BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff (a) - 15/1/22 - 12.30pm kick off

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

We are very dependent on him playing every game. Wrap him up in cotton wool and let him out on match days.

The alternative is unthinkable.

I'd feel a lot better if they brought proper back up in just in case. He clearly has a few niggles bothering him so the wise thing to do would be to prepare.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'd feel a lot better if they brought proper back up in just in case. He clearly has a few niggles bothering him so the wise thing to do would be to prepare.

That would mean TM admitting he'd dropped a bullock with Pears!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, booth said:

Of course he will be because we have no one else and he wasn't terrible there, but Mowbray said he bought him for midfield. My response was to the comment, "I'm sure Edun is more of a midfielder."

Summer signing Edun will fill in for Pickering at left wing-back, though Mowbray added: “It’s not his natural role,” Mowbray added.

“Tayo can fill in there, it’s only over the last year or so that Michael Appleton has tried to convert him into a left back at Lincoln.

“We didn’t really bring him here as a left back, we brought him here as a versatile left footed player who I know as a midfield player, a tenacious midfielder who can tackle but also manipulate the ball and travel with it.

“At this moment he’ll have to fill in on the left side of our defence and I’m sure he’ll do fine.”

Weve got a loan, why not use that to get a left back in? Seems our biggest need. Lots of cover elsewhere.

Ps. GK the other lack of cover but think we will struggle to find a decent sub GK who will fancy coming in not to play. 

Edited by joey_big_nose

19 minutes ago, booth said:

Of course he will be because we have no one else and he wasn't terrible there, but Mowbray said he bought him for midfield. My response was to the comment, "I'm sure Edun is more of a midfielder."

Summer signing Edun will fill in for Pickering at left wing-back, though Mowbray added: “It’s not his natural role,” Mowbray added.

“Tayo can fill in there, it’s only over the last year or so that Michael Appleton has tried to convert him into a left back at Lincoln.

“We didn’t really bring him here as a left back, we brought him here as a versatile left footed player who I know as a midfield player, a tenacious midfielder who can tackle but also manipulate the ball and travel with it.

“At this moment he’ll have to fill in on the left side of our defence and I’m sure he’ll do fine.”

He looked to me like a player who was learning the role today. Just my opinion of course.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He looked to me like a player who was learning the role today. Just my opinion of course.

I was hoping Edun would be given the opportunity to take Travis's role but with Pickering out for 4-6 weeks it's highly doubtful.

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

If you are going for promotion, you can't afford to be crap at any part of the game. 

Is that a Chinese proverb? 

I didn't see the game today, but posters are saying we were crap throughout the game and guess what? We won, 3 points came back up the M5/M6, job done.

Don't talk nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I didn't see the game today, but posters are saying we were crap throughout the game and guess what? We won, 3 points came back up the M5/M6, job done.

Don't talk nonsense. 

Rigger’s post was referring to our technique, or lack of it , at throw ins. If you watch the highlights you’ll see that Cardiff’s best chance came from a cock up at a Rovers throw in when we carelessly lost possession in a dangerous area.

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Don't talk nonsense. 

Perhaps I should have worded my reply better. You can't be crap at any facete of the game.

Edited by rigger

31 minutes ago, 47er said:

That would mean TM admitting he'd dropped a bullock with Pears!

Nah, he was already talking about loaning him out back in December. Then Kaminski got injured and Pears did ok for a few games, albeit rarely tested. The Wigan game surely must have undone that. If we throw away promotion because we failed to bring in a solid backup keeper and Kaminski got injured, I'm going to be absolutely furious.

20 minutes ago, Gav said:

Don't talk nonsense. 

While we didn't play good football, we weren't crap. Defensively we were as solid as any other win this season, and considering we were (wrongly) a man down the team showed character. I do hope midfield and going forward we improve though!

41 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Weve got a loan, why not use that to get a left back in? Seems our biggest need. Lots of cover elsewhere.

Ps. GK the other lack of cover but think we will struggle to find a decent sub GK who will fancy coming in not to play. 

I'd probably look for one who already is a sub GK elsewhere. If on a perm, tell them our main man has had a few niggles this season and they could get a few matches. Give them large appearance and clean sheet bonuses.

Or loan someone from a Prem or Championship team that isn't playing and has an ever-present in front of them who never gets injuries.

Must be a few decent first choice keepers in League One who wouldn't cost the earth too, and would be happy just to get to a higher league with better money. Maybe someone at the later end of their career if necessary. It wouldn't be difficult to improve on what we have seen from Pears. Wigan had their backup keeper on the pitch I think, and he didn't play as badly. Hell even Leutwiler was better than this kid has been thus far.

On top of which it would let us send Pears out on loan, if anyone will still have him. Since we still have him under contract for 2 years after this summer, and spent a few hundred k on him, we might as well get some games in him and save a little of his wage, and hope he develops confidence and ability with a run in a team somewhere. He was Boro number one for a while so it's disappointing he has been this poor but he really has been. We just can't hinge our season on him not having more Wigan performances if called upon.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't help reflecting that once again possession had no impact on the result of this game.

We had 34%!

And to think we (well Mowbray) wasted nearly two season insisting pointless possession was the ONLY way to play. Suppose the manager deserves credit for effectively doing now what most people on here wanted to happen years ago - settled side, settled formation, playing normally. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't help reflecting that once again possession had no impact on the result of this game.

We had 34%!

"Forget the possession based stuff and build from the back. Get a solid defensive base and the rest will follow", that was the cry from most of us.

And look, a settled side, players in correct positions, solid defensive base, less emphasis on possession and we are sat 3rd in the league.

It's easy this football management lark 😂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'd probably look for one who already is a sub GK elsewhere. If on a perm, tell them our main man has had a few niggles this season and they could get a few matches. Give them large appearance and clean sheet bonuses.

Or loan someone from a Prem or Championship team that isn't playing and has an ever-present in front of them who never gets injuries.

Must be a few decent first choice keepers in League One who wouldn't cost the earth too, and would be happy just to get to a higher league with better money. Maybe someone at the later end of their career if necessary. It wouldn't be difficult to improve on what we have seen from Pears. Wigan had their backup keeper on the pitch I think, and he didn't play as badly. Hell even Leutwiler was better than this kid has been thus far.

On top of which it would let us send Pears out on loan, if anyone will still have him. Since we still have him under contract for 2 years after this summer, and spent a few hundred k on him, we might as well get some games in him and save a little of his wage, and hope he develops confidence and ability with a run in a team somewhere. He was Boro number one for a while so it's disappointing he has been this poor but he really has been. We just can't hinge our season on him not having more Wigan performances if called upon.

Agree with this. Only thing I can add is that a good second choice is hard to find. Leuitweiler was meant to be one of his previous team's best performers and he was rubbish. Walton won league 1 and is dreadful. Good keepers in league 1 aren't so easy to find. 

My shout would be Marshall from Derby. Dropped from first to third choice and a former international keeper. Strong backup and available (I think). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with this. Only thing I can add is that a good second choice is hard to find. Leuitweiler was meant to be one of his previous team's best performers and he was rubbish. Walton won league 1 and is dreadful. Good keepers in league 1 aren't so easy to find. 

My shout would be Marshall from Derby. Dropped from first to third choice and a former international keeper. Strong backup and available (I think). 

He just joined qpr a few days ago