BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

We were linked to Matt O'Riley before he moved to Celtic, weren't we? Wish we'd got that one over the line...just read this about him.

'The Denmark U21 international – who joined from MK Dons back in January on a £1.5m deal – is reportedly the subject of interest from a host of elite clubs across Europe, with Manchester United said to be one of those who are watching the 21-year-old closely.

The London-born starlet has also recently admitted that there is interest in his signature at present, albeit with Celtic likely to demand a fee of around £20m if he is to be moved on before deadline day.'

1.5 mill to 20 mill in 8 months, not bad business at all. Also worth remembering next time someone dismisses signing a player from League One.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 8

41 minutes ago, Gav said:

You said he was a busted flush when he was here, thats absolute tripe, we'll probably never see another goal scorer like Rhodes here again, he was a goal machine that went to Boro for £10m.

I wouldn't want him back here, no ney never, but that doesn't take away from the fact he was a brilliant goal scorer for us. 

Ok let me confirm, he was good to start with and then towards the end he was obviously a few yards short and that was nearly a decade ago...👍 sorry to confuse the situation Gav

43 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The issue wasn’t with you saying we shouldn’t sign him; it’s saying he was a busted flush and miles off it. One of the worst opinions I’ve seen on any football forum.

At the end of his time here, I'd have thought that obvious,  but for clarification...he was good to start and shit at the end👍

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It was tongue-in-cheek really, it's just amusing he's using the same terminology as Mowbray. 

I like to see myself as always hopeful when it comes to Rovers, but I'm also cynical enough after 12 long years to doubt Venky's would know a good manager if it slapped them on the arse. Tiny little red flags are being raised at the moment about JDT. I hope I'm wrong. 

Usual manager speak but in a nice voice that I can at least understand unlike that gurning North Easterner.

I think we can guarantee though that we will sign players which are leaked from the selling club first, or from whats been posted on here. 

To date local press run with what was already common knowledge or claimed exclusives hours after the name was on here or twitter. I do miss the days of Andy Cryer and Nixon when he genuinely had good sources

Edited by glen9mullan

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You would be amazed just how the big clubs use video scouting.  It enables them to watch hundreds of matches helping to sort the wheat from the chaffe and saving hugely on resource and travel expense.  However, 'live' scouting, as you would expect, is still a a big and vital part of it.  Arsenal are one of the clubs at the forefront of this approach and a friend's son is a key player in their recruitment team.  

Being able to sit and watch entire games repeatedly to pinpoint everything each player does is a fantastic tool and should be utilized. I hope we have a room full of peor doing this for every team we are fixing to play or player we are scouting - as well as in the flesh.

Have never belived in getting excited about a relatively unknown player based on compilation YouTube videos.

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

I think we can guarantee though that we will sign players which are leaked from the selling club first, or from whats been posted on here. 

To date local press run with what was already common knowledge or claimed exclusives hours after the name was on here or twitter. I do miss the days of Andy Cryer and Nixon when he genuinely had good sources

I’m sat here refreshing confused as to how we are 52 hours away from the window closing and don’t have any credible links… I need to remember this. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Do you know if we are seeking a 'marquee' signing as some have stated the Barkley deal would be?

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’m sat here refreshing confused as to how we are 52 hours away from the window closing and don’t have any credible links… I need to remember this. 

Waggott confirmed in meeting with me that they were not chucking local media any bones and unless they have great contacts with agents or other clubs, then they are screwed really.

He did comment they were trying to find who was leaking things to Nixon too but had been unsuccessful to date.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jaybes said:

Do you know if we are seeking a 'marquee' signing as some have stated the Barkley deal would be?

Depends what you count as marquee?

If a player say Bowler for instance (just an example) is £4 million, then thats above our budget. This would need special case putting together with facts figure and possible returns on investment, just like the case which was done for BBD purchase.

Barkley would not fall under this; he was on £200k per week. Unless he wants to accept a maximum of 23k a week that will not happen. Our wage budget will not be raised under any circumstances.

A sale of BBD would mean we dont need to ask for special case money as £5 million of that would be made available.

However the thing we must take into account, our transfer budget is for the season, so if we do spend it all this window, then January will be a non event in terms of transfers.

