BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

@roversfan99, have you heard the comments by JDT that he will have final say on transfer and if he says no then that player won't be sign? You now happy that players won't be force on him? 

Broughton has confirmed that Lenihan will go. Pleased that Broughton will speak Ben Brereton and his reps next week. 

Also pleased that we can spend money on players in the coming season and have healthy budget to spend and the budget is based on selling Brereton Diaz. He says his focus now will be on player recruitment. He also says they will look inside the club first before going external. 

Looking forward to seeing who we sign this summer. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

@roversfan99, have you heard the comments by JDT that he will have final say on transfer and if he says no then that player won't be sign? You now happy that players won't be force on him? 

Broughton has confirmed that Lenihan will go. Pleased that Broughton will speak Ben Brereton and his reps next week. 

Also pleased that we can spend money on players in the coming season and have healthy budget to spend and the budget is based on selling Brereton Diaz. He says his focus now will be on player recruitment. He also says they will look inside the club first before going external. 

Looking forward to seeing who we sign this summer. 

You clearly didnt understand my point. I was saying in general and not specific to Rovers, that this type of structure creates a risk of players being put upon the manager that he doesnt particularly want.

Just because that agreement is in place now doesnt mean that there isnt potential for it to cause conflict down the line, I am sure that everytime a director of football is appointed that he and the manager discuss how the arrangement will work but that doesnt always get maintained. There still is a chance whether its in this window or perhaps down the line that they will disagree on players and even that a player will be given to Tomasson without prior consultation.

Im not saying that it will happen by any means, my point was that this structure carries this particular risk, irrespective of initial meetings. That point still stands.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You clearly didnt understand my point. I was saying in general and not specific to Rovers, that this type of structure creates a risk of players being put upon the manager that he doesnt particularly want.

Just because that agreement is in place now doesnt mean that there isnt potential for it to cause conflict down the line, I am sure that everytime a director of football is appointed that he and the manager discuss how the arrangement will work but that doesnt always get maintained. There still is a chance whether its in this window or perhaps down the line that they will disagree on players and even that a player will be given to Tomasson without prior consultation.

Im not saying that it will happen by any means, my point was that this structure carries this particular risk, irrespective of initial meetings. That point still stands.

to be honest I think you are just looking for a negative/problem that doesn't exist at the club. 

I don't see Broughton forcing players on JDT at all. 

Its a new start and we now have a proper footballing structure in place with DoF and Head Coach. 

Exciting times ahead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

to be honest I think you are just looking for a negative/problem that doesn't exist at the club. 

I don't see Broughton forcing players on JDT at all. 

Its a new start and we now have a proper footballing structure in place with DoF and Head Coach. 

Exciting times ahead. 

Ah yes, your standard argument, "stop being negative."

I never said it will happen here, I can't make that clear enough.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Broughton said in his interview that both would have to agree. Him forcing a player on the coach would never end well (direct quote).

Of course you point is valid that there can be disagreement along the way. I think the new setup is better and what most top clubs do. You need some consistency in players trading, rather than having to change the whole squad when you change manager because the new manager prefers another style and types of players.

Broughton would know from Bodo/Glimt because they have been very consistent from coach, player trading, formation and style over many years. This have been the reason for their success and overperforming. Even losing having half their first team each season to better clubs, they have been able to replace and adapt.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

Broughton said in his interview that both would have to agree. Him forcing a player on the coach would never end well (direct quote).

Of course you point is valid that there can be disagreement along the way. I think the new setup is better and what most top clubs do. You need some consistency in players trading, rather than having to change the whole squad when you change manager because the new manager prefers another style and types of players.

Broughton would know from Bodo/Glimt because they have been very consistent from coach, player trading, formation and style over many years. This have been the reason for their success and overperforming. Even losing having half their first team each season to better clubs, they have been able to replace and adapt.

There are pros and cons to each system I suppose. A traditional manager has less time to focus on coaching with all the other things that fall under his remit but the lack of that second figurehead removes that potential conflict. Ultimately, success or failure can be achieved via both methods.

To refuse to acknowledge that down the line that there can be conflict as chaddy did armed with the usual standard quotes post appointment seems very naive to me. My comments were very generalised and I certainly can not sit here and say now that there will (or wont be) conflict at Rovers between the 2, but that risk exists.

