BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see the risk at all in attending tbh if you have followed the rules and we can't keep stopping our lives everytime there is a new outbreak or variant. We have to keep having our freedoms and our way of life 

I am not going to keep panicking over this virus and let it determine what I do. Football is the main only thing I do social anyway and I not going to run away from doing it. I missed enough of it during the lockdown period. 

Strange thing to say when there is clearly a very high risk

It's OK having a libertarian attitude about freedoms and carrying on with life but the virus doesn't discriminate over who it infects and younger people seem to be particularly vulnerable this time. Why would you put your family Christmas at risk because of a football match?

According to LT there will be 10 checkpoints set up around Ewood. On average that's about 1,600 going through each in say 90 minutes (assuming fans arrive at 1230pm) which looks like (1,600 divided by 150) 10 people checked every minute.  

Edited by Cherry Blue

27 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Both Chris Whitby and Nikki Kanani have just fairly clearly said that anyone worried about being well for Christmas should not be going to large events like football games this weekend. Of course it’s currently your choice but there clearly is a good reason not to go assuming you have family plans next weekend.

Or large events like shopping or walking down the street or coming into contact with other people. In fact just stay in your house. You may not live longer, but it will seem like it.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see the risk at all in attending tbh if you have followed the rules and we can't keep stopping our lives everytime there is a new outbreak or variant. We have to keep having our freedoms and our way of life 

I am not going to keep panicking over this virus and let it determine what I do. Football is the main only thing I do social anyway and I not going to run away from doing it. I missed enough of it during the lockdown period. 

Well said chaddy.

What's the point in being vaccinated if it doesn't allow you to carry on leading your life as normal?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Both Chris Whitby and Nikki Kanani have just fairly clearly said that anyone worried about being well for Christmas should not be going to large events like football games this weekend. Of course it’s currently your choice but there clearly is a good reason not to go assuming you have family plans next weekend.

well given that attending Saturday game will be the only social thing I will do before Christmas Eve I am more than happy to go with Family and Friends, plus given its outside and I will be wearing my snood and scarf will be protect me enough. 

Yes I have family plans on Christmas day and we will be all going. Also I am looking to Hull away on Boxing day aswell. 

If people do the right thing - get jabbed or do the test - I don't see the problem.

Conversely, I'd be pretty narked if someone sat next to me if they hadn't.

Needless to say though, I'll be at Ewood on Saturday. I've been working from home for 20 months now and, like Chaddy, the Rovers is my main social activity.

I'm triple jabbed, tested and will wear a mask if I feel it's necessary. The alternative is to just give up.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

According to LT there will be 10 checkpoints set up around Ewood. On average that's about 1,600 going through each in say 90 minutes (assuming fans arrive at 130pm) which looks like (1,600 divided by 150) 10 people checked every minute.  

It's looking much more likely that only a sample of fans will have their details checked.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Strange thing to say when there is clearly a very high risk

It's OK having a libertarian attitude about freedoms and carrying on with life but the virus doesn't discriminate over who it infects and younger people seem to be particularly vulnerable this time. Why would you put your family Christmas at risk because of a football match?

Depends on your view whether you think it is high risk and what you do social and how many times you be mixing with people before Christmas. 

Jim, I will be having my Family Christmas Jim. But I will continue to attend Football matches this weekend and over Christmas Period given that I will outside and I will have multiple protections in place. Football is the only thing I am planning on doing until the new year socialing after from family Christmas time

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well said chaddy.

What's the point in being vaccinated if it doesn't allow you to carry on leading your life as normal?

exactly or even getting the booster. 

Might aswell lock us all up inside our homes and not release us ever. 

On 14/12/2021 at 21:30, J*B said:

A few points on this -

1) There's no such thing as freedom of speech in the UK.

2) I know of at least two Ribble Valley football teams that have had tickets through this scheme - their demographic is very much 'white British'. It's not certainly a scheme devised to be 90% ethnic children. 

