BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

51 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's pretty premature to say this of Broughton at this stage. So far he has made two permanent signings, both players already tracked for a while by the club, and bid on previously if I recall. Both players were from relegated sides, which made it easier to do than in the past. And a lad on loan from Liverpool, which has been part of our transfer policy for 2 years too....

I feel the same about JDT.

He has had a good start, but I'll judge his progress at Xmas. 

Sunday was my 1st live game as I've been away, so judging by the understandable euphoria surrounding the club, I expected flowing football, and quality all over the pitch, but I was disappointed by our inability to keep the ball at any stage of the game. 

I know this will improve, but it reminded me that we have to keep our feet on the ground, at least until the end of the transfer window. 

Tonight is a big test, especially as this game really confirmed our fall from grace last season (oops, wrong thread 😬).

So, optimistic, but guarded, until we start passing the ball effectively, and we need 3 more v good players to help with that. 

Ok, I'm off to the correct thread now, sorry....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal said:

Gut says both will be gone quite soon, despite Lancs Live reports on Phillips.

It’ll be a big shame if they go before 27th August that they don’t get an Ewood farewell.

I thought Phillips couldn’t leave until he’s finished his apprenticeship in the summer? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

I thought Phillips couldn’t leave until he’s finished his apprenticeship in the summer? 

We might choose to sell him for an arranged fee now rather than wait til next summer and risk a shit fee at tribunal.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Someone is trying to get an auction going we've seen it all before.

1 hour ago, phili said:

At a guess I would say his agent

Would it be more beneficial to his agent for him to leave now or wait until he’s out of contract? Or even January? When’s his baby due? 

Ben’s turn in form is mainly down to confidence, a move to a premier league club and a bad start and it could all go Pete Tongue.   I don’t think he’ll be pushing for a move, but I don’t think we could offer him a contract that he’d sign. 

I don’t want to sell, as I think we’ll be battle at the wrong end of the table if he leaves. There’s no chance we’ll get replacements in if he goes, there’s only two weeks left and we aren’t the quickest at transfers. 

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We might choose to sell him for an arranged fee now rather than wait til next summer and risk a shit fee at tribunal.

Unless it’s a very good fee, we can’t really afford to lose him as we need him for cover. 

Like others have said it’s best for his long term career that he stays for a little while longer. Another few seasons and he’ll be able to pick where he moves, could even be Citeh or United if he continues to develop as he has. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Can only think that would be the case if something was close. 8.5 million is nowehere near. This could roll on another week - just hope we have other targets lined up and ready to come. 

We should have a replacement lined up regardless of the sale.  We never replaced Armstong, and even if we don't sell BBD, aside from promotion, he's surely gone by next year.  We should be bringing in another central forward even if BBD is here next month.  

You wonder if after making his debut and the feel good factor around ewood at the moment if it has clouded Phillips and his inner circles judgement to our benefit. He is only a kid and will be way more excitable and immature for want of a better word and it's possible to get carried away and jump the gun on signing a deal. 

His parents etc will also be buzzing and ok a massive high, even for big money it is difficult to up sticks and head to London only to be playing u23s football and nowhere near the first team.

You just have to hope and wonder if our lack of planning previously and lack of bodies forcing us to play a talented kid may have ironically got us to keep hold of a future star.

2 minutes ago, BigBar said:

You wonder if after making his debut and the feel good factor around ewood at the moment if it has clouded Phillips and his inner circles judgement to our benefit. He is only a kid and will be way more excitable and immature for want of a better word and it's possible to get carried away and jump the gun on signing a deal. 

His parents etc will also be buzzing and ok a massive high, even for big money it is difficult to up sticks and head to London only to be playing u23s football and nowhere near the first team.

You just have to hope and wonder if our lack of planning previously and lack of bodies forcing us to play a talented kid may have ironically got us to keep hold of a future star.

i would`nt call him a kid,have you seen the size of him??!!,it`s the old adage,if you are good enough you are old enough

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You clearly aren't reading what I am putting.

I would totally understand signing players, selling at a profit, reinvesting some of the money, pocketing the rest and continuing but it has to be continuous.

