BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Could the fans save the club without ownership?

Yes. But the issue with that is two fold -

1) Many genuine fans would be loathed to do it because they know the current management structure would deem it as their success - and they want the management team to be removed from their position. 

2) Many fans need an element of success to hold on to. I have no doubt if we played in League 1 every season and finished top-2 each year without being promoted, we would sell many more STs. People want to see success and happiness, they don’t want to see the current team lose 2-1 to Middlesbrough, they’d rather watch us win 3-0 against Oldham. 

• Like 2

Well of course it would, but it just ain’t going to happen when the team treads water in the second division year after year, and it’s £30 (£400+ STs) for the privilege too.

Most floating fans aren’t particularly arsed about Waggott, Venky’s etc, they just see a bang average side playing in a morgue, and that’s not a state of affairs that gets folk marching down Livesey Branch.

It’s all pretty obvious so not quite sure why this needs a thread.

• Like 4

To do that you need imagination and a bold drive to get people back in.

If they'd done it when they should have after promotion and set out a clear plan of aiming to crack the top end within a few seasons it would've pulled a few more in. Slashing the ST prices like some similar clubs have done in the past to 199/250 would've seen 14/15k home fans in regularly. Then you can slowly increase the price again, barring dire seasons, that would've seen us now still with 10k plus ST holders.

Things would've looked a little better off the pitch despite the muddled under achieving stuff on it.

In short, around here you've got to get them in whilst you can because you've no chance when things are tough.

• Like 3

Ok I’ll rephrase, yes of course some have walked away in despair, but the majority of Rovers fans aren’t interested in the ownership, Chief Exec.

They just go to watch the team, and they won’t be back when the team is as average as this, never remotely threatening the top end of the table, just a club going through the motions - J*B’s second point is on the money. We on here and those that have walked away in despair know why we have such a mediocre team, however many fans aren’t interested in the reasons, just the reality and they won’t be parting with £30/40 to see it.

We need to remember that most fans aren’t that invested, they don’t see it as their duty to attend, that their attendance could keep us out of FFP, they never marched, protested, turned up at Blakey’s, they won’t even be aware of the Brockhall situation. 

But floating or whatever, they’ve gone and there’s nothing currently that will bring them back, especially at the quite ridiculous prices, apart from actually doing something on the pitch, so as I said I’m not sure what the point of the thread is when there will be nothing forthcoming from the club either on or off the pitch to entice people back.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ok I’ll rephrase, yes of course some have walked away in despair, but the majority of Rovers fans aren’t interested in the ownership, Chief Exec.

They just go to watch the team, and they won’t be back when the team is as average as this, never remotely threatening the top end of the table, just a club going through the motions - J*B’s second point is on the money. We on here and those that have walked away in despair know why we have such a mediocre team, however many fans aren’t interested in the reasons, just the reality and they won’t be parting with £30/40 to see it.

We need to remember that most fans aren’t that invested, they never marched, protested, turned up at Blakey’s, they won’t even be aware of the Brockhall situation. 

But floating or whatever, they’ve gone and there’s nothing currently that will bring them back, especially at the quite ridiculous prices, apart from actually doing something on the pitch, so as I said I’m not sure what the point of the thread is?

Makes a lot of sense this, cheers for clarifying. 

It would be interesting to know what the split of disparing to floating - or better phrased less interested in the deeper stuff - fans is. Maybe it's the echo chamber thing but because most Rovers fans I knew were invested it seems a lot were in this category. 

Added in I think it's hard to be ignorant of some stuff. Of late the Brockhall thing and earlier on Singh clowning around got lots of airtime. So I struggle to see how you can remain ignorant on this as someone with more than a passing interest in Rovers. 

Still regardless of the breakdown of the whys and wherefores the issue is clearly crap owners and crap management. 

I’d say a lot of fans read the odd thing in the LT about the Brockhall sale, but due to piss poor reporting and the refusal to even print Rev’s letter,  I’d wager a majority, as they had nowhere near the deep dive into it that we had on here, would have had no issue with it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, StubbsUK said:

Given that we always seem to be a Steve Waggot priced half time pie & a pint away from breaching the FFP rules, do you think a mass return to Ewood by fans would help, increasing gate receipts would ease some of the pressure? 

No offence but it's a bit of a silly question. Why would increasing gate receipts not help ease the pressure with FFP?

Look at BRFC as a failing restaurant. The food served is poor, the service and the atmosphere is poor. We've taken our best dish off the menu and not replaced it. However instead of improving the situation and getting customers back, it just puts its prices up to the locals.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

It all depends on what level we're talking about. Fans alone would probably see us in Div 2 or non League.

I've always thought the job of the fans if Venkys walked, would be to keep the club going until a new owner or consortium came forward. There's nearly always someone waiting in the wings.

We would then hope to gradually rebuild. If we were successful the fans would come, not necessarily "come back" but by then we could attract new ones.

Other clubs have died (or almost) and returned, Bolton and Blackpool most recently.

So, one way or another, there will always be a Blackburn Rovers but whether the owners are Venkys in perpetuity, the fans or a new owner, time will tell.

The fans have always turned out in my opinion if the product on the pitch is worth the effort, its always been the case at Ewood and will remain so in future.

What the fans also want is some pride back in the town and its football club, the club needs claiming back from Venkys.

We need someone with a few quid who has a vision and ambition to buy the club and get him/them front and centre of a marketing campaign to claim the club back. Offer shares to future season tickets holders, put fans on the board, get the fan groups involved, hold events, create a buzz around the football club. Which manager would you look to put in charge, what would the budget be? Stadium redevelopment, old players involved, a promise not to sell the training ground, season tickets for £199 across the board, you get the picture.

