BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to exercise a bit of caution here. Sign the wrong player and we could start going backwards

. I remember Man City playing really well and leading the old First Division going into the run in. For some reason they decided they needed “ the last piece of the jigsaw “ so they put the boat out to sign Rodney Marsh. Although Marsh was a class act it took them a few weeks to fit him into the jigsaw. By the time they had fitted him in they’d slipped off the top and Notts Forest pipped them to the title.

A more recent example is Asprilla at Newcastle.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Thinking aloud (freebies) and strictly spitballing re: experienced hands down the home straight:

Hatem Ben Arfa - 34 but might enjoy one last hunt for glory helping us get up?

André Wisdom - RB cover, experienced, 28yo.

Maicon - CB, experienced, international.

Winston Reid - as above.

Henri Saivet - 31, attacking midfield, possibly no need due to returning Dack.

Mikel - 34, past it potentially, but experienced at the top level.

Contracts ending: One last shoot for the Premier League?

Arturo Vidal - You know why! Pre-contract too.

Felipe - 32, centre back

Axel Witsel - 32, midfield

Danny Wass - 32, midfield

Cenk Tosun?

Steve Cook at Bournemouth?

Ben Arfa could be the new Berkovic. Arturo Vidal would be immense. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Only Rev could paint Venky’s as the saviours of our season, preventing that dastardly Mowbray from flogging off their prolific forward in the midst of a  promotion charge! 😁

Up until that most recent comment every utterance from Mowbray on BBD has sounded like a "He's for sale, please come and get him plea".

I think me and Gav are on exactly the same page on this issue, with the best chance of returning to the PL in a decade in the offing no-one should be leaving in January new contracts agreed or not.

If they do then it wouldn't say much for the owners' long term ambitions for the Club despite noises to the contrary.

On the flip side, would people be prepared to give them some grudging credit if, as we all hope, no-one goes and a couple of decent extra bodies come in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to exercise a bit of caution here. Sign the wrong player and we could start going backwards

. I remember Man City playing really well and leading the old First Division going into the run in. For some reason they decided they needed “ the last piece of the jigsaw “ so they put the boat out to sign Rodney Marsh. Although Marsh was a class act it took them a few weeks to fit him into the jigsaw. By the time they had fitted him in they’d slipped off the top and Notts Forest pipped them to the title.

Tyrone you’re wrong Marsh joined in March 72 that season Derby won the league under old big head. The following season Liverpool won the title.

6 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Tyrone you’re wrong Marsh joined in March 72 that season Derby won the league under old big head. The following season Liverpool won the title.

Wasn't it big Mal that signed Marsh. Both flamboyant characters. Tyrones point is still valid though. Not every player is an automatic improvement of a squad.

52 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Yes it was Derby. I knew Bryan Clough was involved. The point is still valid though. Having to accommodate the talents of Rodney Marsh destabilised City.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You are one of those hesitators....if nobody else is doing it then it must be shit ...🤷‍♂️ what a load of cobblers.  The lad was world class and is only 32

Was being the appropriate way to describe him in his current state ! I know enough about football that if he isn’t doing it in top flight football he is certainly not good enough for the toil of the championship even you just agree on that score! 

All this talk about who we should sign! We've got to third with what we have. I'd be happy with keeping them all and having cover at right-back. Oh, and get rid of Clarkson and maybe loan someone else.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The more players we have, the more fiddling around from Mowbray.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Huh I am completely baffled by Mowbray's comment about bringing in young strikers. Is that a misquote?

No its not misquote but when he says young striker I think he was talking about looking at signing striker around the age 19 to 22 and coming in January and learning how we play for next season whether we get promote or not. 

Who that could be I really don't lnow

11 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Sturridge has been a cracking player, albeit one plagued by injuries though.

I don’t think we should take a punt on him now though, his race is run for me.

Agree with your comments . His wages would be well over what we would play and I would questions his fitness and the ability to fit into this team where it all about work rate, closing down, running and team work which isn't strong point. 

avoid 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

January would be shrewd. End of season like the other pre contracts pointless.

Screenshot_20211231-172528_Twitter.jpg

All down to the cost involved in the deal like wages and signing on fee even if its a low fee. Plus would Fulham sell to direct rival for the top 2 spots. 

I would look at Barnsley right back/wing back Callum Brittain. Had a good game against us and remind me of Ben Marshall when he played the right back role for us. Also think he could make the set up to PL football if we got promote

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No its not misquote but when he says young striker I think he was talking about looking at signing striker around the age 19 to 22 and coming in January and learning how we play for next season whether we get promote or not. 

Who that could be I really don't lnow

Agree with your comments . His wages would be well over what we would play and I would questions his fitness and the ability to fit into this team where it all about work rate, closing down, running and team work which isn't strong point. 

avoid 

All down to the cost involved in the deal like wages and signing on fee even if its a low fee. Plus would Fulham sell to direct rival for the top 2 spots. 

I would look at Barnsley right back/wing back Callum Brittain. Had a good game against us and remind me of Ben Marshall when he played the right back role for us. Also think he could make the set up to PL football if we got promote

he was the one that stood out for me on wed night 👍

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, bradford rover said:

he was the one that stood out for me on wed night 👍

Me too, but that was mostly because a right back being shirt number 7 is bewildering. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

A really baffling extension, one of the top earners before the contract extension, yet we can't afford to extend Rothwell Lenihan or Nyambe?

We dont know that the two are linked.If we didnt give Gallagher a new contract doesnt mean the others would sign.

I get Gallagher isnt rated but the club doing right tying him down.

• Like 1