BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

Mowbray should have been given some Armstrong money to reinvest, he should have been allowed to sell Rothwell too, that could have made the difference last season.

He couldn't have the 10 million from Armstrong sale since it went towards FFP requirements. 

I tell you two things that would have made a difference.

1, switch formation to 4-2-3-1 instead of his stubbornly sticking to a formation that wasn't working. I was saying this for weeks before he did it. Maybe Mowbray should have realised this but the same old stubborn Mowbray was here. 

2. Play Giles in his correct position and stop trying to turn into Mahrez. 

Thank god this 🤡 has left our club. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was going to post a long anti Mowbray ramble but fuck it. He's gone, ain't coming back so a waste of time.

I am comforted that he obviously misses Rovers much much more that we miss him.

Any Rovers staff who want to join a piece of shit ... Well, just do one.

Only reason i comment is there's a Sunderland news thing keeps popping up on my facebook and on a daily basis i see Mowbrays comments identical to here just different names inserted. Every other day he mentions Rovers one way or another so it's hard to avoid attention still being drawn to him.

I keep waiting for the odd skeleton or snippet to pop up from his time here which they already have and will again. I had his card marked all along here as in him being a very crafty old sod who knew how to work the room. There's an edge to him that isn't humble at all he just has a good way of covering it whilst sliding in the odd veiled digs and insults. 

He was hurt by the way things panned out here which in a way is understandable but at the end of the day that was down to him and the owners, not the fans or the club.  His ego must be the most brittle in football though and if things turned sour up there he'd walk not sit it out like he did at little old Rovers because he could get away with it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

In other words 'i'm a great manager but had no backing so couldn't push them on' 

Still full of shit he's going through his full repertoire up there now on a daily basis but doesn't explain why he was on the scrapheap when Rovers plucked him up.

He's right about reinvestment but the other side of the coin is he had great backing from the owners under the circumstances. And he was NEVER forced to sell one player so you can't have it all ways when working under tight conditions.

I don't think the owners ever said "and by the way Tony you're not allowed to buy any defenders" !!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

So none of our downside was Tonys fault, what a plonker.  He had miney to spend in January when we were 2nd and he and only he chose not to. Remember the "we din't play that way" line as a readon not to sign a striker and that was nit the first time he CHOSE not to spend.

Edited by USABlue

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

Mowbray should have been given some Armstrong money to reinvest, he should have been allowed to sell Rothwell too, that could have made the difference last season.

Anyway we're now on another journey, I'm sure we'll be having the same conversation in 2yrs time when the board turns against JDT, in fact its already started.

Yeah and if we had sold Rothwell and still fell away you would have been on here blasting the owners for cashing in on Rothwell to a direct rival in the promotion chase 

The biggest two reasons we fell away last season was the fitness of Brererton and Mowbray's stubbornness not because the owners refused to sell Rothwell

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Yeah and if we had sold Rothwell and still fell away you would have been on here blasting the owners for cashing in on Rothwell to a direct rival in the promotion chase 

The biggest two reasons we fell away last season was the fitness of Brererton and Mowbray's stubbornness not because the owners refused to sell Rothwell

What absolute rubbish 😄

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I don't think the owners ever said "and by the way Tony you're not allowed to buy any defenders" !!

I never went with the theory they gave him 6 million and said he had to sign an investment player only rather than buy a couple of oven ready players.  That was him and his gang looking for projects to carry on their journey rather than heap pressure on themselves putting together a squad for the top 6.

• Backroom

I have my reservations about the owners, as we all have, BUT I believe the numbers surrounding FFP do show that Mowbray was given every penny that Venkys could allow him to spend.

It's also true that in the last two windows, money was there going unspent, and that's from Mowbray's own mouth.

