of three from Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale, Sam Johnstone to join Pickford. 

Defenders: Ben White, Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Trent Alexander-Arnold, John Stones, Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Conor Coady, Luke Shaw.

replaced by Guehi, Colwill, Tomori. Chilwell and James were both injured last year. Will they both be back? There should be a spot open as Southgate lists Trent Alexander-Arnold as a midfielder. 

Midfielders: Declan Rice, Jordan Henderson, Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Connor Gallagher, Kalvin Phillips.

- he hasn't played since France last year and is struggling in a dodgy Man U team.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, Bukayo Saka, Phil Foden, Marcus Rashford, Callum Wilson, Jack Grealish, James Maddison

- Sterling has been a Southgate favourite but has had a spotty year. If Pochettino gets him going he may be back. I think Wilson is done. Watkins? Calvert-Lewin?

Ivan toney is easily the best of the lot behind kane. He's the perfect all round forward.  I'd definitely take him

On 19/10/2023 at 10:15, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure Rice is quite top class although hes definitely the only definite in there. None of the group of centre backs to partner Stones (who himself seems to be turning into more of a holding midfielder, if we had good centre backs maybe Rice and Stones could work) are without their drawbacks or at a level youd feel totally confident against the best but there is more than enough to still make Maguire's definite place in the team never mind the squad as a joke. And left back isnt a great area for us either, sods law that all of our full backs are right back.

But some of our attacking talent is really world class and there is quality in parts behind that. Definitely enough to not feel the need to be quite so pragmatic and to repeatedly select players who dont play for their clubs.

I think Marc ghuei could fill in for Stones at centreback.  He's becoming a really good defender.  As you say Stones is world class in midfield.  His performance in the champions league final was superb

Edited by roverandout

On 20/10/2023 at 04:18, RoverDom said:

What's the crack with Ben White? Went home from the WC never to be seen at England again 

His continued exclusion lends weight to the "fall out " theory.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/16/why-ben-white-left-the-world-cup-early-what-gareth-southgate-is-now-planning-to-do/

Edited by AllRoverAsia

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another international break is upon us. 

England play Malta and North Macedonia in the last round of qualifiers.

Squad here; ESPN - England squad

Lewis Dunk, Callum Wilson, and James Maddison are injured so Southgate has brought in Ezri Konsa, Cole Palmer, and Rico Lewis.

No Sterling again. He had a very good game yesterday too. 

The England games are immaterial, already qualified and not playing a calibre of team that will provide any help with preparation.

Will that mean that Southgate does anything but still hand out caps to the likes of Phillips, Henderson and Maguire? No chance.

Rashford will likely start too despite truly shocking form all season.

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Palmer should definitely be in contention for the euros.  The amount of attacking talent we have is staggering 

southgate is very conservative given the artillery he has,there should be no excuse for not winning the euros with what he has at his disposal,though i suspect his approach will have us come up short again

• Like 2

10 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Yet another international break is upon us. 

England play Malta and North Macedonia in the last round of qualifiers.

Squad here; ESPN - England squad

Lewis Dunk, Callum Wilson, and James Maddison are injured so Southgate has brought in Ezri Konsa, Cole Palmer, and Rico Lewis.

No Sterling again. He had a very good game yesterday too. 

Absolutely ridiculous.

If England don't win each of those games by at least 5 then they shouldn't be allowed to qualify.

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

If England don't win each of those games by at least 5 then they shouldn't be allowed to qualify.

England v Malta - what is the point ? So some no mark can get an England cap ? So Harry Kane can get a few more goals ?

When do we play Treasure Island ?

When I think back to the Rivers team I grew up watching - Matt Woods, one of the best centre halves in the league, never got a cap. Ronnie never got another cap after the selectors fell out with him in spite of playing as well he ever had later in his career. Even Dougie was given the cold shoulder when he was the best playmaker in the league.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

England v Malta - what is the point ? So some no mark can get an England cap ? So Harry Kane can get a few more goals ?

When do we play Treasure Island ?

When I think back to the Rivers team I grew up watching - Matt Woods, one of the best centre halves in the league, never got a cap. Ronnie never got another cap after the selectors fell out with him in spite of playing as well he ever had later in his career. Even Dougie was given the cold shoulder when he was the best playmaker in the league.

looking back to my younger days,fantastic players like cyril regis,gordon cowans,peter withe,gary shaw etc did`nt get many caps,even the world class glenn hoddle only got 50 when should have had 100,scholes was ***** around as well,shunted out on the wing because the manager had an arousel for gerrard and lampard,when neither were in scholes league

• Like 2

What is this Friday night England game stuff all about? 

Do they not know what decisions like this mean? Blokes around the country are today being dragged to towns and cities Christmas shopping? Instead of settling down to watch England with a cold beer? 

Not me of course, I rule the roost in this house..........

See you in Sheffield at around 1pm 🙄 I'll be the one looking miserable trying to persuade the Mrs I do have some Welsh blood - Armenia V Wales 2pm!

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Southgate laid the foundations, but is not able to get that extra 15% needed to really win. He must go.

I expect the Euros will be his last shot at winning something and if he doesn't do well, he'll get his marching orders.

Question is, who on earth would we replace him with?

20 hours ago, Gav said:

What is this Friday night England game stuff all about? 

Then we played Monday so players can be back with their clubs on Wednesday for training. 

The first international game is either played Thursday or Friday or Saturday then 3 days later on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday 

20 hours ago, Gav said:

Do they not know what decisions like this mean? Blokes around the country are today being dragged to towns and cities Christmas shopping? Instead of settling down to watch England with a cold beer? 

Not me of course, I rule the roost in this house..........

See you in Sheffield at around 1pm 🙄 I'll be the one looking miserable trying to persuade the Mrs I do have some Welsh blood - Armenia V Wales 

Better doing your Christmas shopping online. Easier and less stressful and busy. 

6 hours ago, jny said:

I expect the Euros will be his last shot at winning something and if he doesn't do well, he'll get his marching orders.

Question is, who on earth would we replace him with?

Eddie Howe, Lee Carsley and Graham Potter will probably be the shortlist