BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

34 minutes ago, Miker said:

Kristian Pedersen and Naby Sarr out of contract this summer. Would take them both in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Pedersen would be a big upgrade on Pickering, in my view. I'm not impressed with our options at left back, but we have a lot of work to do elsewhere in the squad so that area will probably be left as it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Let's be fair.  A talented 19 year old would show glimpses here and there. Brereton was really poor 😂

I think you're wrong here...I remember watching a forest game, can't remember the opposition but Brereton destroyed them and looked the business and he must have only been 18...I bet its on YouTube somewhere...I was quietly pleased....but he never kicked on for 12 months.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3067108/liverpool-plot-10m-bid-for-nottingham-forest-whizkid-ben-brereton-after-scouts-rave-about-the-striker/

Edited by Sparks Rover

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you're wrong here...I remember watching a forest game, can't remember the opposition but Brereton destroyed them and looked the business and he must have only been 18...I bet its on YouTube somewhere...I was quietly pleased....but he never kicked on for 12 months.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3067108/liverpool-plot-10m-bid-for-nottingham-forest-whizkid-ben-brereton-after-scouts-rave-about-the-striker/

I was referring to what he showed at Rovers early doors.  

He had a few decent appearances for Forest. If you can name one in that first season at Rovers  I'll doff my cap to you sir. 

I like Brereton, I don't think he got that much stick - everyone was willing him to do well...

It just took a long time for him to show what he can do!

• Backroom
14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I actually think that his finishing has gone from being wild to being very clinical and technically good. I think back to his second at home to Peterborough, his goal at Peterborough, his first v Cardiff and his goal at Bristol City all come to mind. Mind you, he has got his fair share of penalties and tap ins to get the numbers up as any goalscorer needs.

I agree that his finishing has improved a lot this season, I was thinking more about his bambi-on-ice runs where he almost stumbles past defenders to get a sight on goal. It's funny to watch, but ultimately he's still getting past them and getting a shot away, so it doesn't really matter how it looks. 

As far as penalties are concerned, I've always felt having a reliable penalty taker is very important. Look at how our penalties turned out when BBD wasn't taking them. I've never felt penalties should have any kind of asterisk against them when looking at goalscoring tallies, as penalty conversions are just as vital as goals scored from open play. 

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Arsenal it was!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20138428.remaining-decisions-rovers-blackburn-finalise-retained-list/

Hints that Davenport and Butterworth might be kept on which would be the wrong decision both financially and from a footballing perspective.

Davenport has been here for 4 years presumably on not insignificant wages having been at City and has spent much of that time injured. When he has played he hasn't really impressed and has never kept a place in the team, just let him go.

Butterworth is terrible, he can't run for longer than 5 minutes and he comes across as lazy, I remember that Boro game when we had to carry him even though he had come on supposedly to give us fresh legs when we were short of forward options. He didn't do anything at Fleetwood, let him find a club lower down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I was referring to what he showed at Rovers early doors.  

He had a few decent appearances for Forest. If you can name one in that first season at Rovers  I'll doff my cap to you sir. 

I like Brereton, I don't think he got that much stick - everyone was willing him to do well...

It just took a long time for him to show what he can do!

Fair enough, I thought you were referring to pre rovers

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would they come here? Luton finished 6th, its not even as if we offer more money anymore.

These underfancied, underfunded teams often return to expected levels the next season. See Barnsley. If they're smart, Luton players will know their stock might not get any higher and use their moment in the sun for a better move. And yes, we almost certainly pay more than Luton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20138428.remaining-decisions-rovers-blackburn-finalise-retained-list/

Hints that Davenport and Butterworth might be kept on which would be the wrong decision both financially and from a footballing perspective.

Davenport has been here for 4 years presumably on not insignificant wages having been at City and has spent much of that time injured. When he has played he hasn't really impressed and has never kept a place in the team, just let him go.

Butterworth is terrible, he can't run for longer than 5 minutes and he comes across as lazy, I remember that Boro game when we had to carry him even though he had come on supposedly to give us fresh legs when we were short of forward options. He didn't do anything at Fleetwood, let him find a club lower down.

mowbray never gave davenport a chance,it was clear he did`nt rate him,whenever he did appear he did an ok job,id`e keep him on,he could flourish under a progressive manager

i don`t think butterworth is going to make it,he looks continually unfit and whenever iv`e seen him he`s labouring after 15 minutes,let him go along with magloire,i don`t think either of them have a future at this level

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbray never gave davenport a chance,it was clear he did`nt rate him,whenever he did appear he did an ok job,id`e keep him on,he could flourish under a progressive manager

i don`t think butterworth is going to make it,he looks continually unfit and whenever iv`e seen him he`s labouring after 15 minutes,let him go along with magloire,i don`t think either of them have a future at this level

With the likes of Nyambe, Lenihan and the extension in Brereton's contract, they are all proven regular players at this level so it is straightforward to try and tie them down even before a manager comes in. With Davenport, he has had 4 seasons and has never proven his worth so it seems counterproductive to try and keep him on the off chance that he looks ok when he occasionally features.

Davenport's main issue throughout his Rovers career has been injuries so he isn't fit for purpose even as a potential squad player because he isn't reliable on. I don't think he has been particularly short changed by management either in that he has at times filled in and looked ok but he has never made himself undroppable, perhaps partially down to his struggles to keep fit for any extended period.

