BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

14 hours ago, rigger said:

Not a hope in hell will Saadi make our first team

He doesn't have to - they clearly want to keep the U23 (or U21?) team strong.

If he's a decent contributor at that level then there's no harm in extending his contract to provide depth / options at that level. He won't be on good money.

Comparisons to the Brentford model simply don't stack up on 3 counts.

1) The people running Brentford are experts in their field and also in European markets, particularly Denmark and Holland. They have been able to unearth talent from there and the lower leagues with remarkable success more than pretty much any other club. We've had Waggott and Mowbray for the last 5 years. HOPEFULLY that is to start to change with the new structure but think there is more to it than just employing people who have worked in those European leagues before. They need to be good at it, need to be able to get on with it and need to be financially backed to do so. If not it is a waste of our time.

2) Brentford were on top of their contracts. Case in point being leading man Ollie Watkins, who was signed up to a 5 year deal once they realised he was banging goals in the Championship and becoming hot property. This deal secured them a £30 million transfer fee from Aston Villa. Compare to us who have ended up with relative peanuts for Armstrong, Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe, not to mention Raya, and will now be forced to sell BBD at a relatively low price too.

3) Brentford reinvested the proceeds of their sales. No sooner was Watkins out the door to Villa that they went out and got Ivan Toney for £5-10 million on a 5 year deal.

• Like 5

As GB stated, JDT needs a bit of time to recognise and identify who we need (some already are apparently) I think once this happens it will all be done relatively quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if things are happening behind closed doors as i speak, even as soon as end of next week

No point in going out buying players willy nilly. 

Edited by pomster

58 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

I think to counter question is 'when was the right time to sell them'. Mid season whilst pushing for a play off place?

Tough choice, money or being competitive.

My understanding is that we tried to get them to sign new contracts way back but they refused. We knew pretty much all season they were going so when was the right time.

One route forward is to throw money at the problem but what does life look like without a wage structure? Tough choices to make.

I'm minded of that comment that came from a White House advisor (at least that's where I first heard it), for every difficult question there is always one simple, easily understood, obvious wrong answer. I'm no champion of the Rovers board but sometimes crap happens in triplicate.

The king/s are dead, long live the king/s. Time to move on.

The right thing to do would have been to offer them new contracts which reflected their ability before their old one ran out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pomster said:

As GB stated, JDT needs a bit of time to recognise and identify who we need (some already are apparently) I think once this happens it will all be done relatively quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if its as soon as end of next week

No point in going out buying players willy nilly. 

Name me one thing that gets done relatively quickly at Rovers ?

Well the say it is the end of the era it has never been a truer sentence than seeing the shuffle in backroom staff and personnel. Of course it is disappointing to see key players of value leave for free especially when you hear the figures being quoted for Rothwell of around 4M makes you think in better circumstances we probably would have gotten 3m for Lenihan and 1.5/2m for Nyambe. All of these will effect the bottom line finance situation especially when it comes to FFP (Which as a concept i feel needs to be modernized as in its current form to me it doesn't make much sense for clubs who wish to be more ambitious).

Where does this leave us well with quite significant rebuild. However, I see this more as a rebuild financially than from the squad itself. With a lot of the bigger wages off the books Rovers will have funds, however, I do feel there are two big moves we need to make to re-address out situation. Number 1) to sell Diaz and 2) sell Ayala. From there we have a few good opportunities on the loan and freebie market we need to take advantage of. Yes we lost Nyambe, but JRC and Brown can play there and were okay (not seing they are the permanent replacement for that position. Yes Rothwell will be missed but Dack is back and i would take Dack any day over Rothwell, and yes we loss Lenihan, however, Wharton has now had a full season under his belt in the championship and Carter coming through after glowing reviews from League One. by no means does it say we will be as strong but by no means does it mean the rebuild from a squad perspective is as big as everyone thinks. The key issue would be should Diaz go who will contribute to the goals? Well that is where JDT and the new DOF need to use their network from Cantwell to Botheim there are option out there. Some to really be excited about! Myself i would actually stay clear of Cantwell his attitude worries me and would not suit Rovers if he comes with an Ego. Would rather a Rudoni. Needless to say the next few weeks will be vital. I think Rovers will go about their business discreetly but one thing for sure there is clear excitment and a b uzz around the club 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Name me one thing that gets done relatively quickly at Rovers ?

Under normal circumstances ( if their is any with the chokers) i would totally agree.
But, at present i think we would struggle to bring out a team we could be comfortable with. So it will have too

I envisage the usual transfer window to which we have become accustomed. We will have interest in players but will be slow out of the blocks and be usurped by other clubs. A lot of this will be because of the dysfunctional chain of command. We will wait until deadline day, panic and make a plethora of random signings more in an effort to boost the numbers than to improve the quality. 

And, perhaps more importantly we will have played seven games by then which will more than likely shape our season.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Martin Braithwaite from Barcelona would be a good signing.  He's worked with jdt with the Denmark team 

Barcelona would be paying nearly all of his wages to facilitate that.

Cannot see that happening at all with their money troubles….

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

No matter what we think of the three of them, personally I think there a good chance JDT wouldn’t have fancied any of them, and pretty much a certainty he’d never heard of any of them before signing. I bet he isn’t losing much sleep over it.

Well he’s got the chance to replace them now. Let’s see how he goes on.

• Like 1

We essentially do not have anything close to resembling a defence right now, Lenihan and Nyambe (when he played) were the backbone of what was already a shaky at times backline. We're a month from the season starting and not only do we need 2-3 high quality defenders brought in but also soon enough so they can begin gelling - anything less than that and we will be losing game after game, there is absolutely no way around that. 

The huge worry is that if we don't even have the funds to be offering acceptable wages to Championship-quality defenders then who realistically are we going to get? Inexpensive hopefuls, but again we need solid first team starters, not just some wait and see youngsters.

GB will need to have a bag of super contacts to sort us out or I really think we will be in serious trouble.

• Like 2