BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

£10k a week for a lad that you can play once a week (when we have to double up on fixtures) and can sell for tens of millions in two years?

No brainer. He looked so assured on Sunday.

We’re just speculating that it’s down to money but if it is and we offer £10k then Spurs up their offer to £15k so he still goes. Even if he stayed then he probably leaves on a free in a few years anyway. I just don’t think it’s as cut and dry as people are making out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you really believe dolan is on barely 600 quid a week🤣🤣😂

Not saying those figures are gospel by any means but they give an rough indication of where we stand with our wage structure. And I repeat there will be no way in the world we would be thinking of offering him anything like £10,000. Not even sure where that figures come from unless someone has invented it

Just now, Tugay Et Labore said:

We’re just speculating that it’s down to money but if it is and we offer £10k then Spurs up their offer to £15k so he still goes. Even if he stayed then he probably leaves on a free in a few years anyway. I just don’t think it’s as cut and dry as people are making out.

If it’s just down to money we’ll always be out bid.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

You seem to have given up. I hope Rovers don't.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

Nobody is saying its a bidding war between us and Spurs.  What we need to do is take the bull by the horns, show him he is first in once an injury or suspension happens to Ayala or Wharton and he will be happy with that and 10kpw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

I'm pretty sure that when he left it was widely reported that he was a United fan. Think his Rovers following was due to being a local lad. 

No he is definitely a Rovers fan. His father is / was a big Rovers fan. Linked article from 5 years ago where he confirms himself that he’s Rovers. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thats-football-phil-jones-understands-11105578.amp

I’d be all for this if there is any substance in it. He’s made his money from football now. If he had anything about him, take a big pay cut & enjoy the rest of your football career before it’s over. 

Edited by david brent
  • Like 2

I'd hope and expect given the seriousness of the situation that rapid progress was being made to sign at least one permanent CB.

The transfer window shuts anyway in a little over 2 weeks. It wasn't long ago that Sharpe was suggesting not 1 but 2 CBs were being sought and since then we've lost Barnes and Wharton to injuries which only escalates the urgency. 

That there has been little to no suggestion of any permanent CB being sought, with only links to the Liverpool lad, this makes me wonder why, yet again, we are resorting to 'solving' the CB issue with a loan signing. Why not invest in this position? Ayala will be out of contract this time next year and I suspect is highly unlikely to be renewing, at least not close to his current wages. Question marks too over whether Barnes and Carter are the solution. I'd expect to see steps taken to deal with this yet it seems little is happening.

As for Phil Jones - I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Completely at odds with everything we are supposedly aiming to do here - build a squad for the longer term, develop assets and focus on younger players with good fitness levels. He's had his chance with Rovers.

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Nobody is saying its a bidding war between us and Spurs.  What we need to do is take the bull by the horns, show him he is first in once an injury or suspension happens to Ayala or Wharton and he will be happy with that and 10kpw

That basically means he’ll be a certain starter for most of the season then. He’s just turned 17 and I’m not sure he has enough yet to be a starter week in week out for a team hoping to get in the playoffs. I’d have him as 4th choice at best this season, which then makes it tough to keep hold of him. Paying him 10k, making him a starter this young, having him play instead of a stronger player (especially if we sign van Hecke or Sepp) and pissing off the squad because he’s on more than most of them whilst having played only a couple of games doesn’t feel right to me. It’s a tough one but I’m not sure we can offer that which is why I think realistically holding on will be difficult. It’s gutting, but maybe the pessimist is preparing me for the worst!

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Where’s this talk of Mowbray having £5 Mil of unused budget in January come from? He must be the first manager in history to turn down transfer funds to improve his side! Good grief.

Well he did manage to talk Venky's out of funding a double promotion shot after our league 1 promotion which they wanted to and instead went for a slow a slow build. Also if you chat to Waggott he'll tell you that Mowbray didn't once spend all the transfer budget he was given each window and is one of the reasons why Venky's trusted him.

Venky's gave him the budget in Jan because they want to be Premier League owners again especially after a Indian consortium looked at buying Chelsea as well as another club last year.

• Like 3

Matip is out for two weeks which takes us to the end of the window. Gomez was fit enough to be on the bench and come so the question is whether Liverpool run with just Van Dijk, Phillips and Gomez for the next 2 weeks and let him go soon (critical for us with Wharton and Carter out) or if they keep him with Matip and Konate out.

Screenshot_20220816-001407_Twitter.jpg

2 minutes ago, phili said:

Well he did manage to talk Venky's out of funding a double promotion shot after our league 1 promotion which they wanted to and instead went for a slow a slow build. Also if you chat to Waggott he'll tell you that Mowbray didn't once spend all the transfer budget he was given each window and is one of the reasons why Venky's trusted him.