3) In the 2011 census, 28% of people within Blackburn with Darwen identified as 'Asian/Asian British'. When you attend Ewood, would you say that 28% of attendees fit this demographic? I wouldn't - I would guesstimate much closer to 5%. Therefore this demographic is hugely under represented and I commend Rovers for doing more to get it closer to 28%. 

4) The key to building back attendances is to get kids hooked whilst they're young. I'm sure that we can all agree that we don't give two damns what ethnicity or religion these kids are from as long as it benefits the club. 

Hear hear

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, only2garners said:

It's looking much more likely that only a sample of fans will have their details checked.

Hope so, otherwise it'll be carnage trying to get in.

Have to say that the vaccine passports are extremely unfair and discriminatory against the elderly who may not be computer savvy and/or those who don't possess a smartphone (not Rovers fault).

I also don't feel the need for a vaccine passport for Saturday has been particularly well publicised. When I was looking for prices of Birmingham tickets the other morning I thought I would check the Rovers website to see what the requirements or potential requirements would be and there wasn't the first mention of it. Whether it's on there now I don't know.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hope so, otherwise it'll be carnage trying to get in.

Have to say that the vaccine passports are extremely unfair and discriminatory against the elderly who may not be computer savvy and/or those who don't possess a smartphone (not Rovers fault).

I also don't feel the need for a vaccine passport for Saturday has been particularly well publicised. When I was looking for prices of Birmingham tickets the other morning I thought I would check the Rovers website to see what the requirements or potential requirements would be and there wasn't the first mention of it. Whether it's on there now I don't know.

Simon - I put a link to the message that Rovers put out last week on the Coronavirus thread (I think). Presumably more will come out in the next two days but I would have had a link to what’s there already on the game ticket page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Under the current legislation 20% or more will be spot checked. The local public health authority makes the decision on the actual percentage.

• Like 1

We have taken the decision not to attend on Saturday, which is gutting as we had 10 ex-season ticket holders coming too, but its the sensible option. 

Not wanting to turn this into a Covid thread but, the omicron variant is running wild right now, January is going to be really tough for NHS and people across the country, we are not going to take the risk. 

16 hours ago, only2garners said:

Simon - I put a link to the message that Rovers put out last week on the Coronavirus thread (I think). Presumably more will come out in the next two days but I would have had a link to what’s there already on the game ticket page.

I understand that there will be an email going out to all ST holders and all who have bought tickets for Saturday's game outlining the arrangements for attending the game. You will get it even if you have opted out of receiving emails as the club recognise that this is a Health & Safety issue. If they haven't got an email address for you they will text you. 

Gav - I would not be surprised to see this weekend's games all called off.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Not hearing that currently o2g, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it happened.

Hope the wife is ok 👍

35 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I understand that there will be an email going out to all ST holders and all who have bought tickets for Saturday's game outlining the arrangements for attending the game. You will get it even if you have opted out of receiving emails as the club recognise that this is a Health & Safety issue. If they haven't got an email address for you they will text you. 

Really can't see that happening.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, only2garners said:

thanks for the update

32 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I would not be surprised to see this weekend's games all called off.

massive over reaction again. 

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

We have taken the decision not to attend on Saturday, which is gutting as we had 10 ex-season ticket holders coming too, but its the sensible option. 

Not wanting to turn this into a Covid thread but, the omicron variant is running wild right now, January is going to be really tough for NHS and people across the country, we are not going to take the risk. 

very disappointed to hear that Gav but given what Chris Whitty said this morning to the health select committee that if your priority is to attend a football match then do it. He said its people choice what they want to do and not. 

Lets calm down and stop over reaction to this variant and lets wait for the data. Who says tough for Hospitals when we don't have the data to back that up and more and more people are getting the booster including myself this afternoon. Plus other restrictions, We can't keep locking down the country every time we have a new variant. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lets calm down and stop over reaction to this variant and lets wait for the data. Who says tough for Hospitals when we don't have the data to back that up and more and more people are getting the booster including myself this afternoon. Plus other restrictions, We can't keep locking down the country every time we have a new variant. 