He has been here for 4 years now and has not impressed for any significant period, seems to make sense to me to move him on and allow him to try and nail down a spot elsewhere (probably League 1 or 2) rather than potentially lumber him onto a new manager.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we shouldn't renew either of their contracts for next season. 

I have been abit disappointed by Davenport not having a more of an impact in the 4 years but too many injuries. He needs to go somewhere and play regular football. 

On Butterworth, he needs regular football at league 1 or 2 level cos he has talent but playing a few minutes won't help him. On Fleetwood spell he played out of position or on bench cos they only played 1 up front. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we shouldn't renew either of their contracts for next season. 

I have been abit disappointed by Davenport not having a more of an impact in the 4 years but too many injuries. He needs to go somewhere and play regular football. 

On Butterworth, he needs regular football at league 1 or 2 level cos he has talent but playing a few minutes won't help him. On Fleetwood spell he played out of position or on bench cos they only played 1 up front. 

I think Davenport has been given the shitty end of the stick by Mowbray. OK his first 2 years were blighted by injury but since then he's come into the team, done OK and then dropped from the squad straight away thereby giving the lad no chance to make any impression. Mowbrays last excuse for discarding him was he's not mouthy enough or similar guff.  I would be looking to fuck off from here if I was him too.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, ossyian said:

I think Davenport has been given the shitty end of the stick by Mowbray. OK his first 2 years were blighted by injury but since then he's come into the team, done OK and then dropped from the squad straight away thereby giving the lad no chance to make any impression. Mowbrays last excuse for discarding him was he's not mouthy enough or similar guff.  I would be looking to fuck off from here if I was him too.

Even in those 2 years he has had injuries, he missed the last few weeks this season I think with injuries. Has he ever really announced himself when he has played? This season no one in their right mind would have dropped Travis or Rothwell and he seems to get better and better by not playing.

I know its the easiest narrative to pin everything on Mowbray but not sure its the case here.

22 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Davenport need to go and play regular football somewhere. I like Davenport but injuries has impacted his time here

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even in those 2 years he has had injuries, he missed the last few weeks this season I think with injuries. Has he ever really announced himself when he has played? This season no one in their right mind would have dropped Travis or Rothwell and he seems to get better and better by not playing.

I know its the easiest narrative to pin everything on Mowbray but not sure its the case here.

Yes I think he did announce himself earlier this season away at Stoke I think when a lot on here saying he was by far our best midfielder but was then left out of the next match day squad altogether. If you're not allowed a run of games then how the heck is he supposed to make an impression? I just think Mowbray treated him harshly because he's not vocal enough for him which is a load of old bollocks. Why do you have to be a mouthy bastard to play any professional sport?

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You could have actually dropped Rothwell quite easily after a couple of blinders as his next 5 or 6 would be indifferent bordering on shite. He didn't deserve his place in a starting 11 since the Bournemouth saga

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Yes I think he did announce himself earlier this season away at Stoke I think when a lot on here saying he was by far our best midfielder but was then left out of the next match day squad altogether. If you're not allowed a run of games then how the heck is he supposed to make an impression? I just think Mowbray treated him harshly because he's not vocal enough for him which is a load of old bollocks. Why do you have to be a mouthy bastard to play any professional sport?

He only had a cameo at Stoke and didnt play in the return game. He did start v Sheffield United when he wasnt stand out but did a decent enough job and kept his place for the following game at Bristol City where he was less effective and was dropped for the next game at home to Peterborough. We won 4 nil and coupled with a move to a formation with only 2 midfield slots we then went on a winning run so he cant justifably feel aggrieved at being taken out then.

His main downfall has been his terrible injury record which continiously prevented him from gaining momentum and ultimately when he did play he didnt make sure he couldnt be dropped.

I tried to find the quotes you mentioned but couldnt. But I very much doubt that the likes of Buckley are massive talkers, maybe he was wanting more authority from Davenport who when he did play often let games pass without really influencing them.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He only had a cameo at Stoke and didnt play in the return game. He did start v Sheffield United when he wasnt stand out but did a decent enough job and kept his place for the following game at Bristol City where he was less effective and was dropped for the next game at home to Peterborough. We won 4 nil and coupled with a move to a formation with only 2 midfield slots we then went on a winning run so he cant justifably feel aggrieved at being taken out then.

His main downfall has been his terrible injury record which continiously prevented him from gaining momentum and ultimately when he did play he didnt make sure he couldnt be dropped.

I tried to find the quotes you mentioned but couldnt. But I very much doubt that the likes of Buckley are massive talkers, maybe he was wanting more authority from Davenport who when he did play often let games pass without really influencing them.

That's fair enough. Probs got wrong match but was away from home November where he was lauded on this MB. The bit about him being quiet was Mowbray in LT around March saying he couldn't see fire in his belly as he's a quiet lad. Funnily enough I am friends with an ex International cricketer from Glos who asked me last year why so much noise from Lancs League players when we went to watch. Sounds amateurish he said. That's cos it is I said! 

4 minutes ago, ossyian said:

The bit about him being quiet was Mowbray in LT around March saying he couldn't see fire in his belly

That's bloody rich coming from Mowbray about somebody else. I didn't see any fire from him with us in 2nd place. Tosser. Mowbray that is, not you, Ossyian.

• Like 1