Venky's gave him the budget in Jan because they want to be Premier League owners again especially after a Indian consortium looked at buying Chelsea as well as another club last year.

Where is it from that Mowbray never spent his budget or that he declined a £5m budget? Something which goes against him wanting to sell Rothwell to raise funds.

Easier to judge on what is spent eather than on rumours on what wasnt spent. But surely we can expect a big net spend with all this spare money sloshing around.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where is it from that Mowbray never spent his budget or that he declined a £5m budget? Something which goes against him wanting to sell Rothwell to raise funds.

Easier to judge on what is spent eather than on rumours on what wasnt spent. But surely we can expect a big net spend with all this spare money sloshing around.

Waggott for both. I am pretty sure the transfer spend will be around £8-9m at the end of the window.

You have to remember in Jan, Mowbray was trying to do everything to get a new contract. So trying to raise funds through selling Rothwell was him trying to do that. I also don't think he expected us to finish any lower than 6th from our position in January no matter if he signed anyone or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

We could match 10k p/w surely? Or even better it. We are paying more than that for many of the loans we bringing in. Gallacher is on 20k+ and some would argue he is not worth that. Ayala is on top wages and while a beast, plays half a season (to date). Dack is a top earner but another that has not played for 2 seasons (unfortunately). Doesnt seem like we are getting much value with those three contracts at the moment. We could definitely get value from a contract half that size for a promising your CD claimed by many as best his position in the country at his age. Or, lose for a pittance to Spuds. 

4 year deal, 10k per week - get it done now, Waggot! 

By time contract ends, he is still a kid ffs. I doubt he will finish it anyway if he becomes the big star many expect. 

I am sure we could match 10k p/w. I'm fairly sure we won't match 10k p/w for a 17 year old with 2 games under his belt. It's just not how we operate. And even if we did, Spurs would just gazump it with barely a second thought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

If you think we are going to offer Phillips £10,000 a week at just turned 17, there may be a few senior players knocking on the managers door. 
https://www.capology.com/club/blackburn/salaries/

If that's true, beggars belief how Gallagher is our 2nd highest earner. Yet more evidence of Mowbray's incompetence (or worse, having favourites within the squad).

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s about being savvy and using your grey matter,spend a few years learning your trade and then get your move to a really big club,phillips would be badly advised to go to spurs at the moment,he`ll get lost in their system

Deep down, I think we all know this is happening. Shame really, but money will be the deciding factor, simple as that. 

That list is even more innacurate as the first one from earlier. Tayo Edun and Pickering picked up from League 1 and on double our captain. That is what i would be knocking on the door about, not a 17 year old prodigy on mid level wages. Markanday earning 3 times more than Buckley?

Need to stop using these lists as they are all (bad) guesswork as none of them will know the actual salaries of players. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

His parent are used to knocking back the larger clubs....know for a fact that Utd have enquired numerous times over the years....I'd imagine he will be advised to stay here until at least 20 years of age.  The money will come.

Knocking back the larger clubs is one thing. Knocking back the larger cash is another.

If I understand it correctly, due to his age none of the big clubs would have been able to offer him big wages until now.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Knocking back the larger clubs is one thing. Knocking back the larger cash is another.

If I understand it correctly, due to his age none of the big clubs would have been able to offer him big wages until now.

No, players cannot sign pro terms until they are 17. Apparently he had promised to sign a contract we already had for him the day he turned 17. Still unsigned. 

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

And I repeat there will be no way in the world we would be thinking of offering him anything like £10,000. Not even sure where that figures come from unless someone has invented it

Yes, I invented it. As part of a hypothetical contract offer Spurs could make that we would struggle to match. And that even if we did they could go higher without a second thought.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

No, players cannot sign pro terms until they are 17. Apparently he had promised to sign a contract we already had for him the day he turned 17. Still unsigned. 

If you're drawing the distinction between 'offering' big wages and paying him big wages, you didn't need to. I know we arranged a contract before he turned 17, it was just a figure of speech. The point was more that they couldn't pay him it until now.

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Need to stop using these lists as they are all (bad) guesswork as none of them will know the actual salaries of players. 

Give us a source with better guesswork and we'll go with that. Hell, what are they on on Football Manager? That's probably not a bad estimate. 

Just going to reiterate that our god tier manager had Phillips behind Ayala, Wharton, Carter and Barnes at the start of the season. Comparisons to Shearer and talking about £40-£50million sales seem a little premature at the mo.