BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’ll be the best wing back at the club IF he can stay fit. Perfect position for him really and he’s shown to me that he has much more ability than Nyambe or Pickering. His fitness is the only real concern. 

Bit unfair on Pickering - has excellent technical quality for me. Not defensively brilliant, but then neither is JRC.

• Like 1

Isn't a defenders main point meant to be to defend? 

Trent Alexander Arnold - great at attacking but can't defend - dropped from England squads.

People forget that Nyambe has been relatively good in the final 3rd this season imo, yes he may not deliver the ball into the box as much as Pickering, yet he consistently takes 1-2 defenders/midfielders out of the game which allows our attackers to be open to a pass.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, briansol said:

Nyambe would play in Premiership not doubt, especially if his main responsibility is not bombing down the wing and cross.

He has not stood still at all. His positioning and heading have improved dramaticly. Timing and decision making as well.

His offensive progress has not been as good though. Blaming coaching is a cheap shot.

Not sure how many world-class coaches who would be able to turn a 19-year old, who have relied on his physical attributes into a modern-day Cafu. It's a bit late in the game to make up for the Techincal ability and awareness needed. 

If you think his heading has improved you are seeing something I’m not. If he could head the ball he’d be a candidate for playing on the right hand side of a back three.

16 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Isn't a defenders main point meant to be to defend? 

Trent Alexander Arnold - great at attacking but can't defend - dropped from England squads.

People forget that Nyambe has been relatively good in the final 3rd this season imo, yes he may not deliver the ball into the box as much as Pickering, yet he consistently takes 1-2 defenders/midfielders out of the game which allows our attackers to be open to a pass.

Not a wing-back. A RB in a 4, sure, but RWB/RM's in a 5? They need to be able to cross a ball, play a forward pass... as a bare minimum

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you think his heading has improved you are seeing something I’m not. If he could head the ball he’d be a candidate for playing on the right hand side of a back three.

I'm not the only one who has seen the improvement. 

image.png.13e16c3ad16d0b96e3f3ecd15f6dff67.png

• Like 6

Has his final ball ability held us back in terms of scoring? Or have his defensive strengths helped us to how many clean sheets in the last 7 games? We don't have a problem scoring and we're tough to score against. He is a big part of both. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bit unfair on Pickering - has excellent technical quality for me. Not defensively brilliant, but then neither is JRC.

I really like Pickering. But I think JRC is the best of the bunch at wing back, IF he can stay fit.

18 minutes ago, briansol said:

I'm not the only one who has seen the improvement. 

image.png.13e16c3ad16d0b96e3f3ecd15f6dff67.png

He’s still poor in the air for me. He can’t get off the ground very well and where the ball goes when he does make contact is any bodies guess. I’ve played with amateur players that were 10 times better at heading the ball.

I agree regarding the one on one, he’s terrific in that respect.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Actually think the new system we play doesn't help Nyambe. As many point out his final ball isn't the greatest maybe wing back doesn't suit his style but as Tyronne points out his heading ability limits his chances as the Right side of the three. 

I actually think you'd see a better final ball from Nyambe if we got a greater number in the box so yes a better team may help him improve him.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Actually think the new system we play doesn't help Nyambe. As many point out his final ball isn't the greatest maybe wing back doesn't suit his style but as Tyronne points out his heading ability limits his chances as the Right side of the three. 

I actually think you'd see a better final ball from Nyambe if we got a greater number in the box so yes a better team may help him improve him.

Using wing backs highlight both his great positives (amazing physicality and endurance) and flaws (lack of quality delivery).

How it works out for him each game depends really how the opposition sets up. If they play relatively high and we get them on the counter Nyambe is great as he can get beyond their full back with his pace and power and look for the cutback. But if they sit deep he's absolutely buggered as he can't pick out anyone with a cross from deep, and while he can beat the full back in a one on one on the outside he's not going to beat two players covering the left back position.

Against Huddersfield you could see how often we got confused about what to do in the right wing area, and things just petered out as Nyambe turned and passed back. If JRC was on he'd be throwing the ball in early trying to find BBD at the back post.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Not a wing-back. A RB in a 4, sure, but RWB/RM's in a 5? They need to be able to cross a ball, play a forward pass... as a bare minimum

I completely agree. Although I also think it's way too early to be thinking about being in the prem next season, the odds are still stacked against us. 

Let's hope we're having this debate in the summer though 🙂 For what it's worth, I don't think the current crop of players would be anywhere near being competitive in the Premier League. I'd still take promotion though! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

If we go up, Pickering and JRC will get absolutely mauled off premier league opposition. Nyambe far less so.

JRC got mauled off Liverpools 16 year olds before Christmas....woeful... I'm sure when he's fit he will be a world beater though..💪🙄

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If JRC was on he'd be throwing the ball in early trying to find BBD at the back post.

But their left sided players would be more inclined to attack JRC and we would be more vulnerable down that side.  Nyambe is the best we have there that's why he plays.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

If we go up, Pickering and JRC will get absolutely mauled off premier league opposition. Nyambe far less so.

Firstly, the vast majority of our squad would get ‘mauled’ in the Premiership. Having watched Nyambe be pretty much inconsistent for years I’m content that Adama Traore, Mane, Son, Martinelli and co would feel confident against him too 👍🏼

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

But their left sided players would be more inclined to attack JRC and we would be more vulnerable down that side.  Nyambe is the best we have there that's why he plays.

No, he plays because he’s the only RB at the club. When JRC was fit, he was favoured and he isn’t even a natural RB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Nyambe won't be that easy to replace, as someone else pointed out, you'll have to find a better player for a combined lower transfer fee and wage than it'd cost to give Nyambe what he's wanting- good luck with that one.. There's also this myth good rightbacks are easy to come about- they're not.

Give these lads the contracts they deserve unless you can replace them with better players for less than the cost of their contracts.

So you dont think Orr and Caddis were world beaters?

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Thought TM said 4-6? Still a massive blow though. Need Edun to step up!

Telegraph story reckons 6 weeks.Was put on 20 minutes ago 

Same article reckons we will be without a couple at weekend due to Covid.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Telegraph story reckons 6 weeks.Was put on 20 minutes ago

Fair enough. Rovers twitter is saying 4-6, so fingers crossed it's closer to the lower end of that. Four weeks from last weekend wouldn't be the end of the world with bearing in mind one of the games he'll be missing is in the cup, but if it gets towards the end of February then he'll be missing a concerning number of games.