BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nah i'm not one of the faux itk gang however i do know you've spent the last 12 months trumpeting Phil Brown be careful what you wish for. 

Just thought i'd ask for an update.

Bullshit.

I mentioned him once as a joke, in relation to the Coyle appointment, you mentioned Mike Gregory and Alan Smith, got an update?

Edited by Gav

I heard a decent rumour that Manning had been interviewed for the job. That was at least 2 weeks ago, I put a bet on him at 33/1 and since then his name has barely been mentioned.

It would be an intriguing one but after dangling the likes of Farke and Carvalhal, and talk about 'big names' being interested and the shortlist being expanded I would probably be underwhelmed if it was him.

I suspect they are trying to find a candidate who won't require bringing in 3-4 staff with them which is the reason for the added names on the list as they start to scrape the barrel for other options.

Manning would probably be one who might want an assistant but other than that would work with what we have left given he is so young and new to the job of head coach.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And the story was that Coyle contacted Barry White directly and offered his services for an alleged £2k per week, lived locally and had a coaching cabal in tow. He got the job and the rest is history. My memory still recalls the 'outstanding candidate' quote from Cheston. 

That sums up the depth of footballing knowledge we have in charge now.

And Barry said to Coyle, “You’re the first, The Last, My Everything”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Bullshit.

I mentioned him once as a joke, in relation to the Coyle appointment, you mentioned Mike Gregory and Alan Smith, got an update?

You mentioned him more than once in your defense of Mowbray, don't be back tracking now big man stick to your guns. You've given other people enough stick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I heard a decent rumour that Manning had been interviewed for the job. That was at least 2 weeks ago, I put a bet on him at 33/1 and since then his name has barely been mentioned.

It would be an intriguing one but after dangling the likes of Farke and Carvalhal, and talk about 'big names' being interested and the shortlist being expanded I would probably be underwhelmed if it was him.

I suspect they are trying to find a candidate who won't require bringing in 3-4 staff with them which is the reason for the added names on the list as they start to scrape the barrel for other options.

Manning would probably be one who might want an assistant but other than that would work with what we have left given he is so young and new to the job of head coach.

The odds are perfect going off previous let field appointments and they always wanted this type of coach.  I think they only went down the experienced route out of sheer desperation.

One to watch for sure.

Yeah. For all the talk about big names and Carvalhal, and as much as I'd like it to come to fruition, I just can't see someone like that ticking the Venky boxes.

Carvalhal is in a position of strength in that he doesn't need the Rovers job and he could easily get similar or better elsewhere if he waited. They don't like that.

They've always desired a younger end coach seemingly with one eye on player development, and I think that Manning will be at the forefront of their thoughts there. In addition to this, because he is a relative unknown entity rather than one of the boring old names, much of the fanbase will buy into such an appointment.

It will be cheaper and easier than getting one of the big names, and track record suggests that's what they like here.

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You mentioned him more than once in your defense of Mowbray, don't be back tracking now big man stick to your guns. You've given other people enough stick.

Has he had a better offer?  🤣😉

https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2022/may/120522-barrow-afc-end-contract-talks-with-phil-brown-over-vacant-first-team-manager-position/

However, negotiations over him taking the role on a full-time basis have proved unsuccessful and the Club will now move in a different direction.

“I would like to place on record my thanks to Phil and to Neil McDonald for their efforts since coming into the Club,” commented Chairman, Paul Hornby.

Edited by Gav

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The odds are perfect going off previous let field appointments and they always wanted this type of coach.  I think they only went down the experienced route out of sheer desperation.

One to watch for sure.

53% win ratio from his 54 games at Mk. Higher ratio than the guy who has just gone to Watford from Forest Green

11CF9451-A63D-45AD-AAF7-A2A5CB920003.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yeah. For all the talk about big names and Carvalhal, and as much as I'd like it to come to fruition, I just can't see someone like that ticking the Venky boxes.

Carvalhal is in a position of strength in that he doesn't need the Rovers job and he could easily get similar or better elsewhere if he waited. They don't like that.

They've always desired a younger end coach seemingly with one eye on player development, and I think that Manning will be at the forefront of their thoughts there. In addition to this, because he is a relative unknown entity rather than one of the boring old names, much of the fanbase will buy into such an appointment.

It will be cheaper and easier than getting one of the big names, and track record suggests that's what they like here.

You could well be right here. Carvalhal would be a more expensive option and would demand to make more changes than Manning most likely. I for one would be happy with Manning, but maybe part of that would be the relief I would feel about some of the other names we would have avoided. 

• Like 3

If I were making the appointment I would want to know a lot more than I do about each candidate so I don't really have a favourite.  Even people like Farke and Carvalhal have things against them however impressive they may or may not seem.

