BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff (a) - 15/1/22 - 12.30pm kick off

Although winning ugly and against the run of play is often the sign of a successful team... You do still have to be very careful not to become too complacent and relying on luck and poor opposition form to be on your side because it doesnt last forever, At some point you do have to get back on your A game and dominate games if you want to keep the run going until the end of the season

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Although winning ugly and against the run of play is often the sign of a successful team... You do still have to be very careful not to become too complacent and relying on luck to be on your side because it doesnt last forever, At some point you do have to get back on your A game and dominate games if you want to keep the run going until the end of the season

But we didn’t rely on luck. We scored from the best quality attack from either side and our keeper made two saves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

It was against the run of play poses in-wise but I wouldn’t say flukey. I would if they were hitting the post and missing good chances but not in how the game panned out.

We had some good situations before we went 1 up and I thought we were the better side up until the goal. Then we sat back and miserably failed in trying to hit them on the break.

Those tactics might not have worked for us offensively, but when you have a defence that have conceded just 3 goals in the last 10 league games then you know if you get in front you can hold the lead (whoever thought we would say that about Tony’s Rovers).  Therefore to concede a lot of possession once in front and not be an attacking force but comfortably hang on isn’t flukey.  Weirdly, I never felt like we were going to concede there, where previously you just sat there waiting for it to happen.

They did hit the post and missed good chances. Many saved by Kaminski. 

• Moderation Lead

Didn’t manage to see any of today’s game, bar a video sent to me of the goal.

Technical issues, making me re register when I already have an account, then other assorted problems put paid to that!

However, thought today was a potential banana skin and just glad we came through it unscathed.

Onwards and upwards, COYB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

It was against the run of play poses in-wise but I wouldn’t say flukey. I would if they were hitting the post and missing good chances but not in how the game panned out.

We had some good situations before we went 1 up and I thought we were the better side up until the goal. Then we sat back and miserably failed in trying to hit them on the break.

Those tactics might not have worked for us offensively, but when you have a defence that have conceded just 3 goals in the last 10 league games then you know if you get in front you can hold the lead (whoever thought we would say that about Tony’s Rovers).  Therefore to concede a lot of possession once in front and not be an attacking force but comfortably hang on isn’t flukey.  Weirdly, I never felt like we were going to concede there, where previously you just sat there waiting for it to happen.

Thanks for the highlight though as if i didn't know we conceded that few goals!

Not the point.

Okay, so to win the championship - just dont concede goals - win 101 - ok

No shit sherlock. 

If you think we can get promotion with a tootlhess attack and a defense currently holding stock - lets see. Just admit they played poorly today. They couldnt even pass the ball. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Although winning ugly and against the run of play is often the sign of a successful team... You do still have to be very careful not to become too complacent and relying on luck to be on your side because it doesnt last forever, At some point you do have to get back on your A game and dominate games if you want to keep the run going until the end of the season

Exactly

2 hours ago, neophox said:

You say Breretons been poor all season??....

Ok I can agree Brereton has been Brereton 2022 but I hope he will rediscover Diaz on wednesday night.

Today he was the poorest that he has been all season, obviously he has not been poor.

38 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You can say bollocks to that and that’s fine but we’ve been guilty in seasons gone by of not managing games and being pragmatic.

Today it became clear as the game went on and on that we needed to sit tight and see it out. Rovers of years past would’ve pushed and pushed for the second and probably conceded at least one, if not two.

Clean sheets has to be the focus. Lovely to win today but for me you have to just focus on maintaining draws away and wins at home.

20 games left. 10 wins 10 draws takes us to 89 points. Perfect.

The thing is, the win at home and draw away mantra is very much nothing more than a throwaway cliche. Today for example against a Cardiff side with horrid home form, a draw would have been frustrating, not pleasing. The cliche relies upon the assumption that it is realistic for any team to win every home game. Again, on Wednesday night, we should be going aiming to win. We are a pragmatic team anyway so it's not as if we throw caution to the wind at any point.

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Not the point.

No shit sherlock. 

If you think we can get promotion with a tootlhess attack and a defense currently holding stock - lets see. Just admit they played poorly today. They couldnt even pass the ball. 

