BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff (a) - 15/1/22 - 12.30pm kick off

Great result and resilience shown. It certainly feels different…like we’re onto something.

Slight concern…I make that four games now (4-0 against Birmingham) since we were in full flow in an attacking sense. Hopefully back to our best vs Hull City 🤞🏽👍🏼

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Great result and resilience shown. It certainly feels different…like we’re onto something.

Slight concern…I make that four games now (4-0 against Birmingham) since we were in full flow in an attacking sense. Hopefully back to our best vs Hull City 🤞🏽👍🏼

I thought we played fairly well against Barnsley as well and should have scored 4 or 5 that day.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

And to think we (well Mowbray) wasted nearly two season insisting pointless possession was the ONLY way to play. Suppose the manager deserves credit for effectively doing now what most people on here wanted to happen years ago - settled side, settled formation, playing normally. 

Also repeatedly told us you need 100 million to compete for promotion ......😁

Now all we might need is a couple of million this window to have a real go at it.

Come on Balaji you know it makes sense.

17 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I thought we played fairly well against Barnsley as well and should have scored 4 or 5 that day.

Agreed, we should’ve scored more but I thought we lacked that cutting edge / full tilt mentality. As oppose to Birmingham where we were absolutely ruthless. I’d like us to get back to that because it saves my nerves.

I’m not taking anything away from the recent heroic performances.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agreed, we should’ve scored more but I thought we lacked that cutting edge / full tilt mentality. As oppose to Birmingham where we were absolutely ruthless. I’d like us to get back to that because it saves my nerves.

I’m not taking anything away from the recent heroic performances.

Even the great Rovers promotion and title winning teams had to grind plenty of games out at various times. 4 and 5 goal victories won’t happen every week. 

Unless you’re Fulham of course…… (but even the maulings they’ve handed out recently have been interspersed with tight games)

Edited by oldjamfan1

I think teams are working us out and how to play more effectively against some of our players. Yesterday I thought outside of the central core of three centre halves and the keeper we looked tired and lethargic, we were back being second to too many contested balls/headers. Lots of careless, sloppy passing. Putting it in a sentence - when we play well we “ out enthuse “ the opposition. Cardiff “:out enthused “ us on Saturday. To a certain extent we allowed them to bully us. Of course we weren’t helped by the officials in that respect. Brererton came in for some rough treatment and I suspect his reputation as a diver went against him.  Reading their site that was possibly their best performance for a long while. When you’re up at the top everybody tries to knock you down, you’ve got to expect that and be ready for it.

We’ll need to be a lot better than that at Hull. Play like that again and we’ll probably lose.

• Like 5

Mowbray's 3-5-2 has worked well but managers have seen it and are adjusting. The better teams will know how to combat it and hurt us and the lower teams like Cardiff will make it difficult. We were lucky yesterday and were second best for alot of the match. That's unsustainable. Mowbray needs a plan B which is equally effective  

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray's 3-5-2 has worked well but managers have seen it and are adjusting. The better teams will know how to combat it and hurt us and the lower teams like Cardiff will make it difficult. We were lucky yesterday and were second best for alot of the match. That's unsustainable. Mowbray needs a plan B which is equally effective  

Not least because we’re playing 3-4-3

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

In that system our two wing backs are critical. They’ve got to get forward and make play in our opponents half. Yesterday they barely got over the half way line and nothing came from them.

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Not least because we’re playing 3-4-3

With Buckley in that withdrawn role it’s more 3-4-1-2. I thought Buckley was starting to read the publicity yesterday. He had one shot from about 25 yards out. It was never on, he had runners up in support and the shot was weak as piss. The keeper just threw his cap on it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In that system our two wing backs are critical. They’ve got to get forward and make play in our opponents half. Yesterday they barely got over the half way line and nothing came from them.

We miss Pickering, hopefully Zeefuick can bring that back for us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

just watched highlights and how come when Gallagher is blocked off the ref waves play on and last week in the utd game a goal was dissalowed  because a player was blocked off what actually is the rule?

Whatever the dipshit with the whistle fancies on the day.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

just watched highlights and how come when Gallagher is blocked off the ref waves play on and last week in the utd game a goal was dissalowed  because a player was blocked off what actually is the rule?

There used to be an offence called "obstruction". You never see it applied these days

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

It wasn’t disallowed for for the block, it was disallowed for off side apparently. It took them 3 mins plus of searching through VAR to spot that incident. No VAR yesterday.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With Buckley in that withdrawn role it’s more 3-4-1-2. I thought Buckley was starting to read the publicity yesterday. He had one shot from about 25 yards out. It was never on, he had runners up in support and the shot was weak as piss. The keeper just threw his cap on it.

Except you often see those front 2 tracking back to help out their WB...

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Forget the possession based stuff and build from the back. Get a solid defensive base and the rest will follow", that was the cry from most of us.

It's fair comment that the "possession game" is less important than it was made out to be last season, but the "build from the back" aspect still applies.

For example yesterday, the goal came from a couple of passes at the back & between DL & JR before DL played a Tosin-like sliderule pass up to Khadra who laid it off for the onrushing Rothwell. Against Brum, TK threw out to Dl, who brought it out of defence then played in Khadra to round the keeper & finish.

Building from the back is good, so long as it us done sensibly & is one tactic amongst many.

13 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

It's fair comment that the "possession game" is less important than it was made out to be last season, but the "build from the back" aspect still applies.

For example yesterday, the goal came from a couple of passes at the back & between DL & JR before DL played a Tosin-like sliderule pass up to Khadra who laid it off for the onrushing Rothwell. Against Brum, TK threw out to Dl, who brought it out of defence then played in Khadra to round the keeper & finish.

Building from the back is good, so long as it us done sensibly & is one tactic amongst many.

Yer sorry, probably from the way I worded it, I meant ditch the possession stuff.

Then start to build from the back.

Not ditch both the possession and the build from the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

The goal in the United game was disallowed because the player who did the blocking was offside, not for the actual foul.  (Just as @Tyrone Shoelacessays. I should have read the thread through 🙃)

Edited by Hasta

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with this. Only thing I can add is that a good second choice is hard to find. Leuitweiler was meant to be one of his previous team's best performers and he was rubbish. Walton won league 1 and is dreadful. Good keepers in league 1 aren't so easy to find. 

My shout would be Marshall from Derby. Dropped from first to third choice and a former international keeper. Strong backup and available (I think). 

I'd be a bit interested in Cardiff backup Dillon Phillips. Think he has played about 10 games there.

For me Pears is just right for our bench keeper. My thought would be, Pears would be on the bench all season. He comes on if required as a sub during a game. Our second choice keeper would be playing with the U23s, and gets put into the first team above Pears in case of needing a keeper to start a game.