BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

I thought that the ticket prices for Barnsley being cat C/£20 meant that Waggot had finally got the message (yes I realise it is technically a mid week game, but it is during the Christmas festive period so I thought they'd make it a Cat B on that excuse)..

But no ol' Swag comes up with another special for Huddersfield. New years day, Rovers going well, decent away support and bang ruins all of that with Cat A prices. Ffs

The only good thing is that by chance more than design it looks like only Blackpool will Cat A post Hudds, due to all the potential ‘big’ away support fixtures falling in the first half of the season. 

So assuming we don’t go behind closed doors, at least any crowd building momentum won’t be stalled by £36 tickets in the JWU…

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I am going away for 6 months in January, happy to handover my season ticket if someone wants it for rest of season (free of charge). Be nice if someone who has unfortunately been priced out for what ever reason to have it. JW upper. DM me if you want it.

What did you do? 😯🤣

• Moderation Lead

For the curious- posts hidden as they contained suggestion that large groups of people were selfish, when they are only following government guidelines.

Whatever we think of the government, those are the rules we all have to follow.

Anyhow, back to the footy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

For the curious- posts hidden as they contained suggestion that large groups of people were selfish, when they are only following government guidelines.

Whatever we think of the government, those are the rules we all have to follow.

Anyhow, back to the footy!

Government guidelines that now require Covid passes at "mass events" but not football matches

250,000 pupils off school this week, Omicron cases doubling every few days, a growing crisis, isn't it reasonable to ask whether fans should still be going to games?

Either way, it's not difficult to see the attendance to Rovers' next home game being lower than expected

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Government guidelines that now require Covid passes at "mass events" but not football matches

250,000 pupils off school this week, Omicron cases doubling every few days, a growing crisis, isn't it reasonable to ask whether fans should still be going to games?

Either way, it's not difficult to see the attendance to Rovers' next home game being lower than expected

You do need a covid pass for football matches though? Vaccine status or negative test? So not really sure what your point is

Not sure it'll be that much different on Saturday as the week before Christmas is traditionally lower anyway.  Might get quite a few STs missing but they're counted anyway and maybe a few extra coming with the current renewed optimism might balance it out.

End of the day we are always up against it now with only just over 7k season ticket holders ( well done men in suits !).  It means we need 3k plus walk ons in home sections every game just to make it remotely respectable.

As far as i can see this time most people are just carrying on regardless, masked or unmasked. The way it should be imo and those who prefer to play it safe will do and that's fair enough.

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

That’s reasonable to ask, but it’s not reasonable to accuse anyone that attends matches of being selfish.

Anyway, back to football please!

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As far as i can see this time most people are just carrying on regardless, masked or unmasked. The way it should be imo and those who prefer to play it safe will do and that's fair enough.

That might have been true a few days ago but many are clearly not now. Hospitality has seen huge numbers of cancellations in the last few days. There will definitely be fans not wishing to mix in a crowd on Saturday and I suspect others who won't want to go through the hassle of getting their pass or negative test result.

Yesterday I heard of two friends who have tested positive - the first for quite a while. And we're currently awaiting a PCR test result on my wife - it it's positive I won't be at Ewood on Saturday.

17 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That might have been true a few days ago but many are clearly not now. Hospitality has seen huge numbers of cancellations in the last few days. There will definitely be fans not wishing to mix in a crowd on Saturday and I suspect others who won't want to go through the hassle of getting their pass or negative test result.

Yesterday I heard of two friends who have tested positive - the first for quite a while. And we're currently awaiting a PCR test result on my wife - it it's positive I won't be at Ewood on Saturday.

Well i'm snookered if i can't get what i need from the app as having had covid in late Sept it's likely i'll still test positive.  It's going to be an interesting day.

If you can provide some proof of a positive test from September that will also get you in Tomphil. This is the advice from Rovers - https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/december/13/covid-19-certification-q-a/

The relevant bit is in bold below: -

In anticipation of the upcoming introduction of Covid ‘Plan B’ measures, Rovers are encouraging supporters to get prepared.

The introduction of Covid-19 certification means that people aged 18 and over, who are attending any event with more than 10,000 people, must present one of the following in order to attend:

A digital NHS COVID pass

A paper NHS COVID pass

Proof of a recent negative Lateral Flow Test (or PCR test)

Confirmation of a positive test within the last six months

• Backroom

From today we need to avoid Covid unless you you want to spend Christmas not putting our nearest and dearest at risk. 10 days to Christmas.

I hope everyone on this board gets to be with their loves ones on the day.

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Burnley match off tonight because of Covid outbreak

Who wants Covid for Christmas? I still think anyone going to Ewood on Saturday is barmy

How many outbreaks have their been at a football match? I doubt anyone going to Ewood on Saturday gives a shit if you think they are barmy or not to be honest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

How many outbreaks have their been at a football match? I doubt anyone going to Ewood on Saturday gives a shit if you think they are barmy or not to be honest.

Good luck

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/soccer-euro-2020-final-wembley-was-superspreader-event-times-2021-08-20/

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mike E said:

From today we need to avoid Covid unless you you want to spend Christmas not putting our nearest and dearest at risk. 10 days to Christmas.

I hope everyone on this board gets to be with their loves ones on the day.

I will be spending Christmas with my family and none of us worry about this latest covid outbreak. 

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

of course they haven't been but people have to follow the rules. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

any outbreaks at football matches within the last 10 to 14 days?

Who knows but it's highly likely and with record infections today and doubling every few days almost inevitable from now on. 

Anecdotally this variant is very close to home, is spreading fast and is not pleasant

It's your risk but you can't blame people if the attendance is well down on Saturday (if the match goes ahead)

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Who knows but it's highly likely and with record infections today and doubling every few days almost inevitable from now on. 

Anecdotally this variant is very close to home, is spreading fast and is not pleasant

It's your risk but you can't blame people if the attendance is well down on Saturday (if the match goes 

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

That’s reasonable to ask, but it’s not reasonable to accuse anyone that attends matches of being selfish.

Anyway, back to football please!

Why are you only censoring me?

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's your risk but you can't blame people if the attendance is well down on Saturday (if the match goes ahead)

I don't see the risk at all in attending tbh if you have followed the rules and we can't keep stopping our lives everytime there is a new outbreak or variant. We have to keep having our freedoms and our way of life 

I am not going to keep panicking over this virus and let it determine what I do. Football is the main only thing I do social anyway and I not going to run away from doing it. I missed enough of it during the lockdown period. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well I will be attending the Rovers game on Saturday with family. We will follow the guidelines and stick to the rules. 

no reason not to attend the game for me and my family/friends. We are all happy to go. 

Both Chris Whitby and Nikki Kanani have just fairly clearly said that anyone worried about being well for Christmas should not be going to large events like football games this weekend. Of course it’s currently your choice but there clearly is a good reason not to go assuming you have family plans next weekend.

If you are willing to go to a big event at the moment with cases so high, you have to accept that there is a large chance of catching Covid prior to Christmas. Washing hands, masks etc will perhaps fractionally reduce the risk, but the risk will still be high.

I could understand it specifically as a tactical choice to skip a game knowing that it falls a week before Christmas if you are desperate to ensure specifically that you avoid it at Christmas, and suspect that

In general, of course I think that avoiding events out of fear of Covid is counterproductive because and I know its becoming a well worn out cliche, but we do have to live with it, and hopefully variants will continue to become milder.