BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff (a) - 15/1/22 - 12.30pm kick off

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh we are crap at throw ins in general and have been for years. But it's mostly down to poor movement. When the opposition have them, we give them too much space (less so recently) and when we have them nobody gets into space. It's why it takes Nyambe 5 days to take a throw in.

I have commented before and after watching the u18 on Wednesday and the u23 several times the whole club are crap at throw ins which is a surprise as there are more throw ins than anything else in the game , surely  its not beyond someone to coach the entire playing staff in taking them any advantage being better at them will help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have kept 7 clean sheets in the last 8 league games. Thats is outstanding 

Lenihan was my man of the match and here are his stats from the game via Rovers chat

Didn’t see the match today but Lenihan has impressed me in every game I’ve caught this season. After his performances last season I thought he’d reached the limits of his development and would have been happy to see him go, but he’s kicked on and taken his game to another level now. He’s awesome in the air, positionally aware, and has become very accurate with those long balls from deep. What’s changed? Is he more suited to a 3? Is it because Ayala has had more appearances this season?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pentelrobot said:

Can't comment on the game, as all I saw was Gateway 504 error. A good win, nonetheless.

The  refund is all well and good, but an explanation would help to soften the blow from my Saturday being ruined. I wonder if the same will happen on Wednesday? makes me wary of paying in advance.

its on sky so don't think they can stream it

41 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh we are crap at throw ins in general and have been for years. But it's mostly down to poor movement. When the opposition have them, we give them too much space (less so recently) and when we have them nobody gets into space. It's why it takes Nyambe 5 days to take a throw in.

Cardiff’s best chance came when we ballsed up a throw in just before half time. Their winger got possession and put in a great cross that their striker couldn’t quite get to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Lenihen has been immense since we changed to 3 at the back.

His distribution has improved drastically.

If we dont get promoted clubs in the Premier league will be looking at Wharton.Looks a top player in the making if he can avoid anymore long term injuries

He doesn’t seem to be drawn to the ball a lot like he used to be. Now he just holds his position and plays things as they come.

52 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If there’s one facet of the game to be crap at, I’d take thrown ins. Just get the ball back in play. 

42 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I have commented before and after watching the u18 on Wednesday and the u23 several times the whole club are crap at throw ins which is a surprise as there are more throw ins than anything else in the game , surely  its not beyond someone to coach the entire playing staff in taking them any advantage being better at them will help.

Time to dig out the old video footage of Tugay taking the throw onto his chest and hooking it down field.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Seems to be a part of the game we just don't regard as important, but it's weird, because every part of the game is important. It's not entirely surprising in the first team, because Mowbray has been quoted in the press before as basically saying he doesn't work on set pieces. But it's surprising to hear that nonchalance is endemic to the whole club, even just on the throw-in portion of them. We seem to have improved at taking (a bit) and especially in defending set pieces since then, maybe throw-ins will be on the agenda at some point...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Playing badly and winning. I'll take that every week. 

It sems that Mowbray needed 3+ seasons and a change in formation to finally sort out his defence.

Along with Van Hecke and Wharton.

Pickering was missed today.

1 hour ago, yankfan said:

If there’s one facet of the game to be crap at, I’d take thrown ins. Just get the ball back in play. 

I see where you're coming from, but it still matters. An individual throw in is usually less important than an individual free kick or corner, but you get more of them. A badly defended throw-in can be as deadly as a badly-defended free kick or corner. A well-taken one can lead to goals too, as Stoke and other sides have shown from the long throws over the years, and even short ones with good movement can create chances.

You say just get the ball back in play, but that's part of our problem, we don't. There's so little movement that our throw ins slow our momentum as the taker has to wait for someone to look like they give a shit.

The main thing though is that it wouldn't be difficult to improve on what we're doing. It's basic stuff we get wrong with them, any decent coach should be able to improve it with a couple of sessions I would think.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He doesn’t “ sense danger “. That’s important in a defender.

It seems a common trait with these young full backs now, Henley, Bell now this lad all have same issues.  I'm sure Edun is more of a midfielder though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It seems a common trait with these young full backs now, Henley, Bell now this lad all have same issues.  I'm sure Edun is more of a midfielder though.

Mowbray said he bought him as a midfielder not a full back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

Great result that they are the types that keep you in the mix.

Didn't get much together going forwards but defensively all over the park outstanding.

Tommy K MOM for me just for the commanding of his box, how long since we've seen a keeper do that ?  Needed him on form but really they never threatened that much despite the possession.

A proper win i'd call that.

We are very dependent on him playing every game. Wrap him up in cotton wool and let him out on match days.

The alternative is unthinkable.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chances are Edun will be playing left back at Hull, I don’t think Sam will be.

Of course he will be because we have no one else and he wasn't terrible there, but Mowbray said he bought him for midfield. My response was to the comment, "I'm sure Edun is more of a midfielder."

Summer signing Edun will fill in for Pickering at left wing-back, though Mowbray added: “It’s not his natural role,” Mowbray added.

“Tayo can fill in there, it’s only over the last year or so that Michael Appleton has tried to convert him into a left back at Lincoln.

“We didn’t really bring him here as a left back, we brought him here as a versatile left footed player who I know as a midfield player, a tenacious midfielder who can tackle but also manipulate the ball and travel with it.

“At this moment he’ll have to fill in on the left side of our defence and I’m sure he’ll do fine.”

• Like 1