BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

You can't blame BBD, if he stays for another 12 months we might get nothing for him. He will be in the free transfer category. He is hot property at the moment and you can't blame players wanting to play in the top flight while there still in their prime.

To tell the truth, if we get good money for Ben, I wouldn't be too bothered if he does go. Rather than get nothing for him at the end of next season. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Depends on who "we" are. 

The manager may get nothing either way. It is all speculation. I was just giving my opinion that I don't think Ben would be a massive loss to the team.

Edited by rigger

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

The manager may get nothing either way. It is all speculation. I was just giving my opinion that I don't think Ben would be a massive loss to the team.

He scored 37% of our goals despite missing 3 months of the season in which we couldn't score throughout that absence. He scored 22 goals, Gallagher got 9 League goals, Dolan and Khadra got 4 and Buckley only 3.

How you could possibly conclude that he would be anything other than a massive loss is beyond me.

Agree that it makes sense to sell him before his contract expires, and also I would agree with your implication that there is a chance (for me a very, very high one) that little if any of that money is reinvested.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He scored 37% of our goals despite missing 3 months of the season in which we couldn't score throughout that absence. He scored 22 goals, Gallagher got 9 League goals, Dolan and Khadra got 4 and Buckley only 3.

How you could possibly conclude that he would be anything other than a massive loss is beyond me.

Agree that it makes sense to sell him before his contract expires, and also I would agree with your implication that there is a chance (for me a very, very high one) that little if any of that money is reinvested.

Did you watch Ben previous to the first five months of this season. Which is more likely to happen, a continuation of Diaz, or a return to Ben Brereton ? He could be the same massive loss that Armstrong was this season, nobody knows.

13 minutes ago, rigger said:

Did you watch Ben previous to the first five months of this season. Which is more likely to happen, a continuation of Diaz, or a return to Ben Brereton ? He could be the same massive loss that Armstrong was this season, nobody knows.

He seems to have developed with age and maybe with confidence so it doesnt seem logical for him to revert back to what he was like a couple of years ago, his third season was a major improvement on his first 2 without being remarkable so its not been a sudden zero to hero type transformation.

Contracts and finance all put to one side, compared to the season just gone we clearly will be a massively weaker team without him, and that was shown when he was injured and we couldnt score goals in his absence.

• Like 3

Whoever we appoint as manager will indicate what sort of budget we have this season.

A Carvahal or Farke wouldn't be taking over without a decent budget especially when they will be forced to sell our top scorer.

If it's Grayson or someone like that then the budget will be minimal again.

Although I think Ainsworth could do a decent job I think if he is appointed the budget will be poor

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rigger said:

He was shit his first two seasons nobody can dispute that but I'd argue previous to joining us he had made 56 appearances for Forest by the age of 19 and did command an 8 million fee that doesn't happen if you have shown nothing.

He will be a huge loss and our wage limit will mean a gamble replacing him even if the owners are prepared to pay a significant fee to replace him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Ahh yes, 'nobody knows' - the basis of all solid transfer policies.

• Backroom

BBD is an odd one. A lot of his key runs and goals this season often seemed more clumsy and fortunate than clinical, but at the same time you simply don't score 20+ goals by accident. Confidence and an all around improvement in his game made him twice the player he had been for us in previous seasons, and I don't think what he's gained this season in that regard would vanish. Losing our top goalscorer for the second season in a row would be a big blow, and there isn't really anyone at the club ready to step up into that position. Even if you think SG could be the answer (I don't), you have to factor his 9 goals in on top of Brereton's contribution to replace what we'd lose. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DE. said:

BBD is an odd one. A lot of his key runs and goals this season often seemed more clumsy and fortunate than clinical, but at the same time you simply don't score 20+ goals by accident. Confidence and an all around improvement in his game made him twice the player he had been for us in previous seasons, and I don't think what he's gained this season in that regard would vanish. Losing our top goalscorer for the second season in a row would be a big blow, and there isn't really anyone at the club ready to step up into that position. Even if you think SG could be the answer (I don't), you have to factor his 9 goals in on top of Brereton's contribution to replace what we'd lose. 