He's a man full of excuses when it doesn't go his way. I have no issue with his struggling to push on. All managers hit that point eventually but his retconning guff is just annoying.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

Anyway we're now on another journey, I'm sure we'll be having the same conversation in 2yrs time when the board turns against JDT, in fact its already started.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blimey they back him every season. Last season no he didn't get the Armstrong money but he has to understand that money was needed for FFP. Plus he still had Gallagher and Brereton who cost 12 million. If he was so unhappy he could have walk away couldn't he? I'm bored of listening and reading his comments now. His Stuart Harvey's comments riled me more than this article but I see these latest comments as his saving face then anything. He failed to mention that it was his fault why we went from second to 8th in 3 months, wasted Giles, wouldn't changes his tactics that wasn't working in the last 3 months. 

For many the red mist comes over as soon as Mowbray says a word. All he has done here is complimented the club regarding both its history and its academy and questioned Venkys on not allowing reinvestment like many of us have done.

Ironically, chaddy was his biggest cheerleader up until a month or two before his departure. If you are so bored of reading about him, why do you anyway? Your first two sentences are contradictory.

He is probably somewhat saving face, all managers say the same worn out phrases including Tomasson. We all wanted Mowbray out and he has gone but his quotes about what is left (ie the academy and the owners) tally with what many of us think and had it been anyone else he would have been agreed with.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

What absolute rubbish 😄

Course it is Gav.

Mowbray could have brought a forward player in in January, instead he decided to use Ryan Giles a lwb as a rwf.Is that the owners fault too.

Agreed with you many times we have shit owners difference is I don't use them as an excuse for some of  Mowbrays shocking decisions.

Oh and I do believe you would have been on here being critical of the owners if we had sold one of our better performers first half of last season to the team sitting in third while we were in second place

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For many the red mist comes over as soon as Mowbray says a word. All he has done here is complimented the club regarding both its history and its academy and questioned Venkys on not allowing reinvestment like many of us have done.

Ironically, chaddy was his biggest cheerleader up until a month or two before his departure. If you are so bored of reading about him, why do you anyway? Your first two sentences are contradictory.

He is probably somewhat saving face, all managers say the same worn out phrases including Tomasson. We all wanted Mowbray out and he has gone but his quotes about what is left (ie the academy and the owners) tally with what many of us think and had it been anyone else he would have been agreed with.

He could have brought in a forward in January instead he used a lwb as a forward.

On my previous post you ignored the part about the backing Mowbray had previous to Armstrong being sold. 

What paid for the signings we made this summer?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No, he hasn't. He has spoken about advising our head of recruitment Stuart Harvey to move to Sunderland whilst he is Rovers head coach. Is that complimenting the club by advising employees to leave here? is that a natural thing for a head coach to do? really?

Also, his comments make it out like he walked away from Rovers but the truth of it Rovers and owners wouldn't give him a new contract, and this was right for us to do. His time here is done now, but he is still bitter that we didn't offer him a contract during that good spell. 

It's doesn't matter whether I was a fan of his time, but I was still saying on here for weeks that his 3-4-3 formation wasn't working, and you defend it and him every time. It was clear to me that him and his tactics needed to change for us to achieve a playoff place at very least., but down his stubbornness and incompetence we didn't make the playoffs. That on him in the main. 

The owners gave him money to spend money in the last 2 transfer windows and he didn't spend it. Mike E has posted this, and others have in the past.  Maybe Mowbray should have spent all of his budget in the transfer window and maybe we might have done better. 

Yes, Mowbray did some good things for Rovers but the successful of our academy is down to lots of people at the club including him, Stuart Jones, Mike Sheron and several other behind the scenes Plus the owners keep funding it and keeping our Cat 1 status every season, they have been here. It isn't solely down to Mowbray and has we have seen this season, JDT and GB have put more faith in our promising players and promoted them to the first team squad like Jack Vale, Adam Wharton and Ash Phillips. Plus, Sam Barnes, Jake Batty and Jake Garrett being part of the first team squad this season. 

2 hours ago, Gav said:

What absolute rubbish 😄

Look at how many times in the last 3 months of last season that the 3-4-3 formation didn't work and he kept having to change it during a game but he wouldn't start with the formation he kept changing to. Ever wonder why he wouldn't? for me, 2 reasons which are his stubbornness to admitted he was wrong and incompetence. 

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

He could have brought in a forward in January instead he used a lwb as a forward.