Did I read that there were rumours that the director of football had a bad relationship with the last manager that worked under him?

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How I’d expect it to work is  - JDT tells Broughton we need a new right back, “ see what you can find “.

Broughton has a look around , finds three likely candidates, and the two of them make a joint decision on who it should be.

If all goes well which fingers crossed will happen here. Although its coming to a joint decision that can provoke that conflict.

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How I’d expect it to work is  - JDT tells Broughton we need a new right back, “ see what you can find “.

Broughton has a look around , finds three likely candidates, and the two of them make a joint decision on who it should be.

Exactly the way I think it will work. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To refuse to acknowledge that down the line that there can be conflict as chaddy did armed with the usual standard quotes post appointment seems very naive to me. My comments were very generalised and I certainly can not sit here and say now that there will (or wont be) conflict at Rovers between the 2, but that risk exists.

It might happen in future years but at the minute it's wont. Broughton and JDT seems very together and both agree on the plan going forward. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Kind of like a manager and a head scout then.

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Kind of like a manager and a head scout then.

More you would say a conduit between the head scout manager communicates what he needs relays the message and dof works with scouting team to sign a player who fits the remit allowing the manager to focus on coaching the team. I think for most clubs gone are the days where the manager does all the leg work.

Edited by Beanie01289

1 hour ago, booth said:

Did he really say "healthy" budget?

Yes.

“Yes there is money available on transfer fees, we have a healthy budget, within the same wage budget we had last year, and we are really looking forward to bringing in players to supplement the great group of players that we’ve got.”

However, the caveats should be noted; he says we should look 'inwardly before externally', and 'we have a healthy budget, within the same wage budget we had last year'.

So our budget is probably only boosted by departures this summer. He also says "The Championship is an enormously unequal playing field because of the parachute payment" so we have that old chestnut TM used to cultivate. But he still describes our budget as 'very competitive in the league' outside those clubs.

It really seems we will assess our youth options before making too many moves in the market though:

“We have to recruit well, make sure it starts off by looking internally. I’ve worked at clubs before where you can have this sexy new player from outside and everyone is excited by that, but there could be a player inside the club who you know what he can do, know any character flaws he has and what character strengths he has and that player can often get overlooked.

“We always start recruitment by looking internally and look externally outside of that.”

Whilst a focus on internal prospects can be very good long term, my hope is we don't paralyse our activity for a few weeks with this period of internal analysis. Since they've only just got here, I shouldn't think they'll be able to decide too quickly which recruitment needs can be ignored in favour of youth players.

There are a few echoes of previous transfer market speak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

First signing: Malmö's star left back 😉 😉 😉

Hope not! He was pretty average and a real sick note in his prime, now in his mid 30s! What could he really offer? May as well bring MGP back as well before he retires 🙃

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

I can't help but feel like Lenihan has rushed his final decision. All the noises coming out the club were that he was happy with the salary on offer, but wanted to see who the new manager would be, before committing to a new deal. 

The amount of time he did wait to sign a deal, one more week, surely couldn't have hurt. Its going to be a horrible commute for him now.

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I can't help but feel like Lenihan has rushed his final decision. All the noises coming out the club were that he was happy with the salary on offer, but wanted to see who the new manager would be, before committing to a new deal. 

The amount of time he did wait to sign a deal, one more week, surely couldn't have hurt. Its going to be a horrible commute for him now.

From his own POV though, he's gone to work for a manager who's wanted him for at least 3 years. A safer bet (thinking of one's own wages) than waiting around to see if the new guy likes him.

• Like 1

For me, the first thing we need to address is we have no real leaders in the squad apart from maybe Ayala, but he's always injured. I'd be looking to bring in a couple of tough, experienced older pros who've been around the block to help our young lads.

8 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

For me, the first thing we need to address is we have no real leaders in the squad apart from maybe Ayala, but he's always injured. I'd be looking to bring in a couple of tough, experienced older pros who've been around the block to help our young lads.

We've had that before - Bradley Johnson and it was awful 

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

He's gone to play for an excellent manager who has chased him for years.

Fair play to him.

46 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

I thought Travis should have been captain last season. I've never thought of Lenihan as a leader, just the most senior pro.

We'll see what JDT makes of the squad in pre-season - he might even bring in his own captain.

• Like 1