BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

That won't be a popular view on here but it's a legitimate one. This time next season, after 12 months of turmoil with Rovers relegated back to to League One, we could be harking back to the halcyon days under Mowbray. It's not inconceivable and although I think his time is up, sometimes it's better the devil you know. In most cases, hiring a new manager is a gamble and like playing cards - do you stick or twist? 

i agree entirely with this but would add the point that sooner or later Mowbray is going to leave and we are going to have to face this risk.

If i was putting money on it and there was a market for such things I would be going with a similar thing to what happened when Lambert left. Cheap desperate appointment, extremely limited funds for new players and a season long relegation battle.

I desperately hope I am wrong on that and that they for once show some ambition and have learned but I just can't see it given the silence from the owners and boardroom and business we've done over the last 18 months. It is quite clear to me funding has been cut right back.

So yes, quite easily we could be here this time next year thinking top half Championship and complaining about Mowbray's tactics and substitutions were the good old days.

But we are going to have to tackle this possibility at some point.. I don't accept that allowing Mowbray to continue indefinitely just out of fear of his replacement being worse is an acceptable position to take. At least as we are we have to hope that with a summer ahead and time to address this that it is the best time to make a change, rather than Mowbray walking away or being sacked mid season. The bloke looks worn down by it all and if there's any basis to his 'family man' routine he could easily pack in at any time, or get an offer from elsewhere he fancies taking.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The current situation has got a lot of parallels with when Bowyer left. Manager did okay - not brilliant, not terrible.

Look at where the managers Venkys hired ended up. Bowyer has found his level at Salford City for example.

Appleton has managed in the lower leagues. Keeping them would have eventually brought us to that level. I agree Mowbray is better than that but not massively. He could never take us up and he certainly couldn't keep us up.

5+ years is long enough.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Did you see the Netflix documentary on Sunderland? There were scenes when he was speaking in front of the team and the players looked really bored. He didn't come across as very inspiring at all.

Yes...no way can he come here...he can't talk properly and is a shit manager....

7 minutes ago, den said:

👍

Exactly why this idea of long term plans is garbage. Players come and go on a yearly basis, hardly anyone - including the manager hangs around that long. You can’t “build” anything unless you’re in the few top clubs in the country who can keep hold of players.

No. For me, when a manager comes to a club like Rovers and talks about building the club slowly, he’s basically giving himself time and giving himself some protection. Do players want to hear that kind of thing? I doubt that as well.

Please, give us a manager who wants to be successful from day one - and demands that from his players as well. Of course it might not work out, but at least it would show a bit of ambition. Every manager can be ambitious, wherever they are. Long term plans at this level are a get out clause.

I'm all for a manager building slowly at Rovers - just y'know, actually build something. 

Mowbray has talked about slowly building something, but looking at his squad (and the departures in the summer), he's clearly just wining it from season to season. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, den said:

👍

Exactly why this idea of long term plans is garbage. Players come and go on a yearly basis, hardly anyone - including the manager hangs around that long. You can’t “build” anything unless you’re in the few top clubs in the country who can keep hold of players.

No. For me, when a manager comes to a club like Rovers and talks about building the club slowly, he’s basically giving himself time and giving himself some protection. Do players want to hear that kind of thing? I doubt that as well.

Please, give us a manager who wants to be successful from day one - and demands that from his players as well. Of course it might not work out, but at least it would show a bit of ambition. Every manager can be ambitious, wherever they are. Long term plans at this level are a get out clause.

Spot on den.

I pointed this out some years ago. All this talk of journeys and long term plans was to deflect away from the lack of obvious progress in the here and now and that we would all wake up some years later to find we were no better off than when we started.

Well here we are. Mowbray has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes for long enough. Unbelievably some people still seem to be taken in by it all, worrying about what will happen when he leaves.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

That won't be a popular view on here but it's a legitimate one. This time next season, after 12 months of turmoil with Rovers relegated back to to League One, we could be harking back to the halcyon days under Mowbray. 

