BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

I'm not ITK, nor do I claim to be - but I was told this morning that Lenihan was on 12k here.  To sign a new deal he wanted an increase of 3k, up to 15 - that was refused.   I was astonished, but don't have much reason to doubt the source.  I'm sure plenty will quickly shoot me down here, happy to be proven wrong if anyone has the figures...

I was told that he was offered more in the region of 22k - I really can't reveal who told me this, but I will say that this person is undoubtedly very much ITK... the evidence could literally be found within a minute.

Edited by TheRevAshton

Just now, TheRevAshton said:

I was told that he was offered more in the region of 22k - I really can't reveal who told me this, but I will say that this person is undoubtedly very much ITK.

This in my mind was the kind of figures I'd be expecting.  So, hey, might be a load of tosh.  As I say, I was flabbergasted.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

JRC is diabolical.

57 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Agreed on JRC

Totally disagree. IMO, JRC is a good player. Since his bad injury he has struggled to find his previous form but still a good player.

And, No!, I'm not a relative of his. Never met the guy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

I mean, to me it didn't sound right.  It sounds ridiculously not-right.  Person who told me said, guess what he wanted to increase to... I guessed 18k, thinking that was perhaps a bit low.  15K 😐😐  I don't suppose we'll ever truly know unless someone asks Waggott, Mowbray or Lenihan directly. And even then,  I wouldn't expect SW to divulge, especially if it was indeed such a modest request!

I'm Irish and I have it from someone who knows Lenihen personally the last contract offer that was made would have made Lenihen the highest paid player at the club.

22 grand a week .At that point his mind was made up to join Wilder at Boro.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

BBD is going to be sold almost certainly I'd say.  IMO its been a disastrous off season to date.

Yeah I'd say so. But with the same amount of certainty, I'm sure we'll make signings in a few key positions before the window closes.

The new set up were always going to be up against it straight away. The club never seem to act fast during the transfer window, whether that be due to ineptitude or poor internal structures. The recruitment process to bring them in took far too long, considering it would've been known that Mowbray was going. Plus GB & JDT have only really got a good look at the current squad last week and have had to reshape previous transfer target lists.

It doesn't look good at the moment, but it was always going to take time for them to make changes. As they both said when they arrived, it's going to take a bit of patience. 

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

Totally disagree. IMO, JRC is a good player. Since his bad injury he has struggled to find his previous form but still a good player.

The thing is, JRC's form before his injury , matters not a jot. All that matters is his form now.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

I mean, to me it didn't sound right.  It sounds ridiculously not-right.  Person who told me said, guess what he wanted to increase to... I guessed 18k, thinking that was perhaps a bit low.  15K 😐😐  I don't suppose we'll ever truly know unless someone asks Waggott, Mowbray or Lenihan directly. And even then,  I wouldn't expect SW to divulge, especially if it was indeed such a modest request!

I think it became clear quite a long time ago that wage increases and as a result contract extensions were 'off the table' for a significant duration, running through the pandemic and it seems efforts and intentions on that only really changed during last season when 'normality' had resumed. Thankfully they managed to sort out the Kaminski and Travis situations in good time but I firmly believe that the Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell situations could all have been avoided had Rovers dealt with them promptly. Instead they were left to reach the last year of their deals and probably treated shoddily (who hasn't been?).

Then you get a rival Championship club offering at least as much if not more, making them feel wanted, getting back to them quickly, and showing ambition rather than making excuses every transfer window, and I don't blame them one jot.

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Waggott's mouth and certainly not on the subject of finances and contract extensions. Perhaps the most surprising thing to me is that so many Rovers fans are seemingly happy to accept what he has to say.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bazza said:

There's a player in there somewhere, but you have to find a position for him that doesn't rely on athleticism because he simply doesn't have enough to be a modern professional footballer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bazza said:

He isn't a RB/WB he might have a place somewhere else and impress but he is diabolical in that position 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm Irish and I have it from someone who knows Lenihen personally the last contract offer that was made would have made Lenihen the highest paid player at the club.

22 grand a week .At that point his mind was made up to join Wilder at Boro.

Lets remember that Wilder only joined Middlesbrough in November last year.

So the problem of course is that Lenihan should have been sorted well before then, last summer at the latest, and if so no amount of talking from Wilder would have weakened our position.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So the problem of course is that Lenihan should have been sorted well before then, last summer at the latest, and if so no amount of talking from Wilder would have weakened our position.

