BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff (a) - 15/1/22 - 12.30pm kick off

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thought Edun had a good game, he’s a really good footballer, just think he’s having to play out of position at the moment 

Agreed and that right back they’ve signed from leeds is a good player. Bielsa didn’t want to let him out and I thought he did a good job on him.

A poor performance but 3 points. What a difference a solid defence makes. I never felt they would score even with 10 men. Aimless balls into the box, hoping for a lucky bounce. Where did it go wrong for Cardiff. 

On a side note, will we see Nymabe in a Rovers shirt again? I think he'll be gone by Jan 31st. All about Zeefuik now who I think will be a step up (even though I think Nymabe is a very good player).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thought Edun had a good game, he’s a really good footballer, just think he’s having to play out of position at the moment 

I think some people have a downer on him already tbh. Think he will have to play out of his skin to win some of them over. A lot of confirmation bias from Rovers fans I've noticed (I'm sure I'm guilty of it on occasion too, though I try not to be). If they think a player is class they forgive the mistakes, if they think he's shite they ignore the moments of quality.

• Like 1

Great result that they are the types that keep you in the mix.

Didn't get much together going forwards but defensively all over the park outstanding.

Tommy K MOM for me just for the commanding of his box, how long since we've seen a keeper do that ?  Needed him on form but really they never threatened that much despite the possession.

A proper win i'd call that.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Look at the stats and tell me that wasnt flukey or against the run of play. 

It was against the run of play posession-wise but I wouldn’t say flukey. I would if they were hitting the post and missing good chances but not in how the game panned out.

We had some good situations before we went 1 up and I thought we were the better side up until the goal. Then we sat back and miserably failed in trying to hit them on the break.

Those tactics might not have worked for us offensively, but when you have a defence that have conceded just 3 goals in the last 10 league games then you know if you get in front you can hold the lead (whoever thought we would say that about Tony’s Rovers).  Therefore to concede a lot of possession once in front and not be an attacking force but comfortably hang on isn’t flukey.  Weirdly, I never felt like we were going to concede there, where previously you just sat there waiting for it to happen.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

QPR fast becoming a problem. If they win their spare game they're only 2 behind us. Need them to have a wobble because we can't keep winning every week.

They certainly can’t keep scoring last minute winners every week, I’ve lost count of how many that is now.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

If we win 1-0 absolutely Tyrone, its all about points now, I don't care how we get them.

I’m thrilled with the win and the three points but we need to be able to put two passes together again.  That was like one of the games in our death spirals apart from the result. We looked like we’d walked it to Cardiff.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

They certainly can’t keep scoring last minute winners every week, I’ve lost count of how many that is now.

Yeh I did consider after posting that they can't keep winning either. Didn't realise how many were late ones though.

Problem is I look at their next run of games and their current form and it all looks perfectly winnable. Maybe they're looking at ours thinking the same.

I want to see us start putting more daylight between teams just below us though, and particularly between us and 7th. Could really do to build that gap whilst we're in form, because almost nobody stays in form all season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m thrilled with the win and the three points but we need to be able to put two passes together again.  That was like one of the games in our death spirals apart from the result. We looked like we’d walked it to Cardiff.

We are performing beyond anyone's expectations, don't over think it Tyrone, its all about the points.

Look at Kennys side in 92, we couldn't buy a win after Christmas, playing awful, nobody cared after 90minutes at Wembley.

We can't play like Brazil every week. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

Saw a lot of it.

Rovers weren’t at their best. We didn’t have enough quality possession at any point. Our passing through the side was not good enough. As a result we created very little.  I think that fair.

On the upside defensively we were very good. I’ve never been a fan of three centre halves, but it’s working well for us. With the two full backs it’s making a solid back line. Teams are struggling to get behind us or through us. Teams end up putting crosses in from deeper areas and those three lads in the middle just win everything in the air. With our ability to break quickly it’s quite a potent combination. Not brilliant football but effective football. A huge improvement on what we’ve seen for years now.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But the result is far more important than the performance. You can’t say that this looks like a death spiral apart from the small difference that we’re winning all the time.

We have repeatedly shown that we can play better but today was another example of how difficult we are to beat which is a massive change to last season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bollocks to that we have to aim to win every game and try and crack the top two.

I think it's unlikely we'll get automatic but you never know and if we fall just short then the play offs will have to do.

You can say bollocks to that and that’s fine but we’ve been guilty in seasons gone by of not managing games and being pragmatic.

Today it became clear as the game went on and on that we needed to sit tight and see it out. Rovers of years past would’ve pushed and pushed for the second and probably conceded at least one, if not two.

Clean sheets has to be the focus. Lovely to win today but for me you have to just focus on maintaining draws away and wins at home.

20 games left. 10 wins 10 draws takes us to 89 points. Perfect.

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

We are performing beyond anyone's expectations, don't over think it Tyrone, its all about the points.

Look at Kennys side in 92, we couldn't buy a win after Christmas, playing awful, nobody cared after 90minutes at Wembley.

We can't play like Brazil every week. 

Get your point, but not quite true, it was only late February that the wheels came off, from memory we hadn’t even reached top until winning a load of games in January.

Edited by Mattyblue