If that did happen, it would be partly down to the state Mowbray has left us in anyway.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

BTW folks & @Bbrovers2288, if it is DiMatteo, you heard it here first! 😉

Di Matteo has been out of football far too long now and similar to Roy Keane being suggested on here. Football has moved on and we need a manager who knows this league and has promotion on his CV surely if our ambition is promotion in the next 2 to 3 seasons? 

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

i agree entirely with this but would add the point that sooner or later Mowbray is going to leave and we are going to have to face this risk.

If i was putting money on it and there was a market for such things I would be going with a similar thing to what happened when Lambert left. Cheap desperate appointment, extremely limited funds for new players and a season long relegation battle.

I desperately hope I am wrong on that and that they for once show some ambition and have learned but I just can't see it given the silence from the owners and boardroom and business we've done over the last 18 months. It is quite clear to me funding has been cut right back.

So yes, quite easily we could be here this time next year thinking top half Championship and complaining about Mowbray's tactics and substitutions were the good old days.

But we are going to have to tackle this possibility at some point.. I don't accept that allowing Mowbray to continue indefinitely just out of fear of his replacement being worse is an acceptable position to take. At least as we are we have to hope that with a summer ahead and time to address this that it is the best time to make a change, rather than Mowbray walking away or being sacked mid season. The bloke looks worn down by it all and if there's any basis to his 'family man' routine he could easily pack in at any time, or get an offer from elsewhere he fancies taking.

Can I asked why you think appoint Ainsworth is a risk too much to take but you would support us appoint Liam Manning as Mowbray's replacement who has no Promotion on his CV? 

11 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

I feel like I'm in the minority thinking we'd have been much better just offering Mowbray a deal. Whether most agree or disagree that he's done a decent job, the general consensus outside the club is he has performed miracles and has some value. Yet we are letting him walk away and every name I have seen linked (possibly barring Farke) is hardly mouth watering. 

If there is a plan in place then I'd be amazed. Mowbray's warning today in the LT speaks volumes to me. Basically the club are about to get royally fucked and it's future back in the hands of the madhouse. Looks like I'm back to the sleepless nights we suffered years ago. Steady progress was fine for me. 

Mowbray's hasn't spoken to the owners for months and Waggott is just a yes man, so how would Mowbray know much? Is Suhail Pasha and Waggott going to tell Mowbray anything. 

I respect you for you posting that you would give Mowbray a new contract. I have supported Mowbray for most of his time but I feel a massive change is needed here and we need a new manager with new coaching staff if we ever want PL football back here cos Mowbray has had 4 years here and never achieved it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on den.

I pointed this out some years ago. All this talk of journeys and long term plans was to deflect away from the lack of obvious progress in the here and now and that we would all wake up some years later to find we were no better off than when we started.

Well here we are. Mowbray has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes for long enough. Unbelievably some people still seem to be taken in by it all, worrying about what will happen when he leaves.

Funny, you could say exactly the same about Venky's

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I have the same concerns as @patrickvalery. I absolutely dread what is to come, as inevitable as change is. Even if Farke is appointed, I could see another Lambert scenario arising.

When we're asking ourselves "Have Venkys learned anything?" over a decade after they took over, the answer is obvious to me. This, in spite of some noises about there being "change" and something exciting on the horizon. Heard it all before. Don't believe a word of it.

Wish I felt different, but I don't. I'd be hedging my bets on us feeling much worse about the club this time next year than we do now.

I don't think Venky's ever fully trusted Lambert after he wouldn't come here and be Rovers manager until Venkys agreed to his demand of a release clause in the contract. I also think Lambert never trusted the Venkys either. 

19 minutes ago, den said:

👍

It make take a couple of years to build a team for promotion like Daniel Farke did at Norwich or like Carlos Corberan has done at Huddersfield. They are 4th now and last season they finish 20th. Depending on finances and the players he wants, it come take 2 or 3 transfer windows before we have side good enough to finish top 6 and got promotion. 