Agreed and Lenihen told the fella That told me that if our offer had been as high earlier he would have signed the contract with us. 

He liked the area and does care about the club 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah and as it stands those 4 clubs and a few others have worse squads than Ours in my opinion.

Sure all this was being said last summer too, that we would go down with the squad we had.

Second half of last season we were probably the worst team in the league  Bottom of the form table. We have since lost a number of key players.

There is a hell of a lot of work to do and needs to be done quickly.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Second half of last season we were probably the worst team in the league  Bottom of the form table. We have since lost a number of key players.

There is a hell of a lot of work to do and needs to be done quickly.

Throughout Mowbrays reign second half of season has always been a problem for us with the exception of the league one season.

People work his yearly tactics out and then he is too stubborn to move away from them.

A lot of those results second half of last season were due to it.Everyone could see Giles was ineffective right side of a 3 but Mowbray knew better.

Both Buckley and Rothwell were going through poor form and not once did he try playing Buckley beside Trav and Rothwell further forward.

I'm not saying everything is rosy and of course I want new additions it's just my opinion that things ain't as bad as some are making out.

And I will stand by what I said earlier that there are 5 or 6 teams in worse shape than us 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I agree that some people are jumping the gun, but the JDT out one was quite clearly taking the piss….

I might have agreed with you but then I saw the 'JDT out' comment was made by SparksRover so I don't think it's as clear as you suggest...

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Both him and Naymbe had 5 years of listening to Tm go on about the great club that Middlesbrough is. No wonder they jumped at the chance to go 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds about right.

More fool us. 3k a week increase for 4 years is an extra cost to the club of what, about £600k cost if he sees it through?

Pats on the back for sticking to the 'wage structure' though.

Bet Wilder and Middlesbrough couldn't believe their luck

Clubs that get promoted from this division are not hamstrung by a wage structures such as ours, I know thats not your main point and most probably said in jest JH.

The lack of transfers (or even rumours) is certainly frustrating but I think we have to remain patient. It's going to take a bit of time for GB to put his stamp on the recruitment side. Ideally we should be identifying targets/making moves earlier but embedding the sort of processes required to do this well will take time. It's going to take 2 or 3 windows for JDT to assemble the squad he wants so I think panic buying at this stage (just to get bodies in) would be foolish, especially when funds are limited. I see this coming season as a transition so I'm happy if we make a couple of buys in key areas and then use younger lads and loans to fill out the rest of the squad.

Edited by Norn Iron Rover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's all about opinions, so here goes. The underlying reason is experience.

Hourihane - A step above anybody we have in that area, for me. Has the creativity and experience, class player. A steal on a free and to let a player like him go to Derby in their current state is galling.

Mendez-Laing - A proper winger, strong, quick and an upgrade on Dolan. Can also play on the left too. Has done it in the Championship before and even looked decent in the Premier League, scoring at OT one time. Nothing against Dolan, but NML would have been an experienced upgrade.

Barkhuizen - Showed during his time at Preston that he was a good player. Knows the league and can play out wide and down the middle. We could do worse on a free.

James Chester - experienced centre back, on a par with Lenihan in terms of ability, imo. I'd certainly have Chester ahead of Carter, Phillips, Magloire or any other kid we want to throw in.

McGoldrick - Wily, clever forward at this level and scores goals in this league. Good hold up play too. Might not start every game but would be good to have around and we'd actually have a central striker when he's on the pitch. Him or Burns/Vale? It's not even a question, for me.

Might be a very unpopular opinion, but I think Burns and Vale are more likely to be the next Butterworth and McBride, than the next Armstrong and Brereton. Give them a chance to see what they can do, fine, but I'm not expecting much.

I fear we're over egging how good some of these kids are and the reality of the Championship will slap us in the face if we don't bring some established players in. It's an unforgiving league and we're in danger of being lost in romanticism. We've lost key players, the loanees have gone, the squad is in a right state and if we don't bring in the required quality I think some will be shocked by how poor we look.

A backline of Brown (or JRC), Carter, Wharton, Pickering will take us down!

There is no criticism labelled at JDT or Broughton here. It's the bastards above them. Trying to flog us a youth project because they don't want to spend. "We're going to develop the kids", just bloody come out and say "we won't be spending much".

