BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

4 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

To be fair I’d heard it was about 3k a week, as they’d agreed 11k with warnock. Him being really cheap was the selling point and he’d just been paid off by the team in Texas he’d been sacked from 

you get what you pay for,that saying summed up the coyle regime perfectly😪

• Like 1

Allegedly £3k for Coyle or £11k for Warnock, so a saving of £8k a week

But what do you think was the true cost?

Mowbray - Relegation - £2/£3/£4/£5 million debt maybe? Who knows

All because some incompetent cheapskates thought they’d save a few quid ... well, that backfired!

Edited by pomster
  • Like 2

Hope we steer well clear of Ferguson. Not sure exactly what he would bring to this party but an unnecessary gamble for no reason at all.

Of course people will push him, particularly from the Everton end. They don't have the balls to appoint him to their own managerial job so want him to come somewhere local, learn the trade for a couple of years, if he does well they can take him off us and if he's rubbish no harm to Everton. 

No thanks.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, pomster said:

Allegedly £3k for Coyle or £11k for Warnock, so a saving of £8k a week

But what do you think was the true cost?

Mowbray - Relegation - £2/£3/£4/£5 million debt maybe? Who knows

All because some incompetent cheapskates thought they’d save a few quid ... well, that backfired!

If the talk of Lowe, Benson etc being kept on is anything to go by, they are thinking of saving a few quid again.

For supposed billionaires who don't bat an eyelid at throwing £20m down a black hole every year, it's more than strange that they go for the cheap approach when it comes to managers.

Why is the idea of spending a bit more where it matters, to stand a chance of receiving £120m in return, seemingly of no appeal?

Anyone would think the idea of going up terrifies them, for some strange reason.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the guy has never played the game at any level,he`s done his coaching badges through textbooks,how can he instruct professional footballers if he`s never experienced the game,he`d never get anywhere near the job in a properly run club,technically i could fit someone a new roof if i read a book about it,no doubt it would end in tragedy because iv`e never actually done it in reality

Jose Mourinho - 94 games in Portuguese lower leagues…did they convince Bobby Robson to give him a job ? 

• Like 3

the guy has never played the game at any level,he`s done his coaching badges through textbooks,how can he instruct professional footballers if he`s never experienced the game,he`d never get anywhere near the job in a properly run club,technically i could fit someone a new roof if i read a book about it,no doubt it would end in tragedy because iv`e never actually done it in reality

That Portuguese translator did alright, think he ended up at Roma

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I completely understand your scepticism and lack of trust in Steve Waggott, I agree with it to a point. I do however find it ridiculous how you are happy to give the owners the benefit of the doubt time and time again.

Purely hypothetical, but If Waggott recommended 

1. Carvalhal

2. Houghton

3. Ainsworth

So no real jaw dropping candidates, all have Championship experience, all should be within our means financially.

But Venky’s decide instead for a Grayson or Pulis… managers of clearly lower calibre, reputation, ability and cost. Whose fault would that be?

Your “acceptance” of a toxic situation if we were to get another Coyle is also strange. I’d be absolutely livid with those responsible.

As for Waggott walking away, there’s been plenty of retirement rumours for a while now. Maybe he would regret saying it and think twice if it came to the crunch, but I promise you I definitely wouldn’t be letting him forget he said it.

I meant I "agree" with you it would be a toxic situation if we ended up with another Coyle style appointment. Not I "accept" it and would be happy with it!

I think this is pure supposition on your part tbh and also think you're being very generous to Waggott if you're assuming he's shortlisted five or six stellar candidates. For me he's equally likely to recommend a dolloper who's prepared to work with the existing staff to save a bit of money.

So to play devil's advocate, if we actually ended up with someone better than the likes of Carvalhal mentioned thus far, would you be prepared to give the owners credit on the basis they must have intervened and inserted someone better?

I again "accept" I.e. "agree"  you're right to be sceptical as to whether this would actually happen given their track record of appointing managers thus far but I have even less faith that Waggott wouldn't just recommend the cheapest option given his track record in general here. 

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I meant I "agree" with you it would be a toxic situation if we ended up with another Coyle style appointment. Not I "accept" it and would be happy with it!

I think this is pure supposition on your part tbh and also think you're being very generous to Waggott if you're assuming he's shortlisted five or six stellar candidates. For me he's equally likely to recommend a dolloper who's prepared to work with the existing staff to save a bit of money.

So to play devil's advocate, if we actually ended up with someone better than the likes of Carvalhal mentioned thus far, would you be prepared to give the owners credit on the basis they must have intervened and inserted someone better?