As it is, sometimes no money at all is spent following a big sale/big sales, including last summer, sometimes money is made available to spend fairly randomly and sometimes the sale of assets at considerable profits is blocked by Venkys. Such random and variable actions is not going to lead to the sort of model ie Brentford that people both on here and even people within the club have compared to in the past.

I am reading what you are putting so please don't the same old line again when people disagree with you or very valid points. 

I have never mentioned the Brentford model but we need create our own model and we are starting this now under GB and JDT in charge so lets see how it goes 

Mowbray has money available last January and didn't spend it. Why didn't he? 

Yes at times money could have been available but sometimes Mowbray has had chance to spend it and hasn't. I think someone posted on here that Mowbray has never spend his full budget in any season here. How true that is I don't know but that is poor that he isn't using full budget. 

You make some very valid points tho I might disagree on times 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I have two far greater concerns - the loss of multi-million assets this summer for nothing, players who had developed and were worth millions, and the lack of signings, which is very alarming.

You are obsess with losing these 3 players this summer for nothing despite the club making good contracts offers to them. Nyambe is average right back who has joined wigan as back up. clearly not rated has highly by other clubs and his agent. Lenihan moved on looks average so far, Rothwell has joined Bournemouth but might make it or not,  

5 hours ago, J*B said:

great news if it happens. I hope it does happen myself. 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, West Brom also have Cat 1 academies so we are not unique. None are immune to having youth players poached just like we weren't when Callum Wright was snatched away by Leicester.

They might all have Cat 1 academies but are they producing players like we are the first team and are they playing premier league 2 football like us? No they aren't. 

Our academy is producing quality players year after year plus playing PL2 div 1 football whilst no other championship club is

24 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i would`nt call him a kid,have you seen the size of him??!!,it`s the old adage,if you are good enough you are old enough

He's a kid. Kids can be big but let's be clear, at 17, he is a kid. I never mentioned anything about him not being good enough or old enough? 🤣

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Unless it’s a very good fee, we can’t really afford to lose him as we need him for cover. 

Like others have said it’s best for his long term career that he stays for a little while longer. Another few seasons and he’ll be able to pick where he moves, could even be Citeh or United if he continues to develop as he has. 

Not if we buy someone else with the money we don't. And yes I think he should stay put.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am reading what you are putting so please don't the same old line again when people disagree with you or very valid points. 

I have never mentioned the Brentford model but we need create our own model and we are starting this now under GB and JDT in charge so lets see how it goes 

Mowbray has money available last January and didn't spend it. Why didn't he? 

Yes at times money could have been available but sometimes Mowbray has had chance to spend it and hasn't. I think someone posted on here that Mowbray has never spend his full budget in any season here. How true that is I don't know but that is poor that he isn't using full budget. 

You make some very valid points tho I might disagree on times 

You are obsess with losing these 3 players this summer for nothing despite the club making good contracts offers to them. Nyambe is average right back who has joined wigan as back up. clearly not rated has highly by other clubs and his agent. Lenihan moved on looks average so far, Rothwell has joined Bournemouth but might make it or not,  

great news if it happens. I hope it does happen myself. 

They might all have Cat 1 academies but are they producing players like we are the first team and are they playing premier league 2 football like us? No they aren't. 

Our academy is producing quality players year after year plus playing PL2 div 1 football whilst no other championship club is

I don’t know of any other club, producing the quality and quantity we are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Theaxe15 said:

I’m saying he is… can’t imagine any fans of united or city would be trawling through a Blackburn Rovers message board 

Apologies then, thought it was one of these we have been sniffing round your player and wanted to ask fans what they thought of him type scenarios which you do get

On 16/07/2022 at 13:29, Butty said:

I’d be making a Centre half, a left back and a right back an absolute priority over anything. Pickering is miles away from being good enough, I’ve thought this since the second half of last season. The lad has no pace whatsoever, he needs replacing. 

Just bringing this back from July….. We NEED a new starting left back. It’s an absolute must for me before the window shuts. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Butty said:

Just bringing this back from July….. We NEED a new starting left back. It’s an absolute must for me before the window shuts. 

It seems like we are back to signing nobody again. 

I find it hard to believe we'll get a left back in. 

A CB (or 2) and a striker has probably just moved up the priority list after tonight.

As it takes us an ice age to sign any players, I doubt we'll get more than 2 in before the window shuts.