I hate that the positivity and enthusiasm that Broughton and JDT brought with them is being drained away due to the same old, dithering crap from people above them who don't know what they are doing.

Agree completely on relying on youth too quickly. If a player hasn't played senior football yet, you can't rely on them to be good enough straight away. You might get lucky with one or two, but then again look at how long it took Buckley to show his talent.

I disagree on the players you talk about though. There's a real art to picking up players when they're past their best. It's much easier to pick up a Danny Murphy than it is a Gordan Cowans. 

Taking them one by one:

McGoldrick - Never really been prolific even in this league. Had serious injuries, turns 35 before Christmas. 

James Chester - Had an excellent career at this level but Stoke fans thought he was a liability last year. A big downgrade on Lenihan in my view. 

Barkhuizen - Again, never been prolific if you're playing him as a forward. Like his attitude, but apparently has lost all of his pace. Average.

Hourihane - This one is a bit more intriguing to be fair, I'd have been happy enough taking a chance on him.

Mendez-Laing - don't know what his form in L1 has been like, but has an absolutely stinking attitude by all accounts. 

Experience is a real positive it goes hand-in-hand with hunger and fitness, so they all could turn out to be v. good signings for Derby for that reason. I think there's a reason that they signed for a L1 club though - if Rovers had signed any of them bar Hourihane I'd see it as panicking. 

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Throughout Mowbrays reign second half of season has always been a problem for us with the exception of the league one season.

People work his yearly tactics out and then he is too stubborn to move away from them.

A lot of those results second half of last season were due to it.Everyone could see Giles was ineffective right side of a 3 but Mowbray knew better.

Both Buckley and Rothwell were going through poor form and not once did he try playing Buckley beside Trav and Rothwell further forward.

I'm not saying everything is rosy and of course I want new additions it's just my opinion that things ain't as bad as some are making out.

And I will stand by what I said earlier that there are 5 or 6 teams in worse shape than us 

Roth well quit when the transfer to Bournemouth was blocked. He’s never going to admit it, but it was obvious. BBD and Khadra injuries left us without any quality up front and between Zeefuik and Naymbe there was rarely a fit RB. Markanday lasted all of 5 min While TM tactics were shite, we also had a run of injuries that hurt the 2nd half results. We were relying of Lenihan, Ayala and JRC to get the games best chances. What it shows is what we all knew, the depth wasn’t there. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

There will be players available within our price range or on loan that won't be too far away from Nyambe and Lenihen in terms of quality.

Personally, I would’ve ‘stuck’ and not taken the gamble, (providing their expectations were reasonable ).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Norn Iron Rover said:

The lack of transfers (or even rumours) is certainly frustrating but I think we have to remain patient. It's going to take a bit of time for GB to put his stamp on the recruitment side. Ideally we should be identifying targets/making moves earlier but embedding the sort of processes required to do this well will take time. It's going to take 2 or 3 windows for JDT to assemble the squad he wants so I think panic buying at this stage (just to get bodies in) would be foolish, especially when funds are limited. I see this coming season as a transition so I'm happy if we make a couple of buys in key areas and the use younger lads and loans to fill out the rest of the squad.

The thing is - in football time is limited.

Decisions are needed to be made quickly and effectively.

Key traits of high performing teams and environments

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Totally agree but in order to make decisions quickly and effectively you need to have good quality information to inform those decisions. It seems that (if they are ripping up Park's list and starting from scratch) then the info, and therefore the processes they use to gather the info, are not up to GB/JDT's standards. That in itself gives me cause for a bit of optimism that standards will hopefully be raised.

• Like 2

It’s not so much the lack of rumours, purely the lack of signings so far that’s annoying.

If we’re dipping into European markets, it’s no wonder things are being kept under wraps. Not many UK journalists (who have any interest in rovers) have any links to Scandinavian countries. Nixon certainly doesn’t. 

Proof will be in the pudding come our first lineup of the season I guess!

12 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Our transfer business is much like the managerial appointment, laboured, pedestrian and eventually desperate. 

We are now waiting for other clubs with bigger budgets to do there bidding and see whats left.

I remember Mowbray having the same predicament last season, his "A" targets went, his "B" targets went and he had to make do with "C"  list, which actually turned out to be much better than anyone expected.