BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sorry I must be asleep...

Bought for 7m...probably get 15m for him...leave 8m...1.6m to forest and 6.4m left....am I wrong?

My understanding IF there is a sell-on. We paid £6 to £7m and from memory at the time it had to be in up front for the deal to go through. So in terms of this close season the cash flow would be £15m in, £15m less outlay (call it £7m) leaving £8m profit. Forest would be due 20% of £8m= £1.6m. The balance of the monies would therefore be £13.4m in Rovers bank account.

Note - I’m not saying it will stay with us, plus don’t forget agents fees. Money grabbing shysters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

With JPvH gone, Ayala massively ‘injury’ prone and Lenihan possibly weeks from the door, why on earth would you sell him, especially for peanuts?

Be very strange, but then welcome to VenkyWorld

We should be looking to promote Ash Phillips into the first team and tie him down to a nice long contract. 

46 minutes ago, 1874 said:

We should be looking to promote Ash Phillips into the first team and tie him down to a nice long contract. 

Spent half of last season injured and has yet to play a professional game. Letting Carter go on the assumption he will come through would be inordinately risky. I appreciate you didn't say that, it's just inferred a bit from the post you chose to quote when saying this.

Not that I disagree, we should be looking to bring him through, but this should be in a fringe capacity until he shows he is ready. Sub appearances, cup appearances, and some starts if he shows enough in those. He is already contracted for 3 years, which begins when he turns 17. Hopefully includes our usual one-year option too. For now, Carter must be considered ahead of him in the pecking order with the experience from his loans and playing in our first team.

Selling Carter for 500k at this stage would be idiotic. I can only hope Portsmouth are just stabbing in the dark with that figure and haven't had any encouragement. I get the feeling Carter is turning into our next Wharton, hell his loans were a league higher than any of the ones Wharton got and he has impressed both times. We are short in that area, especially if Lenihan leaves. It would then just be injury-prone, ageing Ayala and Wharton. We're going to need to bring in one, arguably two (if we stay with 3 CBs under the new boss) CBs as it is even if Carter stays.

500k wouldn't go very far even if we got it all back to reinvest (spoiler alert, we wouldn't) and a replacement worth their salt would probably be senior and earning more in wages.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pompey hoping to land Carter for £500k this summer: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20143531.portsmouth-ready-go-sign-blackburn-rovers-defender-hayden-carter/

Would be a balls up for me. Let the new manager come in and assess him.

Should absolutely not be letting him go, purely on the basis of how much the Portsmouth fans rave about him. Would save us buying at least one defender.

carter.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Spent half of last season injured and has yet to play a professional game. Letting Carter go on the assumption he will come through would be inordinately risky. I appreciate you didn't say that, it's just inferred a bit from the post you chose to quote when saying this.

Not that I disagree, we should be looking to bring him through, but this should be in a fringe capacity until he shows he is ready. Sub appearances, cup appearances, and some starts if he shows enough in those. He is already contracted for 3 years, which begins when he turns 17. Hopefully includes our usual one-year option too. For now, Carter must be considered ahead of him in the pecking order with the experience from his loans and playing in our first team.

Selling Carter for 500k at this stage would be idiotic. I can only hope Portsmouth are just stabbing in the dark with that figure and haven't had any encouragement. I get the feeling Carter is turning into our next Wharton, hell his loans were a league higher than any of the ones Wharton got and he has impressed both times. We are short in that area, especially if Lenihan leaves. It would then just be injury-prone, ageing Ayala and Wharton. We're going to need to bring in one, arguably two (if we stay with 3 CBs under the new boss) CBs as it is even if Carter stays.

500k wouldn't go very far even if we got it all back to reinvest (spoiler alert, we wouldn't) and a replacement worth their salt would probably be senior and earning more in wages.

Carters future here largely depends on two things

1 If Lenihan goes

2 The style the new manager wants.

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Should absolutely not be letting him go, purely on the basis of how much the Portsmouth fans rave about him. Would save us buying at least one defender.

carter.jpg

Donkey, be better off on the coast.  500k get one of Carlos mates in from Lisbon

39 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Carter is arguably slightly ahead of Wharton when he was 22. Send Carter out on loan to Portsmouth again for another season and review next summer. Time is on our side with his contract, which is for another two years.

Let's not do that, and it isn't on our side if we loan him out for one of those two years.

On the first point, it saves us bringing in a squad CB in a summer where we already have a ton of work to do, and he may be close to a breakthrough, having already 'completed' League One twice. As you say, he has performed at a higher league level than Wharton had before he came through here.

On the second point, sending him on loan for a season will leave us with one year left on his deal. As we should absolutely know by now, that's a dangerous point to let someone's deal reach. It would mean if he broke through successfully in his one remaining season with us, he would either leave for a free at the end of it (would be above compensation age) or be able to put us under a lot of pressure to inflate his wages. If he does leave for a free after a good season next season, our entire time developing him will essentially amount to the equivalent of having loaned a PL youngster to develop for someone else. Yeh he has played a few games for us before too, but meh.

It's time to see if he can hack it here properly. Squad role at first, and if he impresses enough he breaks through like Wharton did.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Donkey?? 

I thought you were supposed to be educated on footballing abilities

Because I don't agree with you, does that mean I'm not..?

I've watched him at close quarters, not for me, but it is only an opinion.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Carter publicly expressed his desire for game time. He won't get that here next season.

Carter isn't Armstrong or Brereton Diaz. Those two (and their reps) hold/held all the cards. Carter situation will be more like Wharton, which I'm sure we can handle.

Why won't he get that here? For starters he has had some game time here before so he's already on the cusp. And as things stand we may have just injury-prone and old Ayala, with Wharton as our CBs next season. Given Ayala's track record (and Wharton's to a degree) that would mean Carter playing in the majority of games. We may even want to play 3 CBs again. Even if Lenihan stays or we sign another CB, there's a solid chance Carter can improve markedly on his previous number of appearances. He has also covered at RB on occasion, for us and I think for Pompey. If he's good enough or going to be, he'll likely break through fully this season.

Why would he suddenly be more eligible for game time in our first team after a season of repeating what he did at Pompey and Burton? The same question marks will remain until he is given a run in our first team.

To me it's simple - unless the new manager doesn't fancy using him or we end up signing a bunch of CBs we probably don't have the budget for, he stays until at least January when we reassess.

On a related note, if we never kept young players at the club on the basis of them not having broken through as regulars yet, nobody would break through.

• Like 2

His versatility is a bonus, if we play with a back 4 Carter has I think at times played as a right back at Pompey as well as in a back 3. He also featured for us earlier in the season notably at Forest. Unless we sign 2 right backs inclusive of a potential Nyambe deal, he may get game in either position with Rankin Costello well off the standard and Brown in need of a loan.

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

Mowbray has gone. Let's move on from sticking a centre-back at right-back or right wing-back.

My point was that if our first choice right back was out, id trust Carter there more than Rankin Costello or Brown. Ideally we would sign 2 right backs. Also mid game that versatility could also be handy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Because he won't be a starter with Lenihan, Wharton, and Ayala ahead of him.

Lenihan might not be here and Ayala is a sick note. You also don't have to be a starter to get game time. I feel like you didn't read my post apart from the bit you quoted as I already addressed all of this.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Carter has improved whilst at Portsmouth? Or even it being possible that he could improve even further?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Carter has improved whilst at Portsmouth? Or even it being possible that he could improve even further?

If you look how we have improved other teams young centre halves I don't see why not

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, goozburger said:

If it's Farke or Carvalhal, I think Lenihan will sign.

Ayala is a sick note. In winter. That won't matter during summer when he's fit as a fiddle.

See above. See above.

It's at least as likely, probably more, that we get a crap manager.

Oh good thing we don't play any games, let alone the most intensive part of our season, in the winter then. Oh wait...

So we aren't going to bring new players in until we have a new manager in place. As we also have no head of recruitment (which will be even lower priority than a manager) then nobody will be looking at players.

July is going to be a scramble in the bargain basement or just promote more youngsters.

It is going to be yet another Venky shitshow.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue
  • Like 3

If Lenihan goes as he well might we are stuck with an ageing Ayala, who plays when he feels like it, and Wharton. If the new guy plays 4 at the back with 2 centre halves , unlikely in todays game, we’ll need 4 guys who can all play there. If he plays with 3 centre halves we’ll need 5 players who can do a job there. Centre halves get injured and more to the point get cards.

Keeping Carter makes sense to me.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5