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pete O'Rourke @SportsPeteO: Ex-Derby County boss Phillip Cocu is in the frame to replace Tony Mowbray as Blackburn Rovers manager. #Rovers #dcfc

Probably just circulating the news from yesterday, but Pete is often on the money.

God forbid.

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I have the same concerns as @patrickvalery. I absolutely dread what is to come, as inevitable as change is. Even if Farke is appointed, I could see another Lambert scenario arising.

When we're asking ourselves "Have Venkys learned anything?" over a decade after they took over, the answer is obvious to me. This, in spite of some noises about there being "change" and something exciting on the horizon. Heard it all before. Don't believe a word of it.

Wish I felt different, but I don't. I'd be hedging my bets on us feeling much worse about the club this time next year than we do now.

It's such an unambitious viewpoint though.

If we are so nervous for any sort of change we may as well stop now, put the club into admin and find a new club.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pete O'Rourke @SportsPeteO: Ex-Derby County boss Phillip Cocu is in the frame to replace Tony Mowbray as Blackburn Rovers manager. #Rovers #dcfc

Probably just circulating the news from yesterday, but Pete is often on the money.

He will be the shortlist but I think he just wouldn't the same type of appointment for me. 

I also think Lee Johnson, former Bristol City and Sunderland boss will be on the 6 man shortlist(just a feeling)

I think the 6 man shortlist will be Daniel Farke, Gareth Ainsworth, Phillip Cocu, Lee Johnson, Mark Warburton and David Unsworth. I think these 6 will be interviewed for the Rovers manager/head coach job here to replace Mowbray with

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

That won't be a popular view on here but it's a legitimate one. This time next season, after 12 months of turmoil with Rovers relegated back to to League One, we could be harking back to the halcyon days under Mowbray. It's not inconceivable and although I think his time is up, sometimes it's better the devil you know. In most cases, hiring a new manager is a gamble and like playing cards - do you stick or twist? 

There’s absolutely nothing to say that we wouldn’t be relegated next season under Mowbray - and it would have been his fault.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I love these random pearls of wisdom, absolute garbage, the only wool being pulled over anyones eyes is the job you’re failing to do for Venkys, people see through it both on here and in the ground.

Cocu is just the type of appointment Venkys could make, you’ll be happy when he walks through the door I assume?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He will be the shortlist but I think he just wouldn't the same type of appointment for me. 

I also think Lee Johnson, former Bristol City and Sunderland boss will be on the 6 man shortlist(just a feeling)

I think the 6 man shortlist will be Daniel Farke, Gareth Ainsworth, Phillip Cocu, Lee Johnson, Mark Warburton and David Unsworth. I think these 6 will be interviewed for the Rovers manager/head coach job here to replace Mowbray with

Who the worst appointment there ? Get your money on them.

• Like 2

Just now, Gav said:

I love these random pearls of wisdom, absolute garbage, the only wool being pulled over anyones eyes is the job you’re failing to do for Venkys, people see through it both on here and in the ground.

Cocu is just the type of appointment Venkys could make, you’ll be happy when he walks through the door I assume?

Cocu would be the end for me. Nothing would convince me that the demolition of Rovers isn’t deliberate in that case.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Another reason to resolve quickly is so @chaddyroversdoesn't need to spend nearly every moment he's awake on this MB and he can relax and enjoy summer! 

very unfair comment there Mercer.

Lets hope its resolve quickly to we don't have to read your predictions anymore that very rarely come true tbh. Like Allardyce to Burnley to replace Dyche, didn't happen. Mowbray to WBA, didn't happen. Alex Neil come here, didn't happen. Your latest one, Mowbray won't be in charge for the Birmingham away game, lets see if this one comes true?

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Screenshot_20220503-120044_Twitter.jpg

Are they completely insane ? It’ll be like Coyle all over again only Cocu hasn’t got as many fuck ups to his name yet.

It’s like I said the other day - have a good look at that long list of potential candidates and then try and find a name that isn’t on it. That’s their man. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces