BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Next 7: What Mowbray needs to change, how many points will be needed?

We have 7 games left of the season which 3 are home games(in blue) and 4 away games(in red). 

Saturday 2nd April Coventry 3pm kick off

Saturday 9th April Blackpool 3pm kick off

Friday 15th April Peterborough United 3 pm kick off

Monday 18th April Stoke City 3 pm Kick off

Saturday 23th April Preston North End 3pm kick off

Saturday 30th April Bournemouth 3 pm Kick off

Saturday 7th May Birmingham City 12.30 pm kick off

Tactical approach for the next 7 games

I think Mowbray need to drop this 3 at the back formation and we need to go back to playing 4-2-3-1 formation and start pressing high which we have stop doing and play of the front foot. The 3 at the back formation isn't working anymore in terms of attacking and defending in terms of clean sheets. Hopefully the international break has come at the right time where we can reset and re focus again with Mowbray accepting he needs to change tactics and the fact back 3 isn't working.

So this would be my line up for the Coventry game

Kaminski

Lenihan Van Hecke Wharton Pickering

Travis  Rothwell

Dolan           Dack            Giles

Brereton

How many points will we need for playoff place

I think we need 15 points minimum to reach them maybe 1 or 2 points more. But The players and manager need to be switch on for these next 7 games. 

I don't see any way out of this as the players are not there up front.  IMO he can change the formation but at the end of the day there is nobody of any quality to put the ball in the net.  Need BBD back and Dack immediately to have a slight chance. I actually think the performances have been generally ok but with nobody to score people look at the score and say ''we played shite''.   Sheffield United away was a good performance but a crap result for example.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have 7 games left of the season which 3 are home games(in blue) and 4 away games(in red). 

I think Mowbray need to drop this 3 at the back formation and we need to go back to playing 4-2-3-1 formation and start pressing high which we have stop doing and play of the front foot. The 3 at the back formation isn't working anymore in terms of attacking and defending in terms of clean sheets. Hopefully the international break has come at the right time where we can reset and re focus again with Mowbray accepting he needs to change tactics and the fact back 3 isn't working.

Kaminski

Travis  Rothwell

Brereton

I think we need 15 points minimum to reach them maybe 1 or 2 points more. But The players and manager need to be switch on for these next 7 games. 

Rothwell’s lucky to get in that team. He’s a luxury player. 

There will be plenty of posts on this thread about how it’s all over. And personally I see us finishing about 9th, just not enough quality, bottle or managerial flexibility for me.

However, in the quest for balance, the international break has come at the right time. We need to re-group in April, with hopefully a post South America unscathed and relativity fit BBD.

We’ve seen these post Christmas death spirals time and again, and we often rebound with a decent April… all is *just about* not lost, but we’ve certainly lost any margin for error.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski

Travis  Rothwell

Brereton

Four at the back is right but doubts on both Dack and Brereton starting due to fitness.

Having said that Dack is getting better and if they work him right over next two weeks, expect a competitive friendly is set up, he's the best we have. Brereton is focused on world cup dreams, can't knock him for that, but situation is not ideal. If Brereton not ready for 90mins I wouldn't want to start Gallagher so bring in Buckley on the right and move Dolan up front who will give everything he has.

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think he is luxury player at all, He has the quality we need and can get box to box which others can't

Players come in two types - the ones that get you on top in a game, and the ones that do their stuff when the first group have got you into the game.

Rothwell belongs in the second group. What’s he done since Xmas ? How many goals ? How many assists. If he’s not doing those things what’s he in the team for ? Putting in a couple of runs that don’t lead to anything won’t do it for me.

Unfortunately we’re really short of players that belong in the first group. That’s why on current form we’re are more bottom six than top six material.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

No excuse not to go for it after the international break, what have we got to lose now ?

We were second but that's gone, we'll be out the top 6 probably before long so just bloody roll the sleeves up and go for it. If we finish 9th we finish 9th but at least they'll have tried. 

There's usually a good run at this time of year when the beach is in sight and players are trying to catch the eye of other clubs. Surely they won't deprive us of that as well.

mowbray won`t change anything,he`ll just hope that it gets better,if he ignores a balanced team set up like the 2nd half of the derby game then there is no hope.in tony`s world,he`s right and everyone else is wrong,the players looked totally confused yesterday,rothwell especially looked ***** off,unsurprisingly because he had to collect the ball from the centre backs time and time again,it completely nullifies his good points imo,the team set up made the pitch look massive to me,reading were finding space everywhere and our manager didn`t do a ****** thing to change it,we were so lacking in midfield reading were running through us

• Like 1

As for the questions

What does Mowbray need to do ? Stay at home and let whoever sorted things out at half time against Derby have a go for the rest of the season

How many points? all depends on other teams but at a guess a minimum of 15 to have a chance, although head says we will get 10 at a max..

One thing I do know though is the challenge as been laid down to create the longest thread title in BRFCS history 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If we are going to go with 4 at the back, it would be remiss not to start our only competent right back, surely?

I think the chances are minimal.

Explained my thoughts on Lenihan playing right back in the Reading Match day thread yesterday. 

We have a chance of getting playoffs if we ditch this back 3 and start playing with back 4, 2 wingers and Dack off Brereton or Gallagher. 

The championship is so unpredictable and they will be plenty of twists and turns involving teams challenging for those playoffs places

Going four at the back is the absolute last thing I’d do. Mowbray needs to get his best 11 fit and on the field as quick as possible:

Kaminski

Lenihan JVH Wharton

Nyambe Rothwell Travis Giles

Khadra Dack Brereton 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

Going four at the back is the absolute last thing I’d do. Mowbray needs to get his best 11 fit and on the field as quick as possible:

Kaminski

Lenihan JVH Wharton

Nyambe Rothwell Travis Giles

Khadra Dack Brereton 

Couldn’t agree more. If it needs “freshening up” at any point we can switch Khadra for Dolan.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I find it slightly bizarre that anyone thinks we can still make the play offs and/or is discussing how many points it would theoretically take when we haven't even scored a goal in the last seven away games!

I think we can still make the play-offs

8 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

As for the questions

What does Mowbray need to do ? Stay at home and let whoever sorted things out at half time against Derby have a go for the rest of the season

How many points? all depends on other teams but at a guess a minimum of 15 to have a chance, although head says we will get 10 at a max..

One thing I do know though is the challenge as been laid down to create the longest thread title in BRFCS history 🙂

One thing I do know though is the challenge as been laid down to create the longest thread title in BRFCS history

This one would be even longer if it was spelt correctly

• Like 3

• J*B changed the title to The Next 7: What Mowbray needs to change, how many points will be needed?
On 20/03/2022 at 11:45, chaddyrovers said:

That is the easiest play off chasing run in that is possible. All mid table bar 1 Vs weakest club in the division and only 1 Vs top 6 opponents. Realistic we couldn't ask for a better run in. 

Forget it being criminal we didn't secure playoffs from where we were at the turn of the year, that run in is as kind as it gets and it would be criminal to not secure it based on these alone.