Manning though does look, from afar, to be a pretty impressive up and coming manager and isn't necessarily just a cheap option.  He did, seemingly, well in Belgium and then at MK Dons he took over from Russell Martin (a possession obsessed coach) and pushed them on from 13th to to just missing out on automatic promotion.

He also came across well in a couple of interviews I have read.

I'm not saying he should get the job just I think he might actually be quite good.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Gav said:

https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2022/may/120522-barrow-afc-end-contract-talks-with-phil-brown-over-vacant-first-team-manager-position/

However, negotiations over him taking the role on a full-time basis have proved unsuccessful and the Club will now move in a different direction.

“I would like to place on record my thanks to Phil and to Neil McDonald for their efforts since coming into the Club,” commented Chairman, Paul Hornby.

Yeah the dole hopefully.

35 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

53% win ratio from his 54 games at Mk. Higher ratio than the guy who has just gone to Watford from Forest Green

11CF9451-A63D-45AD-AAF7-A2A5CB920003.png

Part of me suspects this is the route they were always going to go down and what those at the club will be pushing for.  Not my preferred way right now i'd love them to stump up and let someone like Carlo or Farke have a go. I think it's an opportunity not to be missed right now.

Smart money would go on another TM type or young coach though and Manning looks a decent fit for the job.

It shouldn't matter if the new head coach want to bring his own couple of staff with him like number 2 or goalkeeper coach. Most candidates will want this and should be allow this. 

Carlos Carvalhal, Daniel Farke and possible Nuno Espirto Santo should be the favourites for the head coach job if you want a head coach with championship experience. 

If you want an up and coming British head coach who has background in youth development then Liam Manning and Neil Critchley would be the obvious 2 to look at. 

Carvalhal is the one I think we should target over Farke and Nuno. I think he would be the perfect fit for our club cos if his knowledge of championship, bringing through youth at Braga and plays a style and formation that would suit our squad overall. 

I think we will make the head coach appointment in the next week and I hopefully by Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I would suggested it because their owner Paul Hornby want to move to Sporting Director and head coach structure. They appointed Peter Wild as head coach and Sporting Director Iain Wood 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Carvalhal is the one I think we should target over Farke and Nuno

The only one of the three without a recent promotion from the Championship on his CV.

I would take Carvalhal, and it would be interesting, but I don’t get the hype about him when I look at his career.

Would people be so enamoured with him if he was called Fred Bloggs?
I’ll be happy with anyone other than the obvious horror options, egs Grayson, Appleton, Pulis.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

On the 6th of February 2020 I spoke to Steve Waggott about agents involvement at Ewood. 
I explained the whole Anderson situation and the scale of his involvement. It’s probably fair to say he had an idea of the damage that had been done, but maybe not of the level of feelings and knowledge amongst the fanbase of what had gone on.

I then pointed out that HSH (‘that’s Stephen Horner’s lot?’ Waggott asked) had been responsible for putting our last 4 managers, including Mowbray in place. I pointed out the links to SEM and told him I was concerned they were still influencing things, and would definitely do so if we were to appoint a new manager.

His exact words were:

‘If and when the time comes that Tony decides to walk away, I will go to market and find the best possible person for the job.’

On the 5th May 2022 The Rovers Trust Board met with Waggott. The purpose was to discuss the Fan Led Review and our marketing prospectus. Naturally there was talk about the managers job, as it was a couple of days after Mowbray had first basically confirmed he was off.

He told us he had immediately started receiving expressions of interest, and would be conducting a thorough interview process, and he recognised the importance of getting this appointment right. He wouldn’t discuss individual names, but really our concern was more around the process. 

I again pointed out what had gone on before with HSH, and how Mike Cheston had had the rug pulled out from under him and we got lumbered with Coyle.

’After you mentioned that to me a while ago, I went and looked in to it, and you were absolutely right by the way, so thank you for that. But we can’t have agents involved like that, it’s a conflict of interest straight away…

I will interview a number of candidates. It will be a thorough process, and I will recommend who I believe is the best person for the job.’

I pressed him on what would happen if Venky’s ignored this and listened to Horner, Honeyman or Sheron instead.

’I’d have to quit. It would make my position untenable. I need to work with the manager day to day, I’d have to be behind any appointment.’

Whatever your feelings about Steve Waggott are, and I’ve had some real run ins with him over the last few years, you can’t deny that if reports are to be believed, he has so far been true to his word. We appear to have interviewed a number of candidates with some impressive and ambitious names being linked.

If we end up with another dickhead, it’ll be down to 3 people thousands of miles from Ewood. If that scenario does play out, I’d expect levels of animosity towards them to go back to peak levels. It certainly would for me.