You don't have to officially own the club to get momentum going, but you do have to be a Rovers fans in my opinion, or the desire would soon be tested with Venkys ignoring you month after month.

The town and its football club need some pride back, watching the Premiership program last night showed what once was Ewood and it can be again if we get rid of these owners.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

It's a typical catch22 for us at the moment I think. Fans with an "entertainment budget", ie those who decide to come or not based on the quality of the product the same way they decide to go and watch a film or concert.

I agree with Gav that we need someone with vision and ambition, but a new owner would still be hamstrung by FFP.

It reminds me of that scene from Bill & Ted:

Bill : Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar.

Ted : Yes, Bill. But, I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video.

Bill : Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we even have decent instruments.

Ted : Well, how can we have decent instruments when we don't really even know how to play?

Bill : That is why we NEED Eddie Van Halen!

Ted : And THAT is why we need a triumphant video.

Tony: While I agree that in time our team will me most triumphant, The truth is Blackburn Rovers will never be a super club till we get better players.

Steve: Yes, Tony, But I do not believe we will get better players until we are free from FFP

Tony: Steve, it's pointless having better players if we don't have any fans

Steve: Well, how can we get more fans till we get better players?

Tony: and that is why we need to be free from FFP

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l46CDHTqbmnGZyxKo/200.gif

Attending games is one thing fans could do to try and break the stalemate we're in at the moment. Yes, it's not the complete answer but it's something we could do to break the cycle.

Maybe pick a game as a one off & just see how many we could encourage to go, no deals, no gimmicks, just as many fans as possible.

20 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Well of course it would, but it just ain’t going to happen when the team treads water in the second division year after year, and it’s £30 (£400+ STs) for the privilege too.

Most floating fans aren’t particularly arsed about Waggott, Venky’s etc, they just see a bang average side playing in a morgue, and that’s not a state of affairs that gets folk marching down Livesey Branch.

It’s all pretty obvious so not quite sure why this needs a thread.

Treading water is the nicest way of putting it.

This decade is the longest period in my Rovers lifetime without a decent-or any sort of-challenge. Nothing. Zilch..

In the past, of course there were heartbreaks at missing out on promotion etc, but at least we were in the mix for a good part of the season. The lack of any kind of push would breed apathy on its own. Then there is all the other toxic stuff.

And, for me, there remain concerns about the aim of loaning/buying players....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StubbsUK said:

Tony: and that is why we need to be free from FFP

Maybe pick a game as a one off & just see how many we could encourage to go, no deals, no gimmicks, just as many fans as possible.

And that is why we need to be free from Venky's

Maybe pick a game as a one off & just see how many we could encourage NOT to go, Let the owners know we are not happy.

• Like 1

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Maybe pick a game as a one off & just see how many we could encourage NOT to go, Let the owners know we are not happy.

Isn't that what's happening now? Something has to change and attending the games is one of the few things fans have at our disposal.

34 minutes ago, StubbsUK said:

Isn't that what's happening now? Something has to change and attending the games is one of the few things fans have at our disposal.

I agree - it's our only weapon really - if we aren't happy with the owners we should show it. A one off protest where nobody attends - it will have more affect than a few hundred extra attending a game

• Like 2

Of course the fans have a massive part to play in the future of BRFC. Trouble is as is highlighted we as fans have been let down time and time again, promises have never been fulfilled and we continue to regress further than ever rather than expected continual progression.

Rovers need a huge overhaul behind the scenes, a person as CEO with drive, vision and who can think outside the box to give fans something to get their arses to Ewood and spend their cash. Sadly all we have seen is CEO’s such as Derek and Maggot who have not got a clue on how to engage with the fan base or have the vision required to move this club forward.

• Like 5

At some point…excuse me…the chickens come home to roost…

Not just for Rovers, but for all the Championship clubs not in receipt of parachute payments. A look down the road at Accrington Stanley shows us all what a fully-functioning club looks like where owner, manager & fans all are on the same page. The Championship is a financial basket case where economic madness rules.

I too suspect that a whole generation of fans look back on our League One sojourn as a high watermark of entertainment & enjoyment.

If we were getting 14k home fans every home game the arguments would be the same. The extra few quid brought in wouldn't have made much difference despite what gets said. They'd have found a way to waste it the problem at Ewood , with the wealthy generous but clueless owners  and the void,  it all gets taken for granted by those drawing a big wage from it. 

People would bleat 'but we don't get 18/20k like some do, if we did we'd be doing this that an the other'.  Rovers aren't getting that in this league barring some brief revolution or other. 

It's all bollocks everything begins and ends at the top in terms of how it's run and funded and on the field. How it's managed and how those funds are used. Everything else, crowds, FFP, pitch and the rest are just convenient excuses and distractions.

At least 100 million above the clubs own income and sales must've been spewed on this decade of mostly championship football. We should be in a much healthier position and it's #### all to do with the crowds or fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

At some point…excuse me…the chickens come home to roost…

Not just for Rovers, but for all the Championship clubs not in receipt of parachute payments. A look down the road at Accrington Stanley shows us all what a fully-functioning club looks like where owner, manager & fans all are on the same page. The Championship is a financial basket case where economic madness rules.

I too suspect that a whole generation of fans look back on our League One sojourn as a high watermark of entertainment & enjoyment.

I have to take exception with this Herbie with the greatest of respect.

Gordon Lee in 1975, Howard Kendal in 1980, fantastic seasons for the club and its supporters.

The promotion from league one under Mowbray seems to be frowned upon on here rather than celebrated, thats not right, we are hardly blessed with promotions over the past 50yrs, lets not chalk them off as somehow below us.

The Oxford game with 28,000 fans on Ewood was just brilliant, I never thought I'd see those numbers again, just superb for me.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1