BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Football doesn't matter in a public health crisis

Football does matter to people and their well being including their mental and social health. If you don't want attend then make your choice and stay at home and lock the doors. Thats your choice but people who want to attend should be allow to

Given that you need to double jabbed or have a negative test to attend games. It no more a risk then going Christmas shopping in Manchester or going food Shopping. 

• Like 3

It’s pretty difficult to argue against though Chaddy. Given the current numbers it is hard to see how you can justify letting thousands of people gather together in close proximity plus all the associated non essential travel. I know you will argue it’s safe because it’s outside but everyone spends a couple of hours right next to a lot of people many of whom are shouting and singing. There also appears to be some evidence building that Omicron is more infectious than previous variants in outdoor settings as it hangs around in the air longer.

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Doesn't it have to be approved by the house of lords as well ?

Changing the law does and I can’t see that happening before next week as the Government are absolutely desperate to avoid any new restrictions before Christmas. But presumably they could just ask the PL and EFL to close grounds to fans ahead of a law change and it would be almost impossible for them not to.

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yeah think Henry Winter may have a bit more of an inside line to the clubs and PL then your good self, Chadster 😁

But the PL and its clubs aren't shutting the grounds but it will be a Government decision. 

41 minutes ago, only2garners said:

It’s pretty difficult to argue against though Chaddy. Given the current numbers it is hard to see how you can justify letting thousands of people gather together in close proximity plus all the associated non essential travel. I know you will argue it’s safe because it’s outside but everyone spends a couple of hours right next to a lot of people many of whom are shouting and singing. There also appears to be some evidence building that Omicron is more infectious than previous variants in outdoor settings as it hangs around in the air longer.

Well I was there on Saturday and it was more than safe. What the point in having vaccine passports, wearing face masks and people get vaccination if we have another lockdown? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

But the PL and its clubs aren't shutting the grounds but it will be a Government decision. 

Well I was there on Saturday and it was more than safe. What the point in having vaccine passports, wearing face masks and people get vaccination if we have another lockdown? 

Funny, I thought I was more than safe last weekend, but I seem to have caught it. How the hell did that happen?

If the Government tells the PL and EFL to shut grounds they will

Anyway shutting football grounds isn’t lockdown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

What the point in having vaccine passports, wearing face masks and people get vaccination if we have another lockdown? 

I don't always agree with everything you write (and having seen your posts on the politics page I defo don't agree with you there!), but you are absolutely spot on here. It's a slap in the face for all of us who do the right thing, have been vax/booster, wear masks etc. 

I won't say any more as I don't want another thread to be dominated by covid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Funny, I thought I was more than safe last weekend, but I seem to have caught it. How the hell did that happen?

If the Government tells the PL and EFL to shut grounds they will

Anyway shutting football grounds isn’t lockdown.

I will address your points in the correct thread which is the Coronavirus thread

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will address your points in the correct thread which is the Coronavirus thread

Apart from the 3  posts above then?

Anyway I would have thought that discussing the likelihood or not of matches going behind closed doors was a relevant one for the attendances thread. Covid was clearly a factor in Saturday’s attendance figure.

This time last year they allowed limited fans into grounds in London/low Covid rate areas like Norwich and Brighton whereas most areas of the country including NW were not allowed any fans in.

We had a long time of 'local' restrictions with Lancashire one of the longest and most severe in those due to Covid rates.

Fast forward to now and we keep being told that 'Omicron' rates are high in London but less elsewhere. Strange how they don't adopt a localised approach this time around and allow low Omicron areas to continue to function normally for longer whilst restricting those areas with high rates.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Will it really, who knew!

There's also things called ‘briefings’, ‘leaks’, ‘off the record chats’, ‘backchannels’. 

But as always Chaddy, you seem to struggle with reading between the lines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't know how long this spectator ban will last but we are due at Cardiff on January 15th. It's a bugger because I have booked train tickets for me and my granddaughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-59729129

I read somewhere, the Welsh behind closed doors rule is until mid January, so you never know, you still might get to it. 

• Like 2