Problem is every time Venky's make a catastrophic, two-fingers-up-at-the-fans decision it pushes more and more of our ambitious supporters away from the club. I'm guessing there was a significant aftershock from Coyle, and there would be again now if they made another ridiculous appointment. Eventually those fans who care about the club (as opposed to caring about being a fan of the club, which is a different and more insidious thing) wil be all-but-gone, and all you'll be left with is superfans arguing with each other over who is the best supporter and who can come up with the most excuses over the latest manager's failures.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

On the 6th of February 2020 I spoke to Steve Waggott about agents involvement at Ewood. 
I explained the whole Anderson situation and the scale of his involvement. It’s probably fair to say he had an idea of the damage that had been done, but maybe not of the level of feelings and knowledge amongst the fanbase of what had gone on.

I then pointed out that HSH (‘that’s Stephen Horner’s lot?’ Waggott asked) had been responsible for putting our last 4 managers, including Mowbray in place. I pointed out the links to SEM and told him I was concerned they were still influencing things, and would definitely do so if we were to appoint a new manager.

His exact words were:

‘If and when the time comes that Tony decides to walk away, I will go to market and find the best possible person for the job.’

On the 5th May 2022 The Rovers Trust Board met with Waggott. The purpose was to discuss the Fan Led Review and our marketing prospectus. Naturally there was talk about the managers job, as it was a couple of days after Mowbray had first basically confirmed he was off.

He told us he had immediately started receiving expressions of interest, and would be conducting a thorough interview process, and he recognised the importance of getting this appointment right. He wouldn’t discuss individual names, but really our concern was more around the process. 

I again pointed out what had gone on before with HSH, and how Mike Cheston had had the rug pulled out from under him and we got lumbered with Coyle.

’After you mentioned that to me a while ago, I went and looked in to it, and you were absolutely right by the way, so thank you for that. But we can’t have agents involved like that, it’s a conflict of interest straight away…

I will interview a number of candidates. It will be a thorough process, and I will recommend who I believe is the best person for the job.’

I pressed him on what would happen if Venky’s ignored this and listened to Horner, Honeyman or Sheron instead.

’I’d have to quit. It would make my position untenable. I need to work with the manager day to day, I’d have to be behind any appointment.’

Whatever your feelings about Steve Waggott are, and I’ve had some real run ins with him over the last few years, you can’t deny that if reports are to be believed, he has so far been true to his word. We appear to have interviewed a number of candidates with some impressive and ambitious names being linked.

If we end up with another dickhead, it’ll be down to 3 people thousands of miles from Ewood. If that scenario does play out, I’d expect levels of animosity towards them to go back to peak levels. It certainly would for me.

Just can't trust him unfortunately as I've stated in previous posts.

Everything he's done so far points to him being untrustworthy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I don’t know why anyone would choose Carvalhal over Farke, if Farke were keen. Huge if of course.

Farke probably would be my choice but his success at Norwich wasn't just down to him.Webber had a huge role with the recruitment.

Same at Huddersfield, Wagner took the plaudits but Webber was instrumental in their promotion.

Norwich aside Farkes C.V isn't that impressive,and without the support of a Webber behind the scenes then not much to choose between himself and Carvahal at all

• Like 2

Very much doubt Waggot would be walking away from the job and wages here without a pay off.

It would be nice though just to imagine for a second that there is someone in there willing to stand up and say NO. And if they insist yes then say if you think i'm standing there in front of fans taking flak for you for this then you've another thing coming.

Nobody does that Ewood though aside from managers being front of house because everyone upstairs hides. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Farke probably would be my choice but his success at Norwich wasn't just down to him.Webber had a huge role with the recruitment.

Same at Huddersfield, Wagner took the plaudits but Webber was instrumental in their promotion.

Norwich aside Farkes C.V isn't that impressive,and without the support of a Webber behind the scenes then not much to choose between himself and Carvahal at all

No doubt will the DoF appointment be just as vital as the Head Coach, as well as their ability to work together. I just hope Venky’s realise how close we came to achieving something this season and supports whoever are next in charge with all of the BBD money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Don't agree with this at all.

That would only be the case if all five or six names on Waggott's shortlist were top names. 

Plus, we don't know what he is, or isn't, recommending to the owners. Why hasn't he cleared out the coaching staff already? Why has the fate of the existing coaching staff even been flagged up as a potential issue? Is he going to recommend to the owners we go with some desperado who's prepared to work with the existing staff at the expense of better candidates (such as Carvalhal) who aren't?

I do however obviously accept though that IF we end up with another Coyle style appointment, it will make things very toxic again.

Final point, as for him walking out if an appointment is made he does not approve of - do me a favour. He's never going to walk away from that 300k p.a. job voluntarily (sadly).