The data we have is hugely negative as Chris Whitty said last night. The NHS is currently working right at the edge and all the scientific data suggests that there is going to be a huge uptick in the number of infections in the next couple of weeks. That means lots more NHS staff are going to be self isolating soon.

Now maybe omicron will turn out to be less severe than other variants but as Whitty said last night there is currently precious little evidence of that and what there is is from South Africa where the population is much younger and probably has more immunity.

Good to hear that you're having your booster Chaddy, but bear in mind it won't provide you with full protection for another week to 10 days at least.

11 minutes ago, only2garners said:

The data we have is hugely negative as Chris Whitty said last night. The NHS is currently working right at the edge and all the scientific data suggests that there is going to be a huge uptick in the number of infections in the next couple of weeks. That means lots more NHS staff are going to be self isolating soon.

Now maybe omicron will turn out to be less severe than other variants but as Whitty said last night there is currently precious little evidence of that and what there is is from South Africa where the population is much younger and probably has more immunity.

Well given most of our elderly population have had the booster jab then they will have immunity needed against this variant. 

I know about my own status but given that I have only just over 3 months from my second jab. 

Lets wait for proper data and not over reaction too soon

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well given most of our elderly population have had the booster jab then they will have immunity needed against this variant. 

I know about my own status but given that I have only just over 3 months from my second jab. 

Lets wait for proper data and not over reaction too soon

Well clearly not Chaddy. My wife has been tripled jabbed for nearly three months now but she’s got it. Now it’s very likely that she will not be seriously ill (she already feels better), but she still has to self isolate for 10 days. That’s what the problem is going to be - thousands, probably hundreds of thousands will have to do the same and for anyone who gets it in the next week that will include Christmas.

Another piece of data this morning - the R rate was 1.2 last week. Now it is estimated between 3 and 5.

As Chris Whitby says it’s your choice and you should prioritise events/meetings that are most important to you. Maybe for you it is the game on Saturday rather than Christmas. Despite the fact that I enjoy the football it’s not for me.

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Well clearly not Chaddy. My wife has been tripled jabbed for nearly three months now but she’s got it. Now it’s very likely that she will not be seriously ill (she already feels better), but she still has to self isolate for 10 days. That’s what the problem is going to be - thousands, probably hundreds of thousands will have to do the same and for anyone who gets it in the next week that will include Christmas.

everybody immunity will be different surely?

Another piece of data this morning - the R rate was 1.2 last week. Now it is estimated between 3 and 5.

I am fully aware of this data thanks

As Chris Whitby says it’s your choice and you should prioritise events/meetings that are most important to you. Maybe for you it is the game on Saturday rather than Christmas. Despite the fact that I enjoy the football it’s not for me.

Yet again Garners like I said yesterday I will be attending Football with family and friends over the Christmas period including the Hull away game and the home games. But I will be going to Auntie and Uncle house on Christmas day for family Christmas meal like I done for over 25 years before last Christmas and this virus turned up. 

Leicester v Spurs is off, expect more to be called off before the weekend.

Brentford manager today pleaded the entire PL to be called off

This isn't an "over-reaction". At the current rate of growth 11 million people could be infected by Christmas Eve.

Omicron has been close to home and it's isn't pleasant. No one would want to contract it

Assuming it goes ahead, I hope the fans attending at Ewood on Saturday enjoy the match - it might be the last one for a while

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You said  a few minutes ago "let's wait for the data" then say you're aware of the data

Which is it?

I am aware of that particular data Jim

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Leicester v Spurs is off, expect more to be called off before the weekend.

Brentford manager today pleaded the entire PL to be called off

This isn't an "over-reaction". At the current rate of growth 11 million people could be infected by Christmas Eve.

Omicron has been close to home and it's isn't pleasant. No one would want to contract it

Assuming it goes ahead, I hope the fans attending at Ewood on Saturday enjoy the match - it might be the last one for a while

lets lock up the population again and ignore people choices and freedoms. 

What's the point in people getting jabs and boosters if everytime we lock the country down and close down businesses and people attending their socials events when a new variant. 

I don't expect any more lockdowns or to not attending football matches over the festive period

• Like 1