BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't need pointless interviews from Broughton, I'm not interested in knowing what his inside leg measurent is.

We do however need results from him in the form of some inspired recruitment. Which obviously hasn't happened yet.

The question is why haven’t we signed anyone yet. You’re not interested in knowing why, or do you not expect an honest reply?

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't need pointless interviews from Broughton, I'm not interested in knowing what his inside leg measurent is.

We do however need results from him in the form of some inspired recruitment. Which obviously hasn't happened yet.

Wasn't Broughton behind us getting JDT. Pretty inspired in my eyes, and a good start. Broughton has credit, as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Actions speak louder than words.

I'm sick of hearing things from jokers like Waggott that then don't happen and probably never were going to.

As it stands Broughton has failed, dress it up with whatever excuses you like but 0 signings to a squad that needs several less than 2 weeks before kick off is failure.

He can still turn it around and recruit well this window but that's ifs or buts.

We all hoped his arrival was the start of a bright new era but looks like another false dawn as it stands. Another one who talks a good game but can't do the job properly, either because he's not up to it or because his bosses won't let him.

• Like 6

Way too much wailing & gnashing of teeth on here re Broughton & lack of signings to date, in my opinion. Of course I wish we'd made some by now, but it's essentially been 3 weeks since JDT did his 1st day of training, & 4 weeks since he & GB could've had any first meaningful conversation about what we might need in what positions, with what budget. Give them a chance!!

Some will point to Burnley as an example of how we could've moved quicker, but in comparison to us they've got money to burn from sales, and Kompany has been in line for the job since Dyche got binned off, with plenty of time to plan ahead & assess the squad before being appointed. 

I agree the club should've moved quicker for TM's replacement, but that's hardly the fault of GB or JDT.

The window has 7 weeks to go, plenty of time to get key bodies in, as perms or loans. I know that's 7 games into the season, but that wouldn't mean the end of our season. Remember, Forest were bottom in late October last season yet they went up, almost automatically

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 1

We have never managed to get into the top 6 in over 10 years even in years without the additional provision of downplaying the importance of the first 7 games. Obviously it wouldnt be terminal but it would be a huge dent in any aspirations should we start slowly.

A lof of focus is now on Broughton, with Tomasson not yet receiving any criticism because he is not seemingly the key in terms of recruitment and also because of the good feeling following his appointment. Many in the past have been blamed heavily including Waggott and Mowbray like Broughton is starting to now and I certainly would say that they all will have warranted criticism to an extent but the underpinning reason for the constant snails pace decision making lies in India.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm sick of hearing things from jokers like Waggott that then don't happen and probably never were going to.

As it stands Broughton has failed, dress it up with whatever excuses you like but 0 signings to a squad that needs several less than 2 weeks before kick off is failure.

He can still turn it around and recruit well this window but that's ifs or buts.

We all hoped his arrival was the start of a bright new era but looks like another false dawn as it stands. Another one who talks a good game but can't do the job properly, either because he's not up to it or because his bosses won't let him.

What has GB actually failed at ? As far as I can see he hasnt because we only have seen rumour and speculation without concrete evidence

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

What has GB actually failed at ? As far as I can see he hasnt because we only have seen rumour and speculation without concrete evidence

He himself said he would update us fans the minute he had had conversations with Nyambe etc.

We've heard sweet FA.

Don't promise the fans something and not deliver on it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Personally, it feels like Broughton is starting to feel the heat.

If it is a case of a lack of sufficient communication from Barry and his assistant, which I suspect it to be, what else can you do? It's either waffle to buy yourself some time or keep your head down.

No more interviews, thank you. (And no more signings either)

Where are you drawing the conclusion from that he is starting to feel the heat? There haven't been any interviews in order to make such a judgement.

52 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

You keep repeating that you don't want any transfer updates from the club. Yet besides coming on here every day, you actively send questions to Nicko and Sharpe on twitter for transfer updates.

Do you want transfer updates or not ?

blimey I tweet Sharpe once about Gus Williams coming in and Nicko once asking if Rovers might be interest in Rhys Williams on loan. That it for over a week. 

What I want is to make the right signings when we make them

52 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

JDT has the final say... not Swag or Suhail or Balaji then. You clearly don't understand how things work at Rovers.

Suggesting mere Rovers fans (except yourself) are too thick to understand the new structure just misses the point.

I don't understand how things then why do you explain it all then? 

You clearly don't understand how the Director of Football/head coach structure works. Its works in English football. 

As a very Anti Mowbray fan who chose not to attend Ewood last season, I’m not too concerned at the lack of transfer activity to date…JDT had to assess his squad…hard pre season , intense fitness work, friendlies …particularly check out Ayala and Dack.

In the coming days ....look to offload Magloire , Butterworth, JRC etc….THEN…..Diaz needs to go soon ..I would rather we waited, as we are , than sign more of the likes of Edun, Pickering etc…IF the Diaz money or some of it were to be used to strengthen the team we are looking in a different pool to that of league 1 ….the next few days are crucial…I’m not patient by nature …but I can take what’s happening…

To be back ( Mowbray free ) for the QPR game will be wonderful, it’s been too long….…I just hope we will get players through the door …currently, we’re not good enough ..but in JDT I have some trust / hope …never written that about a Rovers  manager for 5 years !

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

@K-Hod am I allowed to do a public facepalm at this post?

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People are only asking for communication in the continuing absence of players in the building. You mention no leaks but I would be amazed if anything is close.

Gregg Broughton shouldn't need to give an update or interview at this stage of the transfer window/stage of the window. His focus should be signings players, appointing staff to the recruitment and medical teams at the club. 

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Your comments about the structure are very patronising. A big fear at a club already known for taking ages to make decisions and action them was the additional delays from adding the additional layer of a director of football. I am yet to be convinced that this decision does anything but further slow everything down. The days keep counting down with 13 until the season and nothing has happened.

No my comments was right and not patronising in any way, but people need to understand how the Director of football/head coach structure and actually give it time to work and develop here. People shouldn't be looking for weekly transfer update from Gregg Broughton. Just let them get on with the job and judge after the transfer window ends. 

10 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Exactly. Gregg Broughton appointed Jon Dahl Tomasson. So far I think its been a good appointment. Just need some quality signings now. 

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He himself said he would update us fans the minute he had had conversations with Nyambe etc.

We've heard sweet FA.

Don't promise the fans something and not deliver on it.

Well didn't Waggott update us on Nyambe? 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You clearly don't understand how the Director of Football/head coach structure works. Its works in English football. 

At at an efficient, well run club I’m sure it works very well.

The worry here is that any transfers would still need sanctioning further up the food chain, which would (incredibly) make us even less efficient than before the structure was changed.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well didn't Waggott update us on Nyambe? 

Come on.

Your own question is answering it.

When has Waggott ever done anything?

Every time I read the fans forum minutes it's just Waggott saying "I'll look into it"

What's he actually done?

Tried to sell Brockhall, allegedly backstabbed Mowbray, messed up the recruitment of our manager, cut costs completely, didn't allow us to reinvest any of the Armstrong money. 

Messed up contract renewals, if someone says 3 of our players were being greedy and it's not Waggots fault is kidding themselves.

• Like 3

For all those jumping on posters saying GB shouldn't be / doesn't need to be doing interviews, I'd suggest the manager shouldn't be coming out with quotes such as "I think that’s a question for Gregg." when asked what's happening on transfers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

At at an efficient, well run club I’m sure it works very well.

The worry here is that any transfers would still need sanctioning further up the food chain, which would (incredibly) make us even less efficient than before the structure was changed.

Its does work well at number of clubs whether its Liverpool, Huddersfield or Norwich of 3 examples of this structure working. 

Well if that's your worry fine but I don't have that worry. 

Both GB and JDT were clear when they signed that promotion this season was not the direct aim. Just like it wasn't Jack's aim to win the title in 4 years. If it happens great, but in the longer term they mentioned than about stabilising the club, and making sustainable progress into bein a re-established Premier league club.

Most people on here welcomed that approach, recognising that undoing the damage done in the last decade would take time.  Now, barely a month in, GB in particular is getting pelters for not building Rome in a day, without a long: term recruitment officer!!

I just don't get it; let the man get on with his job quietly & efficiently behind the scenes. He's a doer, his record shows that, so imo he deserves a little faith & patience to let his actions do the talking across 2+ full transfer windows!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Come on.

Your own question is answering it.

When has Waggott ever done anything?

Every time I read the fans forum minutes it's just Waggott saying "I'll look into it"

What's he actually done?

Tried to sell Brockhall, allegedly backstabbed Mowbray, messed up the recruitment of our manager, cut costs completely, didn't allow us to reinvest any of the Armstrong money. 

Messed up contract renewals, if someone says 3 of our players were being greedy and it's not Waggots fault is kidding themselves.

when did Waggott backstabbed Mowbray? 

Didn't the Armstrong money go to meet last season debt? 

Not sure if he messed up the recruitment of our head coach? 

Rothwell was always leaving IMO. Not a fan of Nyambe and given he hasn't got a club yet would suggest maybe he not has good as you think he is. Lenihan, disappointed he didn't sign again but good luck to him there

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Where are you drawing the conclusion from that he is starting to feel the heat? There haven't been any interviews in order to make such a judgement.

Him not doing interviews until after the window closes, might suggest as much. (Said to Sharpe, I think).

I don't think anybody is asking for Broughton to give us weekly updates, I certainly don't expect that.

However, given how enthusiastic he was in that initial interview, our urgent need of signings and the new season drawing ever closer, it's fair to ask that he comes out and addresses our concerns. Even if it's just the once. Tell us where we are at.

I'm a bit concerned that his enthusiasm might have gone already, now that he has realised how much he has on his plate.

Those who are saying "chill, there's no need to panic", I say good luck to you, because that has been this ownership's motto for the past 12 years, and look what state that has reduced the club to. No signings come in and we are going down, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm pretty sure you said a few months ago there relationship went sour due to Waggott not delivering stuff for him or something? 

I think Its was about 16 months ago when Mowbray press conference post Reading game was very strange and hinting that he was going to be replace by a change of manager with a different style. Then several different posters on here were hearing reports/rumours that Mowbray would be replace

2 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Him not doing interviews until after the window closes, might suggest as much. (Said to Sharpe, I think).

I don't think anybody is asking for Broughton to give us weekly updates, I certainly don't expect that.

However, given how enthusiastic he was in that initial interview, our urgent need of signings and the new season drawing ever closer, it's fair to ask that he comes out and addresses our concerns. Even if it's just the once. Tell us where we are at.

I'm a bit concerned that his enthusiasm might have gone already, now that he has realised how much he has on his plate.

Those who are saying "chill, there's no need to panic", I say good luck to you, because that has been this ownership's motto for the past 12 years, and look what state that has reduced the club to. No signings come in and we are going down, IMO.

Or it might suggest he wants to get on with the job without distractions. We would only hear the usual repetitive soundbites anyway. Personally I don't think he should wait until the window closes though, we could do with at least one interview before then to let us know how it has been going generally. I don't see much point in it being right now though. The same calls would only resurface in a week or two and there's clearly not much to say yet. Anything he says will just be branded as excuses, so it's probably the smart move to not do interviews just yet. I'll judge him on incomings not interviews though.

I'm not saying 'chill there's no need to panic' btw, I'm just providing balance. We have plenty of past transfer windows shambles under Venkys to point to, and we are definitely late in the day (again) with no signings in the building. I think a little more leeway should be granted this time for now, due to all the changes we have had in the management structure and personnel, but this is a disappointing start to the window. 'Panic' is almost by definition something it's never beneficial to do. But criticism and concern will be very warranted if players don't start arriving very soon. It won't be unsalvageable still, unless we don't have enough decent players in by the window's close, but the sooner the better.