Also a special case, is not just any player above £3 million, its got to really stack up

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But the club or Venkys London sits in a corner of the profitable VH Group who have to feed it millions and millions therefore in India it reduces the companies profits.

It reduces the accounting profits of the VH Group but I would be surprised if Indian tax law gave a deduction against taxable profits in India for expenditure on propping up a football club in the UK - I would anticipate Indian politicians and public would be up in arms if they did.

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

However the thing we must take into account, our transfer budget is for the season, so if we do spend it all this window, then January will be a non event in terms of transfers.

Oh! That's really good info, chief. I was under the impression that the 10 mill being bandied about was the budget for *this* window rather than the season as a whole. Cheers!

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Depends what you count as marquee?

If a player say Bowler for instance (just an example) is £4 million, then thats above our budget. This would need special case putting together with facts figure and possible returns on investment, just like the case which was done for BBD purchase.

Barkley would not fall under this; he was on £200k per week. Unless he wants to accept a maximum of 23k a week that will not happen. Our wage budget will not be raised under any circumstances.

A sale of BBD would mean we dont need to ask for special case money as £5 million of that would be made available.

Also a special case, is not just any player above £3 million, its got to really stack up

Thanks Glen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It reduces the accounting profits of the VH Group but I would be surprised if Indian tax law gave a deduction against taxable profits in India for expenditure on propping up a football club in the UK - I would anticipate Indian politicians and public would be up in arms if they did.

Only assumption of course on my part but on the VH Group accounts is Venkys London Ltd which is just another oversees company owned by them.

Theoretically it could just be seen as another business investment that is taking millions to keep going but at some point might make a return.

I'm pleased to hear it's 3 + Hyam, not 3 including Hyam. I'd imagine it will be 4 more if BBD goes. 

I'm hoping another defender, midfielder, and striker (two if BBD goes). For me, we've got too many similar players in attacking positions - too many small attacking players like Szmodics, Dack, Buckley, Dolan, Markanday, Morton. We need something different.

49 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Tbh, like lots on here heard quite a few names, but given how close Rovers are keeping cards close to their chest bar what i've posted previously be daft to speculate further. 

If I was guessing, and im not negotiating the deals, i'd go Hirst, Styles plus another 1 perm, 1 loan.

If BBD goes

As above but it be the two mentioned  plus two perm with Bowler and a striker from abroad.

This is purely based on murmurings and nothing more.

Just with the styles situation…Are you basing him just on your very original enquiry? Just as that was a fair few weeks ago or have you heard a recent noise that it ‘could’ be back…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tax havens are used to shelter profits whereas here we are talking about trying to offset losses in the UK against profits in India, which is a  different concept.

I know they're different concepts. The end result is the same, public funds being shafted unfairly. I don't want to digress into politics, my point was only that just because it would be unfair to the Indian electorate in no way means it isn't happening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I'm pleased to hear it's 3 + Hyam, not 3 including Hyam. I'd imagine it will be 4 more if BBD goes. 

I'm hoping another defender, midfielder, and striker (two if BBD goes). For me, we've got too many similar players in attacking positions - too many small attacking players like Szmodics, Dack, Buckley, Dolan, Markanday, Morton. We need something different.

Wouldn't get too pleased yet, what JDT wants and what he will end up will probably be completely different.

Really don't see another 3 joining this late.

I see a few jumped on my Vale and Burns post. 

So you want to spend money on Dykes/Hirst, who has done pretty much as much as Vale and Burns, then you might as well give 2 of our own youngsters that opportunity. 

Cant just waste money, just because your obsession with us having to sign a player, any player. Then we are headed into dangerous territory, we don't want to find ourselves in again. 

Same people who jumped at my post, are probably the same people, who wanted us to get rid of Scott Wharton. If those are the calibre players you view ahead of our own, then blimey, get help 

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Being purely speculative here, if we were to bring in Styles for LWB (& move to a back 5), I could genuinely see Pickering being an option at LCB. Not saying he'd be one of the starters but he's looked better there when moved inside from LB in the games recently. 

When everyone's fit we will have five centre backs now (Wharton, Hyam, Ayala, Carter, Phillips) so hopefully won't be needed.

• Like 1