BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Certainly should be long gone. And yet he is still retained indefinitely! By the owners to whom many of the above failures relate to funding that comes from...

He can talk his way around Venkys but can he pull the wool over the eyes of our Chaddy?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure why the usual suspects, and some who should no better, are gloating about the possibility of Nyambe ending up at Wigan.

If it happens, it will probably be a bit of a disappointment for  the player. However the fact would remain that if it happens Wigan would have a bloody good full back on their hands at Championship level.

We have no-one!

This 'Nothing to be worried about" approach from some posters is getting somewhat grating now. It's almost like they are revelling in the Club's misfortune and our angst. It's the sort of thing you'd say to take the piss out of a Burnley fan  if they'd sold fifteen players and not brought anyone in.

Sure, if we make four stellar signings over the next eleven days to replace Nyambe, Lenihan, JPVH and Rothwell then come back and tell us "We told you so!" as presumably the usual raft of loanees will be coming in last minute regardless.

Until then however............

Until then however, what? Seemingly wallow in moaning on here every day? It obviously deeply matters to you who we have on the books on July 18th, but how good were we looking this day last year? Armstrong was halfway out the door, no one had any idea Brereton would score 20 by Xmas and JPVH was nowhere in sight (plus branded as an untested kid when he rocked up in Sept.)

The Armstrong hole looked a lot bigger a year ago than the Nyambe hole does today imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

We have to consider the contracts we gave out to:

Chapman last season to then loan him out?

The big deal given to Mulgrew, only for us to then decide we dont fancy him any more.

Negotiating does not appear one of our strong points

I suspect that's a big reason why Mowbray and his chums were let go. 

You didn't mention the horrendous deals given to Pears (and transfer fee, reported to be circa £400k), Smallwood and Gladwin. Just money thrown down the drain. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The big deal given to Mulgrew, only for us to then decide we dont fancy him any more.

Holtby, Johnson, downing, Bennett, Armstrong, Douglass, Trybull all also off the books in the last 2 years. Surely the wage bill has to be 50% what it was in 2020/21.  All replaced by academy kids. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Until then however, what? Seemingly wallow in moaning on here every day? It obviously deeply matters to you who we have on the books on July 18th, but how good were we looking this day last year? Armstrong was halfway out the door, no one had any idea Brereton would score 20 by Xmas and JPVH was nowhere in sight (plus branded as an untested kid when he rocked up in Sept.)

The Armstrong hole looked a lot bigger a year ago than the Nyambe hole does today imo.

The equivalent of that this season would be Gallagher scoring 30. I wouldn't say we had lost four such key performers at this stage a year ago either.

Maybe lightning will strike twice but as things stand I'd treat it as exceptionally unlikely.

The one variable in the equation is that at least it isn't Mowbray so that gives room for a good old dollop of blind  optimism I suppose regardless of the recruitment situation, or rather lack thereof.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The equivalent of that this season would be Gallagher scoring 30. I wouldn't say we had lost four such key performers at this stage a year ago either.

Maybe lightning will strike twice but as things stand I'd treat it as exceptionally unlikely.

The one variable in the equation is that at least it isn't Mowbray so that gives room for a good old dollop of blind  optimism I suppose regardless of the recruitment situation, or rather lack thereof.

C’mon Simon, we lost 40 goals last year with Armstrong and Elliott and Bucko was just a lightweight kid who needed a loan, allegedly. 

The biggest reason for optimism in my mind is that whoever we bring in is being brought in because they play the system the manager wants. None of the “needing to learn the way we play” nonsense.

• Like 2

Holtby, Johnson, Downing, Bennett, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Douglas, Chapman, Trybull, Evans, Davenport, Rothwell, Bell, Nyambe, Lenihan, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, Elliott. Pretty sure that was a squad at one point? Largely in addition to the current one! The lack of replacements and investment is alarming.

• Like 6

Lack of investment will eventually only lead one way.

I include not retaining good players or being in a position to sell for the best fee as lack of investment also because that is what a lot of it boils down to.

JDT has a huge task on his hands with this so called project.

3 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Holtby, Johnson, Downing, Bennett, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Douglas, Chapman, Trybull, Evans, Davenport, Rothwell, Bell, Nyambe, Lenihan, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, Elliott. Pretty sure that was a squad at one point? Largely in addition to the current one! The lack of replacements and investment is alarming.

Recon the wages on that group are double our current 1st team. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Throw in Hart, Smallwood, Gladwin, Pears and Hedges. The last two with strong Mowbray connections.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's rather unfair Glen. He has a number of proud achievements on his Rovers CV.

- Probably the first (and last) CEO in the history of the game to raise prices in advance of a season where no- one could attend due to the pandemic.

If you know you will get some sort of support / refund from the government based on lost income, it does in fact make (cynical) sense to raise prices beforehand to claim more of it.

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

But we got £15m for Armstrong John, none of which was reinvested in players. We let three players with an estimated value of £8-10m walk for nothing and we are likely to spend money replacing them. Factor in their wages and it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rigger said:

I got the same replies at the start of last season. A lot of posters were saying we would be in a relegation struggle because we had sold our top scorer. This season the theme is we will be in a relegation struggle because we have lost three reasonable championship level players and two loanees have returned to their club. I don't agree with this theory.

PS. I haven't been out in the sun and I certainly don't partake of Tabs. I couldn't give a fuck if you admire my optimism.

It's a good point. 

I clearly remember the doom laden posts on here last pre- season. Basically we were a shoe-in to go down. Didn't happen and never looked like happening.

The lack of signings so far is definitely disappointing and I'd like to see some activity ASAP but I'm not going to start self- flagellating yet, I'll leave that to the usual suspects.

• Like 3

It is what it is, a convoluted sign off structure and hardly any transfer budget can only lead to the club chasing its tail. So obviously you have to largely rely on loans when the PL clubs decide to let them go (usually late on).

Does this mean relegation? No, because the Championship outside the parachute clubs is much of a muchnesses every season.

But with this model we are performing an annual dice rolling and hoping that year’s loans and academy grads will be up to it - one year they may well not be

• Like 2

The issue is we aren't just trying to replace 3 first teamers who we lost for nothing - a tricky challenge in itself - but also the loss of Armstrong and all the other loanees and squad players we haven't really replaced. Plus potentially Bereton. 

Obviously not every outgoing will need to be replaced but when you keep using a sticky plaster approach sooner or later it's going to cost you. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolute rubbish.

If you were Nyambe would you sign a deal knowing that Lenihan (who is certainly no more vital to the side than yourself) was being offered 2-3 times as much?

Well Nyambe won’t be getting anywhere near that now that’s for sure.

12 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

No he left because he ran down his contract at the advice of his agent 

His agent advised that because the offer wasn't good enough.

Edited by Hasta