I actually think that his finishing has gone from being wild to being very clinical and technically good. I think back to his second at home to Peterborough, his goal at Peterborough, his first v Cardiff and his goal at Bristol City all come to mind. Mind you, he has got his fair share of penalties and tap ins to get the numbers up as any goalscorer needs.

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Heard a name to watch out for this summer (granted I'm not sure how this can even be possible with no manager), and one who will certainly divide opinion...

Ben Pearson.

I can't see any transfer links at the moment being right considering we have no manager. But Pearson will have already been on a decent wage at Bournemouth prior to a hike following promotion, I can't see how that deal could ever happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Heard a name to watch out for this summer (granted I'm not sure how this can even be possible with no manager), and one who will certainly divide opinion...

Ben Pearson.

Hated him in North End shirt ….uncompromising, lots of gamesmanship, niggly  ….but he knows how to win .. 
Just what we need …

41 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ben Pearson.

Would crawl over shattered glass that was on fire for him. A winner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

He's not an odd one really - it's confidence, pure and simple. He's always been a talented player. 

The crowd got on his back when he first arrived (the players can hear the tuts and sighs when they lose the ball). They expected the finished product at 19 due to the transfer fee.

The COVID season behind closed doors did him absolute wonders. The Chile call up was the cherry on top. He WANTS the ball now, rather than hiding away from it after one bad touch. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s the issue. If the Armstrong sale is anything to go by it’ll mean nothing for the new manager to spend 

Didn't we have a massive black hole in the FFP budget due to spending £18m on three strikers? Gallagher, Armstrong and Brereton. 

That's not even factoring in the money thrown away on Smallwood's 12 extra months, Gladwin's rehab, Ayala, Pears et al. 

They're absolutely bonkers owners, but they throw £20m at us every year - I don't think they were the reason the Armstrong money had to be used to fill that calculation. 

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's not an odd one really - it's confidence, pure and simple. He's always been a talented player. 

The crowd got on his back when he first arrived (the players can hear the tuts and sighs when they lose the ball). They expected the finished product at 19 due to the transfer fee.

The COVID season behind closed doors did him absolute wonders. The Chile call up was the cherry on top. He WANTS the ball now, rather than hiding away from it after one bad touch. 

Let's be fair.  A talented 19 year old would show glimpses here and there. Brereton was really poor 😂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Didn't we have a massive black hole in the FFP budget due to spending £18m on three strikers? Gallagher, Armstrong and Brereton. 

That's not even factoring in the money thrown away on Smallwood's 12 extra months, Gladwin's rehab, Ayala, Pears et al. 

They're absolutely bonkers owners, but they throw £20m at us every year - I don't think they were the reason the Armstrong money had to be used to fill that calculation. 

"Throw £20m at as every year" is not a reasonable summary of what happens. Taking the actual amount as gospel, it implies that the money is injected as a means of ambition, when in fact it is common place across the Championship that teams make losses and have to offset them via debt or more likely issues of share capital.

I dont get why so many naturally assume that the sole limiting factor is FFP, as if Venkys deserve the benefit of the doubt to assume that otherwise they would be investing more. Take the example of the pitch, they chose not to invest 2m to re-lay it but that was exempt of FFP.

4 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Wouldn't mind taking a few from Luton if they don't go up .

Bree

Mpanzu

Cornick 

Quite alot of good free agents available from the championship. 

Why would they come here? Luton finished 6th, its not even as if we offer more money anymore.

23 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It isnt just confidence, he has clearly developed technically and physically. He uses his body which has naturally filled out much better, he wins fouls, he holds it up, he does so much more.

But I really dont like this idea that the fans expected the finished product. They didnt but what was on show was a player who for 2 years looked so out of place, the fans were remarkably patient in my opinion.