I again "accept" I.e. "agree"  you're right to be sceptical as to whether this would actually happen given their track record of appointing managers thus far but I have even less faith that Waggott wouldn't just recommend the cheapest option given his track record in general here. 

If they were to bring in someone like Dyche or Santo, I’d consider that a real statement of intent. They would get credit in as far as I’d be really happy with as good appointment, but I’d also feel it was not before time. Same really applies to Carvalhal of Farke, I think they are a tier lower than the aforementioned, but they’d be very welcome appointment and head and shoulders above what’s gone before. I don’t know how much “credit” Venky’s would deserve for proactively appointing the best person for the job. I wouldn’t praise a manager for selecting Kaminski over Pears. I’d acknowledge it though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Jose Mourinho - 94 games in Portuguese lower leagues…did they convince Bobby Robson to give him a job ? 

94 games of semi pro football,benson has`nt even played football at any level,alex ferguson did`nt play to a high level,those games did give him a grounding of what it`s like to be player though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

If the talk of Lowe, Benson etc being kept on is anything to go by, they are thinking of saving a few quid again.

For supposed billionaires who don't bat an eyelid at throwing £20m down a black hole every year, it's more than strange that they go for the cheap approach when it comes to managers.

Why is the idea of spending a bit more where it matters, to stand a chance of receiving £120m in return, seemingly of no appeal?

Anyone would think the idea of going up terrifies them, for some strange reason.

Because they'd rather have toe the liners in situ who'll put up with nonsense or no communication and be told what to do when necessary.

Don't rock the boat is the ultimate requirement and all but Lambert fit that and he bailed out before he fell out with them.

• Like 2

• Backroom
2 hours ago, 1874 said:

That Portuguese translator did alright, think he ended up at Roma

I'm sure some French fellow with only 80 appearances in his entire career did pretty well at a London club.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

So by your logic that makes Mourinho and Hodgson poor managers. I thought that way of thinking was a thing of the past. 

Benson has worked with Dean Henderson as well, who turned out alright. I would never judge a coach based on such simpleton metrics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Benson seemed to hinder both Raya and Kaminski, with their distribution. Both keepers have either lost or never had, with Benson coaching, the command of their box. Raya has improved since he hasn't had Benson coaching him. Kaminski seems to have dropped off since Benson started coaching him. To me that makes Benson a poor keeper coach. To me the relationship between a player and a coach should be professional. I doubt that relationship had any bearing what-so-ever on Kaminski signing another contract.

Raya has always had distribution as one of his main attributes, an important one in the modern game. Kaminski is a lot more awkward with the ball at his feet but has a good throw and decent kick with the ball in his hands. He had at least one assist this season. Raya is short for a top level GK so his main strength will never be commanding the box. He does, and did, however intercept a lot of attacks with his awareness and pace. Kaminski also comes off his line quite a bit but is mainly a great shot stopper. Anyhow, I can’t judge Benson based on a few highlights off the tele - I thought it was wrong to sell Raya but he wanted out in order to take the next step - that could be down to Benson and it could be down to Mowbray who didn’t exactly reassure him and strengthen his confidence with his man-management towards the end. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

Someone on Twitter is adamant that Benitez was the big name addition to the shortlist and interview process.

lets keep it real lads,rafa benitez,manager of big clubs all over europe,purveyor of the excellent valencia team of the early 2000`s and a six year tenure at liverpool,where he won the european cup,is`nt coming to ewood park🤣

Maybe he is trying to force Rovers and Waggott to make a decision quickly otherwise he will go elsewhere. Go and get Waggott and give Rovers a genuine chance of Promotion this coming season. 

I have seen people suggesting Duncan Ferguson could be the person Rovers and Waggott choose to replace Mowbray with. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

94 games of semi pro football,benson has`nt even played football at any level,alex ferguson did`nt play to a high level,those games did give him a grounding of what it`s like to be player though

Nonsense,  Fergie played for the Pars!!

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like Carvalhal won't be coming here now. Massive opportunity miss here

Carpetbagger. What has he done in management other than nearly bankrupt Sheffield Wednesday? Won't be missed - there's better out there.

• Like 1

Let's be honest. If there is genuine interest from another club or the manager concerned can command offers from elsewhere then we will miss out.

The reason Carvalhal has managed all over the place is because he is sought after.

The reason all our other Venky managers and most of the other names linked are in the reckoning is because they wouldn't get near a Championship job elsewhere 

We will balls this up I'm confident of that. I'm also increasingly of the belief that things are being dripped to the local media in an attempt to boost embarrassing season ticket sales. The latest being 'big name' interest in the job.

• Like 2