On my previous post you ignored the part about the backing Mowbray had previous to Armstrong being sold. 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No, he hasn't. He has spoken about advising our head of recruitment Stuart Harvey to move to Sunderland whilst he is Rovers head coach. Is that complimenting the club by advising employees to leave here? is that a natural thing for a head coach to do? really?

Also, his comments make it out like he walked away from Rovers but the truth of it Rovers and owners wouldn't give him a new contract, and this was right for us to do. His time here is done now, but he is still bitter that we didn't offer him a contract during that good spell. 

It's doesn't matter whether I was a fan of his time, but I was still saying on here for weeks that his 3-4-3 formation wasn't working, and you defend it and him every time. It was clear to me that him and his tactics needed to change for us to achieve a playoff place at very least., but down his stubbornness and incompetence we didn't make the playoffs. That on him in the main. 

The owners gave him money to spend money in the last 2 transfer windows and he didn't spend it. Mike E has posted this, and others have in the past.  Maybe Mowbray should have spent all of his budget in the transfer window and maybe we might have done better. 

Yes, Mowbray did some good things for Rovers but the successful of our academy is down to lots of people at the club including him, Stuart Jones, Mike Sheron and several other behind the scenes Plus the owners keep funding it and keeping our Cat 1 status every season, they have been here. It isn't solely down to Mowbray and has we have seen this season, JDT and GB have put more faith in our promising players and promoted them to the first team squad like Jack Vale, Adam Wharton and Ash Phillips. Plus, Sam Barnes, Jake Batty and Jake Garrett being part of the first team squad this season. 

Look at how many times in the last 3 months of last season that the 3-4-3 formation didn't work and he kept having to change it during a game but he wouldn't start with the formation he kept changing to. Ever wonder why he wouldn't? for me, 2 reasons which are his stubbornness to admitted he was wrong and incompetence. 

You both are going off on massive tangents. My point was merely that Mowbray complimented the history of the club and the academy, and also like many of us questioned the owners with a fact about the lack of post Armstrong funding thrown in. None of that warrants the angry reaction from many on here which supports the conclusion that Mowbray could literally say anything and wind up lots of our fans now. 

Also, the bit in bold, it doesn't wash.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You both are going off on massive tangents. My point was merely that Mowbray complimented the history of the club and the academy, and also like many of us questioned the owners with a fact about the lack of post Armstrong funding thrown in. None of that warrants the angry reaction from many on here which supports the conclusion that Mowbray could literally say anything and wind up lots of our fans now. 

Also, the bit in bold, it doesn't wash.

Money was spent this summer with no sales coming in.

Unlike you I believe a good portion of the Armstrong fee was needed to stave off failing Ffp.

Mowbrays interviews are bull shit if be was that unhappy he could have walked not openly admitting that he would have signed a new contract last January if offered one.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Darragh Lenihan's 4yrs contract: 4*52*(24k*1.14<NI>) = £5.7m 

Calculation borrowed from Mercer 👍

Edited by Gav

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Money was spent this summer with no sales coming in.

Unlike you I believe a good portion of the Armstrong fee was needed to stave off failing Ffp.

Mowbrays interviews are bull shit if be was that unhappy he could have walked not openly admitting that he would have signed a new contract last January if offered one.

Like any manager at any point, there is an element of saving face, a desire to defend himself and make himself look better. Not really arsed about that side of it.

Point being, what he said was either true or complimentary, yet you and others allowed it to cause you to get really wound up.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

That's reaching more than a bit.

I'll take Broughton's on his word that the owners have backed him on everything he asked of them, within FFP rules.

And they certainly backed Mowbray during his time here. TM could do with moving on and letting go.

He left on relatively good terms, despite the annual death spirals and these constant little snidey remarks about the club that paid him handsomely for 5 years is only making him look like a dick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Hyam looks every bit as good as Lenihen and he will be on far less than the 22k per week Lenihen was offered.

Iv agreed it was ridiculous we didn't get a transfer fee for any of the 3 that left for free but money was spent this summer regardless.We had one of the higher net spends in the division.

We also kept Brererton which was the correct thing to do when we weren't even getting offers of £10 million.

• Like 1