BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Bannan would be a good addition if Wharton or batty etc or on the verge of first team football but arnt ready for week in week out football. I wouldn’t mind abit of experience to help blood this latest crop of talent in. Bannan and alike could do a job for 12 18 months break them in gently . 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Rothwell isn't a loss especially with Dack coming back to fitness. Sure he could take it round a player or two but he'd usually get too excited and run into a third. Very seldom did he get his head up and make a great pass or get a good shot off which is a shame because he got into some great positions but then he'd waste the opportunity which is reflected by his goal and assist count. 

'Flatters to deceive' will be his legacy here I think. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

Rothwell isn't a loss especially with Dack coming back to fitness. Sure he could take it round a player or two but he'd usually get too excited and run into a third. Very seldom did he get his head up and make a great pass or get a good shot off which is a shame because he got into some great positions but then he'd waste the opportunity which is reflected by his goal and assist count. 

'Flatters to deceive' will be his legacy here I think. 

Rothwell was an inconsistent player for much of his time here, but to say he 'isn't a loss' is being in denial.

A promoted, much wealthier side with a larger and more talented midfield want him, but he isn't even a loss for us? Nah not having that.

He's capable of things most other players aren't, in particular he can run with the ball and stretch play superbly, putting teams on the back foot. It's not all about goals and assists stats. A better manager may also get more out of him.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Rothwell was an inconsistent player for much of his time here, but to say he 'isn't a loss' is being in denial.

A promoted, much wealthier side with a larger and more talented midfield want him, but he isn't even a loss for us? Nah not having that.

He's capable of things most other players aren't, in particular he can run with the ball and stretch play superbly, putting teams on the back foot. It's not all about goals and assists stats. A better manager may also get more out of him.

The game has always been about goals. Either stopping them or scoring them.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Rothwell this season gave us something a bit different and added another dimension. He was a big part part of the great run but before and after it he was average to poor.

After the Fulham game i said he should never play there again in fact i felt it should have been Davenport or someone else even before that.  Like the rest of them that beating gave him a rocket up the arse but i'm not sure how well it actually worked over the whole season.

His set pieces are abysmal, a handy player lost though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

The game has always been about goals. Either stopping them or scoring them.

Obviously.

But no single stat tells you the whole story of a player's contribution towards teams scoring or stopping lots of goals. Someone who scores a lot might be very well supplied by the other players around him and struggle when he goes somewhere else. A keeper with tons of clean sheets probably has a very solid defence in front of him and maybe a very good DM, and might struggle when moving to a club where that doesn't apply. Some areas of the pitch, like a DM, can be central to a team's whole game but won't be scoring or creating many goals generally.

If what happens in the game didn't matter unless it involved goals, there wouldn't be any point in crunching tackles or raking passes, running with the ball, and everyone would just sit around waiting to score or stop goals. And as a result, there wouldn't be any.

• Like 3

Championship teams have started to announce who is leaving on frees. Considering Venkys dont like reinvesting even money from sales, yoy would think that it is a crucial market for us yet I suspect any decent ones will have gone elsewhere by the time a manager is appointed.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Obviously.

But no single stat tells you the whole story of a player's contribution towards teams scoring or stopping lots of goals. Someone who scores a lot might be very well supplied by the other players around him and struggle when he goes somewhere else. A keeper with tons of clean sheets probably has a very solid defence in front of him and maybe a very good DM, and might struggle when moving to a club where that doesn't apply. Some areas of the pitch, like a DM, can be central to a team's whole game but won't be scoring or creating many goals generally.

If what happens in the game didn't matter unless it involved goals, there wouldn't be any point in crunching tackles or raking passes, running with the ball, and everyone would just sit around waiting to score or stop goals. And as a result, there wouldn't be any.

You lost my interest at the word stat.

50 minutes ago, rigger said:

You lost my interest at the word stat.

Funny, because you were basically the one suggesting a stat (goals) can tell us everything we need to know. Or if you weren't suggesting that, your post didn't have any meaning.

Also I had already used the word 'stats' in the post you quoted first, in precisely the same sort of context, and it didn't lose your interest then.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He got 3 goals and 10 assists from centre mid this season. That's a good return especially when he didn't really do it much in the second half of the season.

Some will focus on the negative but I'll miss watching him personally, he was good to watch on his day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He'll get nullified at a higher level. 

Again I'm one of his biggest proponents on here (like Brereton pre-Diaz), but if you man-mark him with an PL athlete you take 75% of his game away. He's just be forced to run wide into dead ends. 

His range of passing is good for the Championship, but would be shown up in the PL. 

Annoyingly he's also a 70 minute man - no idea how that's the case with the amount of training they do, but he's either out of puff at 70 minutes, or has to go hiding for 20 minutes a game to finish the match.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well if the Championship team of the season is anything to go off - it should be him and Lenihan* as first choice, with Wharton as back-up.  

image.png.0a41bf4310ce10449e397cbbc10f67ac.png

EDIT* - I've somehow got it in my head that Lenihan is staying. Not sure why.

Helik and Swift, what a dream it would be to sign those two.

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

Sounds like just the player we need. So not a hope in hells chance of us even registering an interest

Especially since we probably won't sort our manager out until August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

There is also an interview with him on Facebook through RoversTV where he says he is looking forward to next season and the push for promotion. It is fair to say that he will be an attractive target for many richer sides this summer, but his interview might indicate him staying for another season... If so I hope that Rovers extend his contract for an additional two years - so that we may cash in on him next year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He would never say on an official Rovers site video that he plans to leave, I am sure by the end of the window he will be gone, question is how much is made available to reinvest, based on last summer I guess not much if any.

TBH he deserves a big move. His transformation has been remarkable  - but what has struck me more than anything has been his work ethic and teamwork.

Let's hope he gets his dream move - and Rovers our dream transfer fee 🙏 

• Like 5

A ‘dream transfer fee’ which won’t be anywhere to be seen for the team, but it will kick the FFP can down the road for a bit. As I suppose, finding something decent to sell every year so we can scramble away from sanctions, players, training ground, is the ‘dream’ these days…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He would never say on an official Rovers site video that he plans to leave, I am sure by the end of the window he will be gone, question is how much is made available to reinvest, based on last summer I guess not much if any.

You can't blame BBD, if he stays for another 12 months we might get nothing for him. He will be in the free transfer category. He is hot property at the moment and you can't blame players wanting to play in the top flight while there still in their prime.