They couldn't pass the ball, it's a weird set up at the moment. Rock solid at the back but Buckley, Rothwell, Brereton, Khadra, Travis need to work on their passing, it's appallingly bad at the moment. The worst is when they pass it straight to an opposing player. Is it nerves, weariness, laziness because there's little competition for places? Only Tony knows but it needs freshening up, I'd love to see a good striker and a good midfielder to come in to provide competition.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, booth said:

They couldn't pass the ball, it's a weird set up at the moment. Rock solid at the back but Buckley, Rothwell, Brereton, Khadra, Travis need to work on their passing, it's appallingly bad at the moment. The worst is when they pass it straight to an opposing player. Is it nerves, weariness, laziness because there's little competition for places? Only Tony knows but it needs freshening up, I'd love to see a good striker and a good midfielder to come in to provide competition.

Something to be said for this. Finally fielding a settled team has been instrumental in our run of form. But eventually it can make things go stale. Might be time to shake the apple cart a little. Not sure where though..obviously Zeefuik should play the game Nyambe misses. I'd probably say...Khadra? I get the feeling being benched would make him really hungry. Although in truth the main problem was probably in the middle three. And Davenport has been steady enough when called upon, so maybe him for Travis, who played a terrible pass straight to the opposition in the second half, with no need to play it near them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Today he was the poorest that he has been all season, obviously he has not been poor.

none of our attacking players have a good game. It was of case of stay tight and give them nothing in terms of clear cut chances. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We are a pragmatic team anyway so it's not as if we throw caution to the wind at any point.

I would like to think we can throw caution to the wind if we needed to but all season we have very rarely needed to. I prefer us to play counter attacking and been solid at the back with this squad as it suits us

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Watching the Luton highlights - it's reassuring to see Bell roasted for both of the Bournemouth goals. 

I see Bell had a long throw, did he ever use it here. I don't remember seeing it. Found out after Tosin went to Fulham he had one too, never used it,.odd considering we are quite crap with them.  Anither ToMo bug a boo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

Then “show me” a bit more positivity whilst we are on such a good run of form.

Last 3 games was my concern.  Positivity, watching this lot 50 odd years? Rovers beat that out of me many years ago.  Ask Jim.

• Like 3

Massive, massive win especially with Bournemouth slipping up.

It was apoplectic during the last 10 mins with the lack of nouce of Gallagher but our 3/4 centre halves are so good they made it all look very easy so I needed not of worried...although Kaminski's was absolutely top drawer especially with the player immediately in front of him making a swipe at the ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

They did hit the post and missed good chances. Many saved by Kaminski. 

19 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Not the point.

No shit sherlock. 

Not sure why you’re so truculent. It wasn’t meant as an antagonist  reply. But Kaminsky only had to make one (excellent) save and then when they hit the post he had it perfectly covered stood right behind the miss-hit cross.

In the last 5 games only 2 teams have scored more than us so scoring isn’t a worrying problem at the moment . We ain’t going to bang 3 in every game, but if we now also have the ability to nick a goal and defend it in games where we aren’t playing well then that’s a huge positive. Not a negative. 

They did play poorly going forward today. But they defended extremely well and were certainly not ‘flukey’ to hang on to that lead.

• Like 4

Wasn't great but yet again we get the job done.

To be honest, and it's not really making excuses but the awful return to an empty stadium didn't help the game at all. Like so many of them during those days it was a bit flat. Hope to hell we never go back to that in England I'd forgotten how rotten it was.

I expect a much livelier affair on Wednesday and I hope to hell we punish them for the ridiculous postponement, hopefully justice will prevail.

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Last 3 games was my concern.  Positivity, watching this lot 50 odd years? Rovers beat that out of me many years ago.  Ask Jim.

I know where you are coming from, myself going through the mill for 60 years now. However, you have to wipe the slate clean at the end of every season and live in hope that the next one will be “the one”. If I hadn’t had that mentality, I would have been sectioned years ago. 

• Like 5

Form and confidence in players and teams will ebb and flow over the course of a season. What must remain consistent to achieve promotion is effort and organization. We haven’t been at our best for the last few weeks, but we’ve kept up the effort and organization. Form will return soon enough 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I see Bell had a long throw, did he ever use it here. I don't remember seeing it. Found out after Tosin went to Fulham he had one too, never used it,.odd considering we are quite crap with them.  Anither ToMo bug a boo.

Yeh we are crap at throw ins in general and have been for years. But it's mostly down to poor movement. When the opposition have them, we give them too much space (less so recently) and when we have them nobody gets into space. It's why it takes Nyambe 5 days to take a throw in.

• Like 3

Can't comment on the game, as all I saw was Gateway 504 error. A good win, nonetheless.

The  refund is all well and good, but an explanation would help to soften the blow from my Saturday being ruined. I wonder if the same will happen on Wednesday? makes me wary of paying in advance.